Propaganda by mail from the Heartland Institute

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2017, 02:44 PM
RE: Propaganda by mail from the Heartland Institute
(04-04-2017 01:09 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(04-04-2017 08:11 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  One perk(?) of being in academia is getting shit like this for free. A little piece of propaganda (came with a DVD too) from the Heartland Institute:

Yeah, I posted this in the climate change discussion a few days ago:

"The Heartland Institute, a nonprofit research and education organization, recently sent approximately 25,000 science teachers a package containing information denying climate change, PBS's Frontline reports. The Heartland Institute is known for rejecting evidence of man-made global warming. Teachers all across the country opened their packages to find a book titled Why Scientists Disagree About Global Warming, as well as a DVD that argues that rising temperatures are not due to human activity but have been happening naturally over the years. According to Frontline, the organization plans to send the same package to another 25,000 teachers every two weeks until they have supplied one to every public school science teacher in the country."

http://www.teenvogue.com/story/heartland...books-dvds

I have no idea what possible motivations these idiots could even have? It can't be a business thing cause businessmen ain't stupid and know how to read the writing on the wall. An anti-big government thing? Do you need to see videos of the Cuyahoga again? An anti-science thing? Well that's just fucking stupid. Some sorta religidiocy thing? Which one? Consider

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
04-04-2017, 02:55 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/201...with:img-2

Heartland institute is mentioned. Probably the scariest article I've read this year Sadcryface

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
04-04-2017, 02:56 PM
(04-04-2017 02:44 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I have no idea what possible motivations these idiots could even have? It can't be a business thing cause businessmen ain't stupid and know how to read the writing on the wall. An anti-big government thing? Do you need to see videos of the Cuyahoga again? An anti-science thing? Well that's just fucking stupid. Some sorta religidiocy thing? Which one? Consider

It's all about fossil fuel industries paying for political thinkers to say what they want. Think Koch brothers:

"According to investigative reporter Jane Mayer and the environmental NGO Greenpeace, the Koch brothers have played an active role in opposing climate change legislation. Climate change skeptic Willie Soon received $230,000 from the Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation. Organizations that the Koch brothers help fund, such as Americans for Prosperity, The Heritage Foundation, the Cato Institute, and the Manhattan Institute, have been active in questioning global warming. Americans for Prosperity and the Koch brothers influenced more than 400 members of Congress to sign a pledge to vote against climate change legislation that does not include offsetting tax cuts."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koch_family
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
04-04-2017, 02:59 PM
(04-04-2017 02:56 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(04-04-2017 02:44 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I have no idea what possible motivations these idiots could even have? It can't be a business thing cause businessmen ain't stupid and know how to read the writing on the wall. An anti-big government thing? Do you need to see videos of the Cuyahoga again? An anti-science thing? Well that's just fucking stupid. Some sorta religidiocy thing? Which one? Consider

It's all about fossil fuel industries paying for political thinkers to say what they want. Think Koch brothers:

"According to investigative reporter Jane Mayer and the environmental NGO Greenpeace, the Koch brothers have played an active role in opposing climate change legislation. Climate change skeptic Willie Soon received $230,000 from the Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation. Organizations that the Koch brothers help fund, such as Americans for Prosperity, The Heritage Foundation, the Cato Institute, and the Manhattan Institute, have been active in questioning global warming. Americans for Prosperity and the Koch brothers influenced more than 400 members of Congress to sign a pledge to vote against climate change legislation that does not include offsetting tax cuts."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koch_family

But why? These bastards ain't stupid and no doubt started minimizing their exposure to the fossil fuel market long ago. Is it just that they want to suck it out of principle. 'Cause I could at least understand that.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
04-04-2017, 03:01 PM
(04-04-2017 02:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  But why? These bastards ain't stupid and no doubt started minimizing their exposure to the fossil fuel market long ago. Is it just that they want to suck it out of principle. 'Cause I could at least understand that.

I think we need numbers. IIRC global oil industry dwarfs clean energy and pretty much everything else at the moment by a huge margin. Same like with smoking. Longer you can claim plausible deniability, longer you can extract profit. Who cares if world goes to shit?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
04-04-2017, 03:18 PM
(04-04-2017 02:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  But why? These bastards ain't stupid and no doubt started minimizing their exposure to the fossil fuel market long ago. Is it just that they want to suck it out of principle. 'Cause I could at least understand that.

Perhaps it's a question of possible liabilities down the road. If fossil fuel industries oppose anthropogenic climate change research, they can claim plausible deniability.