Proof that God doesn't exist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2017, 07:53 PM
RE: Proof that God doesn't exist
(02-01-2017 02:51 AM)stanleykorn Wrote:  Assume for the sake of argument that God exists. It follows from the definition of God that God is omnipotent.

I believe in a God who is not omniscient. There you go, it was that easy. Next.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like france's post
22-03-2017, 08:45 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2017 07:58 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(02-01-2017 02:51 AM)stanleykorn Wrote:  Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to prove that God doesn't exist. The following is a proof that the existence of God is a logical impossibility.

Assume for the sake of argument that God exists. It follows from the definition of God that God is omnipotent. Being omnipotent, God can do anything. In particular, he can create an immovable object, that is, an object that neither he nor anyone else can ever move. Now assuming that God creates such an immovable object, can he then move it? Either he can or he can't. If he can move it, then the object was not immovable, a contradiction. If he can't move it, then he is not omnipotent, again a contradiction. Thus the hypothesis (i.e., that God exists) leads to a contradiction, and so must be false. Therefore, God doesn’t exist. Q.E.D.

A detailed discussion of the problems associated with a belief in God can be found in the “Religion” chapter of my book Cutting the Gordian Knot: Simple Solutions to Complex Societal Problems.

Stanley Korn

Nope. Meaningless drivel.
Logic is necessary, but not sufficient. Typical amateur error.
There are logics that are perfectly consistent, and correct, but do not obtain in Reality.
Reality has been proven to be non-intuitive.
There is no such thing as an "immovable object". Any object has movement within it, and you have not defined how or what an immovable object would be. Your assumptions are unexamined. Your statement "it follows from the definition of a god, that it is omnipotent" is false, and unsupported. You haven't provided a coherent definition of a god, or explained how it "follows".

TTA is on the nut-a-week plan.
As this week's drop-by nut, hawking your wares, do we get the nut-of-the-week discount ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
22-03-2017, 08:56 PM
OP, just so you know. I hate shitty commercials. Especially from quacks who think they can "see spirits" or whatever.

HOWEVER if you do stick with google adds, I can't tell you what a fuckwit you are. So there's that advantage.

Not reading it, not interested.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
22-03-2017, 09:18 PM
>The Christian God is defined by mainstream Christianity as being all-knowing, all-loving, all-powerful, and all just. Yet even a cursory reading of the bible reveals a God who is cruel, unjust, tyrannical, unloving and eternally vengeful. Ergo, the Christian God does not exist by reason of self-contradiction.

>An all-loving, all-powerful, all-knowing God, by definition, cannot create evil or permit evil to exist in the world. And yet, evil exists. Ergo, God, as he is defined, does not exist on the grounds of self-contradiction.

>The law of conservation of matter and energy states that the total quantity of energy in the universe remains the same. Matter and energy are interchangeable, but neither can be created or destroyed. Ergo, the universe has always existed and will always exist in one form or another. God is unnecessary by the Principle of Parsimony.

>The natural histories of religions are well-documented. The behavioral causes of religions are well-known. There is no evidence that religions are the products of anything other than human ingenuity and imagination. Ergo, atheism is rational and skeptically unassailable.
[+] 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post
23-03-2017, 06:33 PM
(22-03-2017 07:53 PM)france Wrote:  
(02-01-2017 02:51 AM)stanleykorn Wrote:  Assume for the sake of argument that God exists. It follows from the definition of God that God is omnipotent.

In other words, not the god of Bible who we are assured by revelation is omniscient. OK, be a heretic, see if we care.

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
23-03-2017, 06:53 PM
(22-03-2017 07:53 PM)france Wrote:  

Not much of a god, then is it?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
23-03-2017, 08:50 PM
(23-03-2017 06:53 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(22-03-2017 07:53 PM)france Wrote:  I believe in a God who is not omniscient. There you go, it was that easy. Next.

Not much of a god, then is it?

I'm pointing out how futile it is to prove God doesn't exist.
23-03-2017, 09:22 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2017 09:33 PM by Alla.)
stanleykorn Wrote:Assume for the sake of argument that God exists.
Yes, let's assume this. Let's also assume that God exists in REAL world where REAL things happen.
stanleykorn Wrote:It follows from the definition of God that God is omnipotent. Being omnipotent, God can do anything. In particular, he can create an immovable object, that is, an object that neither he nor anyone else can ever move.
In REAL world there is no such thing as immovable object. Immovable object is someone's fantasy.
If we assume that there is REAL God who exists in REAL world then we have to assume that He can do ALL/ANY REAL things.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
23-03-2017, 09:33 PM
(23-03-2017 09:22 PM)Alla Wrote:  
stanleykorn Wrote:Assume for the sake of argument that God exists.
Yes, let's assume this. Let's also assume that God exists in REAL world where REAL things happen.
stanleykorn Wrote:It follows from the definition of God that God is omnipotent. Being omnipotent, God can do anything. In particular, he can create an immovable object, that is, an object that neither he nor anyone else can ever move.
There is no such thing as immovable object. Immovable object is someone's fantasy.
If we assume that there is REAL God who exists in REAL world then we have to assume that He can do ALL/ANY REAL things.

Alla, I don’t think you understand the point. Let me help, please answer the following two questions.

Can God create anything?

Can God do anything?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
23-03-2017, 09:41 PM
Full Circle Wrote:Alla, I don’t think you understand the point. Let me help, please answer the following two questions.
I think I understand the point.

Full Circle Wrote:Can God create anything?
If we talk about real world where supposedly real God exists then, yes, He can create anything, meaning any realistic thing. No fantasies exist in real world.

Full Circle Wrote:Can God do anything?

The same thing.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED