Proof that God exists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Proof that God exists
Just signed up for this and spent my commute today listening to the 'Proof that God exists' podcast. Has anyone nailed that guy yet?? I want the right words to counter his one argument i.e. that to know anything we need god. His website is unbelievable. It is circular reasoning gone mad, in my opinion, i think, with my brain etc etc etc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Ianke64's post
17-04-2012, 06:02 PM
RE: Proof that God exists
The argument is "well you can't use logic at me because my god invented logic and therefore if my god is false your logic is false therefore my god is true". Well, let's just finish the sentence then shall we? ", therefore my god is false as you say, therefore my god is true, therefore my god is..."

It's stupid. It's like Alvin Plangina's argument that in order for the set of natural number to be infinite some mind needs to exist that is so big that it can count them. It's herp de derp de derpdy dumb. There's no basis for it whatsoever. It's playground nonsense. "I know you are so what am I?". Dumb de dumb dumb.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
17-04-2012, 08:11 PM
(17-04-2012 06:02 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  The argument is "well you can't use logic at me because my god invented logic and therefore if my god is false your logic is false therefore my god is true". Well, let's just finish the sentence then shall we? ", therefore my god is false as you say, therefore my god is true, therefore my god is..."

It's stupid. It's like Alvin Plangina's argument that in order for the set of natural number to be infinite some mind needs to exist that is so big that it can count them. It's herp de derp de derpdy dumb. There's no basis for it whatsoever. It's playground nonsense. "I know you are so what am I?". Dumb de dumb dumb.

It's one of the easiest fallacies to spot. The Fallacy of the False Premise. His god did not invent logic ... bla bla bla.

If the streets are wet, it has rained recently. (premise)
The streets are wet. (premise)
Therefore it has rained recently. (conclusion)

The argument is logically valid, but obviously wrong. because its first premise is false - you could hose down the streets, or a local river could have flooded. Sometimes, though, an argument based on false premises can in fact be true. It may well be that it has recently rained, and that the streets are wet. This of course does nothing to prove the first premise, but can make its claims more difficult to refute. This underlies the problem of establishing causal relationships.

My favorite example of this :
An old cowboy goes into a bar and orders a drink. As he sits there sipping his whiskey, a young lady sits down next to him. ... She says, 'I'm a lesbian. I spend my whole day thinking about women. ...' A little while later, a couple sits down next to the old cowboy and asks him, 'Are you a real cowboy?' He replies, 'I always thought I was, but I just found out I'm a lesbian."
Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 7 users Like Bucky Ball's post
17-04-2012, 09:48 PM (This post was last modified: 17-04-2012 10:00 PM by GirlyMan.)
(17-04-2012 08:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The argument is logically valid. ...

Reason admits that it is a piss-poor replacement for God. Reason can't be God and Gödel the Destroyer proved it. I treat reason as a tool, not a guiding principle. ... But we all just do what we will. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
18-04-2012, 08:55 AM
I heard the podcast. I find it ridiculous that he genuinely believes everybody, including atheists believe in God. The fact that he sees the proof for God sooo clear and undoubtfully absolutely correct, that he believes atheists believe in God, just bewilders me.
18-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Yeah, couldn't believe hi example.
'Do you think childabuse is absolutely morally wrong?'
What is it with always bringing up childabuse??

The word abuse is by definition -wrong- isn't it?

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
18-04-2012, 04:17 PM (This post was last modified: 19-04-2012 07:07 AM by ClydeLee.)
Well with his website, it's pretty easy.

If you click, I don't know if God Exists... It's follow up question answers ask: False or Absolutely true... It's neither. It's a cornering the idea in a ridiculous pattern. We don't know.. therefore we need to find evidence.

He's deluded in some absolute knowledge being from the Bible... At first I was curious to why he believes in the Christian God and Bible, but I know it's most likely a circular reasoning pattern.

Even if you click and agree that all these absolute/moral/universal/immaterial laws exist... What's his reasoning to get that it means God.. The Bible. Right away his first comment is that the Bible says... No where does he explain how the bible is accepted as true over another holybook.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
18-04-2012, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 21-04-2012 10:30 PM by Grassy Knoll.)
This is like asking the question; What's more important, my perception of reality or the reality of my perception? It's the kind of circular logic that can mean everything and nothing at the same time... Tongue

(17-04-2012 10:40 AM)Ianke64 Wrote:  Has anyone nailed that guy yet??

I think C0nc0rdance nailed him pretty good on the Magic Sandwich Show, see @16:09

Personally, I think using word conundrums is such a silly argument for proving anything and this Sye guy shouldn't even be taken seriously. Laughat
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Grassy Knoll's post
21-04-2012, 09:12 PM
I would concur that the presuppositional approach is a circular argument, and I found a picture of it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=impossib...6QGmjemmBA

Listing to that podcast was painful. Mr. Sye, If your God instructed you to molest a child for fun, would it still be absolutely morally wrong?

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
21-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that Sye sounds like a broken record both on the TTA video and the above video?