Proof that God doesn't exist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2017, 09:27 AM
RE: Proof that God doesn't exist
Some of his books look like they might be interesting. "New Hope for the Severely Gifted" sounds clever. "Mastering Parallel Parking" sounds like a good name for a reality show. And who wouldn't want a rangefinder for their catapult?

A Procedure for Exchanging Unwanted Items
A Proof of the Existence of the Soul
A Proposed Method to Eliminate All Taxes
A Solution to the Crime Problem
An Activation Energy Model for Psi Operation
Consciousness and the Incompleteness of Science
Doing the "Impossible: Unlocking Creativity by Overcoming the Limitations of Conventional Wisdom
Focusing Your Psi Energy: Bending, Mending, and Sending
Frames of Consciousness: A Guide to Exploring Alternate Realities
Identity Theft: A Thing of the Past?
Information Technology In and Beyond the 21st Century
Mastering Parallel Parking
New Hope for the Severely Gifted
Our Educational System: What's Wrong With It and How It Can Be Improved
Psychic Phenomena: A Challenge to Modern Science
The Low-Tech Solution: Designing a Rangefinder for a Catapult

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2017, 09:29 AM
So, links from a newbie is frowned upon but hawking their book in Post No. 1 is ok? Hmmm...

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-01-2017, 09:40 AM
(02-01-2017 09:27 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Yeah, my first thought was that it should be

[Overly] Simplistic Solutions to Complex Societal Problems

I'm also still wondering how god making a rock is a societal problem.
Consider

It's very simple, he proceed from a supremely self-centered point of view. Everything that bothers or puts him in danger is a problem. Then, he proceeds to find a solution that benefits him and remove the problem with all the subtility of a garbage truck on a humid hot summer day. Prisonners cost money? They should pay for their jail time. I pay too much taxes? Lets cut in the probrams I don't use (AKA help to the destitutes). Children are crying and making scenes in public? Bad parent shouldn't exist. Religious people are talking about God? Present a basic argument against a definition of God and call it a day. When you don't think about other people then yourself all the problem in the world become really easy to solve.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
02-01-2017, 10:17 AM
(02-01-2017 02:51 AM)stanleykorn Wrote:  Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to prove that God doesn't exist. The following is a proof that the existence of God is a logical impossibility.

Assume for the sake of argument that God exists. It follows from the definition of God that God is omnipotent. Being omnipotent, God can do anything. In particular, he can create an immovable object, that is, an object that neither he nor anyone else can ever move. Now assuming that God creates such an immovable object, can he then move it? Either he can or he can't. If he can move it, then the object was not immovable, a contradiction. If he can't move it, then he is not omnipotent, again a contradiction. Thus the hypothesis (i.e., that God exists) leads to a contradiction, and so must be false. Therefore, God doesn’t exist. Q.E.D.

A detailed discussion of the problems associated with a belief in God can be found in the “Religion” chapter of my book Cutting the Gordian Knot: Simple Solutions to Complex Societal Problems.

Stanley Korn

Lots of logical fail, and the psi stuff is quackery. Here is your award.

[Image: V1em467.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
02-01-2017, 11:30 AM
(02-01-2017 06:53 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  PS: If you create an account, and your first post is hawking your book, expect some blow-back. We're a community, not a sales demographic.

And, yet, some mod approved that post. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
02-01-2017, 12:07 PM
(02-01-2017 11:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-01-2017 06:53 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  PS: If you create an account, and your first post is hawking your book, expect some blow-back. We're a community, not a sales demographic.

And, yet, some mod approved that post. Consider

Don't look at me, I don't even work here.

I just keep the rest of you misanthrops company. Big Grin

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
02-01-2017, 12:08 PM
(02-01-2017 09:29 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  So, links from a newbie is frowned upon but hawking their book in Post No. 1 is ok? Hmmm...

I deleted the links before approval. Me no fan of solicitors. But I thought some might want to look it up for shits and giggles so I left the title.

Seems like Girly got some mileage.

Wink

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
02-01-2017, 12:14 PM
So this chap thinks that gods are impossible, but believes in souls? SMH

As for parallel parking, the best tutorial I ever read on that was on the Art of Manliness website. (TL;DR version: Just back the car in at 45° and Bob's your uncle.)
[+] 2 users Like Astreja's post
02-01-2017, 12:28 PM
(02-01-2017 12:08 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(02-01-2017 09:29 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  So, links from a newbie is frowned upon but hawking their book in Post No. 1 is ok? Hmmm...

I deleted the links before approval. Me no fan of solicitors. But I thought some might want to look it up for shits and giggles so I left the title.

Seems like Girly got some mileage.

Wink

I'm only here for the shits and giggles. This one was pretty good. And I got to learn about The Thousand® . Cool. Big Grin

#sigh
02-01-2017, 01:08 PM
I think we all understand the paradox of an all powerful being coming into existence and also all knowing, all good, etc. but as others have pointed out that doesn't remove the possibility of a lesser God from existing or just a very powerful wizard being that simply doesn't care. A wizard could become all powerful, like a genie, but can only access those powers when called upon or asked to so they are trapped, very very powerful but very much a prisoner.

Also the possibility of an all powerful being that is not all good, yes they can do anything but they choose not to, they just don't give a fuck about any of it. Great power doesn't automatically mean great love, they could just be indifferent.

Also the whole thing of "Can this all powerful being be defeated or create a situation where they can be beaten?" Well no, but we're talking about power here so yeah they can't create a boulder they can't lift up, they can lift anything but that doesn't mean this being can't exist, they just won't be all good, all knowing, and all that stuff, that's when it get's more and more impossible.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]