Proof that God doesn't exist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2017, 02:51 AM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2017 05:04 AM by DLJ.)
Proof that God doesn't exist
Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to prove that God doesn't exist. The following is a proof that the existence of God is a logical impossibility.

Assume for the sake of argument that God exists. It follows from the definition of God that God is omnipotent. Being omnipotent, God can do anything. In particular, he can create an immovable object, that is, an object that neither he nor anyone else can ever move. Now assuming that God creates such an immovable object, can he then move it? Either he can or he can't. If he can move it, then the object was not immovable, a contradiction. If he can't move it, then he is not omnipotent, again a contradiction. Thus the hypothesis (i.e., that God exists) leads to a contradiction, and so must be false. Therefore, God doesn’t exist. Q.E.D.

A detailed discussion of the problems associated with a belief in God can be found in the “Religion” chapter of my book Cutting the Gordian Knot: Simple Solutions to Complex Societal Problems.

Stanley Korn
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes stanleykorn's post
02-01-2017, 06:34 AM
RE: Proof that God doesn't exist
There are so many descriptions of god(s) that the word has lost almost all meaning, and omnipotence is not trait ascribed to all of them.

The Christian god is not omnipotent (i.e. iron chariots; Judges 1:19), also he couldn't forgive peoples sins without sacrificing himself to himself or whatever... So he is described as powerful but still limited.

There are descriptions of gods of the sea, land, thunder, on and on and on... all with their own sets of limitations.

Don't get me wrong, they are all nonsense, but technically not impossible.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
02-01-2017, 06:53 AM
(02-01-2017 02:51 AM)stanleykorn Wrote:  Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to prove that God doesn't exist. The following is a proof that the existence of God is a logical impossibility.

Assume for the sake of argument that God exists. It follows from the definition of God that God is omnipotent. Being omnipotent, God can do anything. In particular, he can create an immovable object, that is, an object that neither he nor anyone else can ever move. Now assuming that God creates such an immovable object, can he then move it? Either he can or he can't. If he can move it, then the object was not immovable, a contradiction. If he can't move it, then he is not omnipotent, again a contradiction. Thus the hypothesis (i.e., that God exists) leads to a contradiction, and so must be false. Therefore, God doesn’t exist. Q.E.D.

A detailed discussion of the problems associated with a belief in God can be found in the “Religion” chapter of my book Cutting the Gordian Knot: Simple Solutions to Complex Societal Problems.

Stanley Korn

In other news, John smith writes a book about how awesome playing videogames are and how they're a great new emergent art form, then proceeds to post about his book on 4Chan, Reddit, Giant Bomb, Kotaku, Gamespot, and NeoGaf, for a book entitled "Games Are Awesome, and So Are You For Playing Them!". The internet responds with a resounding 'meh'. Turns out they knew that already.

More news at 11.

PS: If you create an account, and your first post is hawking your book, expect some blow-back. We're a community, not a sales demographic.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 10 users Like EvolutionKills's post
02-01-2017, 06:58 AM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2017 07:02 AM by GirlyMan.)
(02-01-2017 02:51 AM)stanleykorn Wrote:  A detailed discussion of the problems associated with a belief in God can be found in the “Religion” chapter of my book Cutting the Gordian Knot: Simple Solutions to Complex Societal Problems.

I did take a gander at your book but honestly I didn't make it past the part where people need to pass various fitness tests and get a parenting license from the state before they can reproduce. That doesn't sound very simple to me. Well that and you advertise yourself as a certified psi operator (pounds per square inch?) and a psychic reader.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-01-2017, 07:03 AM
(02-01-2017 06:58 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Well that and you advertise yourself as a certified psi operator (pounds per square inch?) and a psychic reader.

Really? That's too fucking funny.

[Image: really-pl-ffffff-3.jpeg]

Just more proof that you don't have to be skeptical to think god is bullshit. Being an atheist is not protection against all woo-woo bullshit.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
02-01-2017, 07:21 AM
I could envision a situation in which the laws of physics are altered in such a way to make a movable object, unmovable and then altering the laws again so it can be moved.

Kind of like me with my car on a flat driving surface.
With the car in park, I can't physically push it.
With the car in neutral, I can push it.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
02-01-2017, 07:22 AM
(02-01-2017 02:51 AM)stanleykorn Wrote:  Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to prove that God doesn't exist. The following is a proof that the existence of God is a logical impossibility.

Stanley Korn

This is an argument against omnipotence, an omnipotent god isn't logically tenable, neither are the other omni's.

It's not evidence that a god doesn't exist.

This is where the believer unleashes their special pile of definitions of god, attributes for their god, etc.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
02-01-2017, 07:50 AM

Stanley Korn

...and if you order within the next ten minutes we will send you a second copy of Cutting the Gordian Knot: Simple Solutions to Complex Societal Problems; you just pay shipping and handling...

This commercial break brought to you by Stanley Korn.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
02-01-2017, 09:18 AM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2017 09:27 AM by epronovost.)
(02-01-2017 02:51 AM)stanleykorn Wrote:  Simple Solutions to Complex Societal Problems

I can see a problem right there.

PS: I love the part where you say that criminal should pay for their own incarceration by selling their entire property and up to their organs and even flesh for distribution in restaurent (despite the multiple dangers of cannibalism).

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 6 users Like epronovost's post
02-01-2017, 09:27 AM
(02-01-2017 09:18 AM)epronovost Wrote:  
(02-01-2017 02:51 AM)stanleykorn Wrote:  Simple Solutions to Complex Societal Problems

I can see a problem right there.

Yeah, my first thought was that it should be

[Overly] Simplistic Solutions to Complex Societal Problems

I'm also still wondering how god making a rock is a societal problem.
Consider

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post