Proof of the Resurrection

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2016, 10:52 PM
Proof of the Resurrection
I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but my husband is a strong born again Christian still. He's highly intelligent and it is difficult to go head to head with him because he's well read and I've only been an atheist for less than a year.

He posted this article and I was hoping some could help me on this. I know it's a lot to ask, but I need any help that I can get. I'm also going to look things up. I just listened to this video and I thought it was good and made sense. https://youtu.be/H7OJW9lxVO4

But I also see why the article makes sense to believers.
http://www.leaderu.com/everystudent/east...josh2.html

Thank you!!!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2016, 11:17 PM
RE: Proof of the Resurrection
Don't worry, you will get a plethora of responses here, mostly centering around the fact that the bible is NOT proof of anything, it's only a claim. If we are to see every book ever written that tells a story with no other corroborating evidence as truth, then Harry Potter is alive and well in England. His article will be ripped to shreds on here. I'm about to go to sleep but I trust by the time I wake up this will be refuted quite nicely.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
26-03-2016, 11:20 PM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2016 11:24 PM by JDog554.)
Edit: Also recommend a read of this post by Bucky

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 4 users Like JDog554's post
26-03-2016, 11:23 PM
(26-03-2016 11:17 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Don't worry, you will get a plethora of responses here, mostly centering around the fact that the bible is NOT proof of anything, it's only a claim. If we are to see every book ever written that tells a story with no other corroborating evidence as truth, then Harry Potter is alive and well in England. His article will be ripped to shreds on here. I'm about to go to sleep but I trust by the time I wake up this will be refuted quite nicely.

Thank you! I hope so. I feel at a disadvantage on facts because I've only been reading and listening for a year.
26-03-2016, 11:29 PM
I'm on my phone or else I would post this for you. But look up Bart Ehrmans talk on who wrote the gospels on you tube. That will explain a lot of the article away re:witnesses and who actually wrote the gospels and why you find some similarities and some differences.

The OT does not mention jesus in prophecy. That is a fabrication by the Christian church. The OT does not mention Jesus, which is why many Jews dispute Jesus being godly. Look up rabbi Michael Skobac. He has several you tube videos that explain this in detail.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
26-03-2016, 11:33 PM
(26-03-2016 11:29 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I'm on my phone or else I would post this for you. But look up Bart Ehrmans talk on who wrote the gospels on you tube. That will explain a lot of the article away re:witnesses and who actually wrote the gospels and why you find some similarities and some differences.

The OT does not mention jesus in prophecy. That is a fabrication by the Christian church. The OT does not mention Jesus, which is why many Jews dispute Jesus being godly. Look up rabbi Michael Skobac. He has several you tube videos that explain this in detail.

i thought Melchizedek was the mention of jesus. thats what my preacher said anyway.
[+] 1 user Likes Jewelarcher's post
26-03-2016, 11:59 PM
Josh McDowell is a bullshit artist.

"Here are some of the facts relevant to the resurrection"

These are not "facts." They are claims which have no facts to substantiate them.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
27-03-2016, 12:09 AM
(26-03-2016 10:52 PM)SallyBr0wn Wrote:  I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but my husband is a strong born again Christian still. He's highly intelligent and it is difficult to go head to head with him because he's well read and I've only been an atheist for less than a year.

He posted this article and I was hoping some could help me on this. I know it's a lot to ask, but I need any help that I can get. I'm also going to look things up. I just listened to this video and I thought it was good and made sense. https://youtu.be/H7OJW9lxVO4

But I also see why the article makes sense to believers.
http://www.leaderu.com/everystudent/east...josh2.html

Thank you!!!

Maybe start by asking yourself why Jewish people don't believe? There are reasons they reject the idea of the "messiah" story -- and they're quite valid.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
27-03-2016, 12:45 AM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2016 12:48 AM by The Organic Chemist.)
Josh McDowell is a charlatan. I would look up refutations to "Evidence That Demands A Verdict" as his arguments have already been thoroughly debunked.

Edit: in light of what Moms said, PM Aliza. She is a Jew and can give you a detailed explanation. You can also search her posts as she has given many great responses.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
27-03-2016, 01:33 AM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2016 01:38 AM by Deesse23.)
Im not going into all details of this bullshit. I got better things to do. What the author does ist assume that everything the bible states is in fact true, and that is either utterlly dishonest or utterly stupid. Since there is not even any mentioning of jesus outside the bible, let alone of his resurrection, the bible is the claim. Evidence must be presented from outside the bible. The bible cant prove itself. Otherwise Star wars proves itself. I have heard Han solo confirmed that everything from the past 35y of movies was true, so it was true? Gimme a break.
Nevertheless a short breakdown of the most vapid stuff:

Quote:either one of the most wicked, vicious, heartless hoaxes ever foisted on the minds of human beings--or it is the most remarkable fact of history

False dichotomy.
Another option would be (and ist most probably true): in absense of real documents from the time of J.C.s lifetime, stories were made up...for various reasons (early christians wanted him to have been resurrected?). The main point being: no genuin documentation about his life is availiable.
Also: Eliminating one option (hoax) doesnt make another option more true. Each claim needs its own evidence.

Quote:Jesus of Nazareth, a Jewish prophet
Self proclaimed prophet

Quote: was arrested, was judged a political criminal, and was crucified
This is still debated in the community of historians.

Quote:Three days after His death and burial, some women who went to His tomb found the body gone. In subsequent weeks, His disciples claimed that God had raised Him from the dead and that He appeared to them various times before ascending into heaven.
Wild ass assertion/speculation. Claiming that all the above is fact to prove the resurrection is laughable, because it is the claim of resurrection. Nothing can prove itself, thats circular reasoning. Here we have the first indication, that the author of the article is most probably dishonest.
This is the claim, the evidence is still 100% absent.

Quote:The New Testament accounts of the resurrection were being circulated within the lifetimes of men and women alive at the time of the resurrection
Dishonesty shows more and more.
Noone knows what was "circulated" within the lifetime of Jesus. The earliest writings/gospels are dated several decades after J.C.s supposed death.
Good luck proving that everything written down in, say 60ad matches with what was being talked about in 35ad.

Quote:The writers of the four Gospels either had themselves been witnesses or else were relating the accounts of eyewitnesses of the actual events
Another lie/wild assertion. Nobody knows who the authors of the gospels were.
So how do we know that these unknown persons knew eyewhitnesses......?*sniff*
smells like, bullshit. Even if both claims were true, how do we know that the writings match with what the "eyewhitnesses" have seen? Its all vapid, utter nonsense.

Quote:By the end of the 1 9th century, however, archaeological discoveries had confirmed the accuracy of the New Testament manuscripts
What exactly has been confirmed? And even if something else has been confirmed, the resurrection was not confiremd. The only confirmation for resurrection is the confirmation of resurrection (duh). Just because some things in the bible may(!) be true, doesnt make the whole story true (else Spiderman would exist, cuz New York exists).
[+] 4 users Like Deesse23's post