Proposal for a new social contract

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2011, 08:55 PM (This post was last modified: 25-08-2011 09:10 PM by Peterkin.)
RE: Proposal for a new social contract
(25-08-2011 08:12 PM)Zach Wrote:  I guess I have two main concerns.

I think it would require a lot of planning to ensure that the public sector is self-sustaining and functions independently of the private sector. I don't know how you'd go about planning that, and it's probably beyond the scope of this topic. It's just something that would have to be addressed if this idea were ever pursued.

Look at it this way: Everything in large-scale human endeavor requires planning. The pyramids, the moon shots, election campaigns, making a movie, waging a war, preparations for a disaster. We are very good at planning and have terrific tools. In order to patrol and regulate and safeguard the economy now, the government has to put a lot of people and equipment into planning and tracking. Take the ones who are currently tracking money (every form of financial transaction that the government needs to be aware of) and put them on tracking the practical needs of real people. That's actually a lot easier, because nobody's motivated to lie about how fast they go through a pair of socks.
Remember, too, once the system is in place, most planning would be done locally.
If you break the project down to component tasks, it's not so daunting.

Quote:The second concern is the public sector controlling things that many would prefer to remain private.

Like, private ownership of water and prisons? Cut down all the trees you want, drill holes in the ocean, blow up the underground rocks - never mind long-range consequences. Sure, some people get big profits out this very bad idea, but it's not doing society any favours. The greedy-guts won't like the transition, but the transition won't take place, anyway, until after their kind of economy implodes. The next generation of entrepreneurs will have different - maybe more limited, but also far less risky - opportunities.

Quote:Would this involve the government owning all land, food, and other resources that fulfill basic needs so that it can distribute them to everyone who needs it even if it doesn't require all these resources to meet everybody's needs?
I prefer to think "control" rather than "own". Yes, i think it would have to control all those things, for sustainability and environmental protection. (We're already in deep shit, because governments haven't been doing this!)
As i understand it, the government would make sure basic needs are met, and there is sufficient reserve for fluctuations. Only after that would it allow the private sector to use surplus resources, on some kind of trade for services arrangement.

Quote: Could someone in the private sector open a clothing store, start a restaurant, or build and sell fancy houses?

I imagine that's exactly what the private sector would be expected to do. Supply the non-essentials. Print and exchange money, set their own value and exchange rate on products and services that people don't need, but want enough to work extra for.
Probably, some people would be content with the basics and spend their leisure time playing, making art, studying or traveling, or just lolling. But a lot of people would want toys, fancies, delicacies, fashions, pricy entertainments, and so on. They could spend their leisure time working for the private sector to earn those extras. Same enterprises, but more choice for the average person.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Proposal for a new social contract - Zatamon - 24-08-2011, 10:44 AM
RE: Proposal for a new social contract - Zach - 24-08-2011, 01:55 PM
RE: Proposal for a new social contract - Zatamon - 24-08-2011, 02:39 PM
RE: Proposal for a new social contract - Zach - 24-08-2011, 08:17 PM
RE: Proposal for a new social contract - Zatamon - 25-08-2011, 12:06 AM
RE: Proposal for a new social contract - Zatamon - 24-08-2011, 05:45 PM
RE: Proposal for a new social contract - Zach - 25-08-2011, 08:12 PM
RE: Proposal for a new social contract - Peterkin - 25-08-2011 08:55 PM
RE: Proposal for a new social contract - Zach - 26-08-2011, 08:19 AM