Propaganda by mail from the Heartland Institute

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2017, 08:11 AM
Propaganda by mail from the Heartland Institute
One perk(?) of being in academia is getting shit like this for free. A little piece of propaganda (came with a DVD too) from the Heartland Institute:

I'll highlight one quote to highlight the magnitude of idiocy therein.
"At the current level of ~400 ppm we still live in a CO2-starved world. Atmospheric levels 15 times greater existed during the Cambrian (550 million years ago) with no known adverse effects."
So many things in one short paragraph
1) atmospheric CO2 levels having been higher in the past doesn't mean we live in a "CO2-starved world." This indicates a lack of understanding of equilibrium and the carbon cycle
2) the Cambrian was from 541 to 485 million years ago. What self-respecting geologist would add their name to a book that can't even get basic age information correct?
3) by some estimates, the Cambrian oceans were unrealistically hot (2-3 times the thermal maximum for macroinvertebrates). While those estimates are almost certainly too warm, the Cambrian was nonetheless a lot warmer than today
4) there were no plants in the Cambrian!! Seriously, they couldn't have picked a period in the Phanerozoic more disparate from today. In fact, there was probably nothing living on land for the bulk of the Cambrian

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
04-04-2017, 10:12 AM
RE: Propaganda by mail from the Heartland Institute
Presumably there is little in the way of references to peer-reviewed research in this?

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post
04-04-2017, 10:19 AM
Okay. This is my major issue with climate change deniers.
What do they hope to gain from denying the earth is getting warmer, shorelines are shrinking and fossil fuels are finite.

Like really. What do they personally gain?? I understand the billionaires. They can continue raping the earth for profit.

But the poor, middle-American masses? WTF. This is an issue where you know they just are not thinking for themselves. They are being told what to to think by their political party. Fucking THINK for yourselves, assholes!

And also, why do they fight so hard against green energy? They do realize the earth only has so much fossil fuel, and once it's gone we better have a backup plan!

I really just can't with this level of stupidity.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like ShadowProject's post
04-04-2017, 10:36 AM
(04-04-2017 10:19 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Okay. This is my major issue with climate change deniers.
What do they hope to gain from denying the earth is getting warmer, shorelines are shrinking and fossil fuels are finite.

Like really. What do they personally gain?? I understand the billionaires. They can continue raping the earth for profit.

But the poor, middle-American masses? WTF. This is an issue where you know they just are not thinking for themselves. They are being told what to to think by their political party. Fucking THINK for yourselves, assholes!

And also, why do they fight so hard against green energy? They do realize the earth only has so much fossil fuel, and once it's gone we better have a backup plan!

Coal Mining Jobs Trump Would Bring Back No Longer Exist

Why do they think green energy is going to cost jobs instead of creating many more? 'Cause they're stupid, that's why.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-04-2017, 10:49 AM
(04-04-2017 10:19 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Okay. This is my major issue with climate change deniers.

"They are being told what to to think by their political party. Fucking THINK for yourselves, assholes!"

My father-in-law (FIL) is a great example of what is going on, they think they are thinking for themselves because they aren't agreeing with the scientists who advocate for ACC (Anthropogenic climate change). To them, the ultimate skepticism is to be skeptical of the experts that disagree with the "experts" they like. To put it more simply, they don't know how to actually do their own research or properly vet their sources. To people like my FIL, this little piece of mailed propaganda would be considered an excellent resource. The fact that it has to be mailed out like a political pamphlet would be taken as a sign that the scientists (those in on the "conspiracy" of ACC) are preventing them from publishing it elsewhere and not that it is a big pile of dogshit.

-Rick
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
04-04-2017, 10:50 AM
(04-04-2017 10:12 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  Presumably there is little in the way of references to peer-reviewed research in this?

I haven't even bothered to try and look for any references. They didn't reference anything in post I quoted, and it clearly needs citations for both the CO2 concentration number as well as the "no known adverse effects" line. It's all bullshit masquerading as informed science.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
04-04-2017, 10:54 AM
(04-04-2017 10:50 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(04-04-2017 10:12 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  Presumably there is little in the way of references to peer-reviewed research in this?

I haven't even bothered to try and look for any references. They didn't reference anything in post I quoted, and it clearly needs citations for both the CO2 concentration number as well as the "no known adverse effects" line. It's all bullshit masquerading as informed science.

Silly Deity was making a joke, silly BeardedClam.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
04-04-2017, 10:57 AM
(04-04-2017 10:54 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-04-2017 10:50 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I haven't even bothered to try and look for any references. They didn't reference anything in post I quoted, and it clearly needs citations for both the CO2 concentration number as well as the "no known adverse effects" line. It's all bullshit masquerading as informed science.

Silly Deity was making a joke, silly BeardedClam.

My clam is smooth today

-Rick
04-04-2017, 11:38 AM
I just wanted to share this.

Send this to everyone you know that denies climate change:

https://www.skepticalscience.com

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
04-04-2017, 01:09 PM
(04-04-2017 08:11 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  One perk(?) of being in academia is getting shit like this for free. A little piece of propaganda (came with a DVD too) from the Heartland Institute:

Yeah, I posted this in the climate change discussion a few days ago:

"The Heartland Institute, a nonprofit research and education organization, recently sent approximately 25,000 science teachers a package containing information denying climate change, PBS's Frontline reports. The Heartland Institute is known for rejecting evidence of man-made global warming. Teachers all across the country opened their packages to find a book titled Why Scientists Disagree About Global Warming, as well as a DVD that argues that rising temperatures are not due to human activity but have been happening naturally over the years. According to Frontline, the organization plans to send the same package to another 25,000 teachers every two weeks until they have supplied one to every public school science teacher in the country."

http://www.teenvogue.com/story/heartland...books-dvds