Proportion of atheists in population + atheists as amoralists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2013, 05:09 PM
Proportion of atheists in population + atheists as amoralists
Something that has often occurred to me.

It is a common stereotype among the religious to see atheists as amoralists. But consider that most stereotypes have at least some distorted germ of truth about them.

Put it this way: If an atheist were an amoralist, how would that atheist behave to get the most personal advantage in a mostly religious culture? Pretend to be religious, for one thing. Right?

It may even be that most atheists are amoralists, but we call them religious people.

At the very least, such people are well represented among the clergy. Angel

Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Abdul Alhazred's post
08-09-2013, 05:55 PM
RE: Proportion of atheists in population + atheists as amoralists
I've got no I - fuckin' - dea

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
08-09-2013, 06:22 PM
Whooo! I do like what you're cooking up with this.

I have a preacher friend who was STUNNED when I told him his church is full of atheists who were simply afraid to come out. I never considered how many clergy are quite possibly bullshit artist atheists pretending to be religious for personal gain.
Find all posts by this user
08-09-2013, 06:45 PM
(08-09-2013 06:22 PM)Regular_Joe Wrote:  Whooo! I do like what you're cooking up with this.

I have a preacher friend who was STUNNED when I told him his church is full of atheists who were simply afraid to come out. I never considered how many clergy are quite possibly bullshit artist atheists pretending to be religious for personal gain.

I'm sure there are plenty that are in it for gain, especially the megachurches. My dad is a preacher, we grew up dirt poor. I'd bet more clergy are bullshit artists out of necessity rather than greed.

http://www.clergyproject.org/

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
09-09-2013, 01:18 AM
(08-09-2013 05:09 PM)Abdul Alhazred Wrote:  It is a common stereotype among the religious to see atheists as amoralists. But consider that most stereotypes have at least some distorted germ of truth about them.

Put it this way: If an atheist were an amoralist, how would that atheist behave to get the most personal advantage in a mostly religious culture? Pretend to be religious, for one thing. Right?
I'm an amoralist and I certainly don't pretend to be religious.

I think the theistic stance that most atheists are amoral is based on their belief that morality comes from god and thus atheists don't have morals because they don't follow god's law.

I presume when an atheist tells them that they are a moral atheist, then the theist just thinks the athiest is wrongly classifying his/her personal opinion as morality.
09-09-2013, 02:20 AM
(08-09-2013 06:45 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(08-09-2013 06:22 PM)Regular_Joe Wrote:  Whooo! I do like what you're cooking up with this.

I'm sure there are plenty that are in it for gain, especially the megachurches. My dad is a preacher, we grew up dirt poor. I'd bet more clergy are bullshit artists out of necessity rather than greed.

http://www.clergyproject.org/

They are all in it, to a large degree, for personal gain

Being a preacher is a job. It gets you status, presage, power and money. You get listened to. You get respect.

That doesn't mean they don't necessarily believe what they're pedalling...many of them do. Yet belief is a lot easier when you stand to gain personally from it.

I'm interested to hear about your dad. Does he firmly believe it all?
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
09-09-2013, 11:16 AM
(08-09-2013 05:09 PM)Abdul Alhazred Wrote:  Something that has often occurred to me.

It is a common stereotype among the religious to see atheists as amoralists. But consider that most stereotypes have at least some distorted germ of truth about them.

It may even be that most atheists are amoralists, but we call them religious people.

At the very least, such people are well represented among the clergy. Angel

Not one televangelist comes to mind.
Cuz all of 'em do.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
09-09-2013, 12:54 PM
(09-09-2013 02:20 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I'm interested to hear about your dad. Does he firmly believe it all?

As fat as I know, yes. I don't think he'd admit it if he didn't. Actually that's one conversation I'm kind of looking forward to whenever it comes time to be honest about my apostasy. There have been moments when I've wondered just how much sense it all makes to him after all these years.

My mother on the other hand.......Angel

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco