Proposed addendum to the Forum Principles & Culture, Ethics and Behavior thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2017, 10:39 AM
RE: Proposed addendum to the Forum Principles & Culture, Ethics and Behavior thread
Don't like it. Gives the impression that incivility is frowned upon in this establishment.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-06-2017, 10:41 AM
RE: Proposed addendum to the Forum Principles & Culture, Ethics and Behavior thread
I stick to my opinion with this idea but I do agree that attacks do impede discussion on a monumental level...
[+] 1 user Likes Larai19's post
14-06-2017, 10:43 AM
Gotta admit, I do grow dismayed sometimes at the lack of civility and outright hostility displayed by some members of the community. That can make it difficult to have a rational conversation about things that matter.

All that said, a community like this attracts all kinds and it's probably not a good idea for one (or a few) to decide what's appropriate or not.

That's what Brietbart does: it bans people instantly if something even vaguely critical of Trump appears. (I got banned there in less than 3 minutes because I asked - and this is verbatim - "When will Trump release his taxes?"). I don't think following the Brietbart model is something that should be encouraged.

So, no, it's probably not a good idea. Best we can do is encourage thoughtful civility and ignore the others.

*edited for spelling*
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
14-06-2017, 01:16 PM
(14-06-2017 09:45 AM)epronovost Wrote:  I was reading through the gun owner and the LGBT subforum threads and it got me thinking. Should we make an addendum to the Forum Principles & Culture, Ethics and Behavior thread to add a paragraph on etiquette? While I am certain that no moderator want to police people uses of prophanities and insults, a task to amount at single handedly coutning all the stars in the night sky, I think it wouldn't hurt to make a ''declaration of goodwill'' toward civility in the forum ethics and behavior. It would be somthing like: ''We encourage you to participate in all the debates that interest you, but would stress the importance of remaining polite and civil a much as possible and avoid inflamatory or provocative comments whenever possible. Should you feel harassed or subject to threats, you can always contact by PM a moderator to investigate the matter''.

While those threads talk about very interesting topics open for debate, they are plagued by post after post of more or less funny snarks and downright insults. It makes participation to those threads extremely difficult and uninviting especially since they escalte to flame wars that can extend for pages with actual good post imbeded in all this crap. Do you think that it would be a good idea?

While I appreciate your idea and thought you put into this idea, my reply is no. Everyone is offended by something and when we are making rules, we need to deeply consider the long-term ramifications. Because such a change would encompass the whole forum, likely everyone would be found guilty of this.

I used to routinely tell religious wackadoos to "shoo fly".

I must had written that phrase on this forum 200 times.

That could be considered a personal attack. Am I going to repremimand myself? Nope.

The religious whackadoo is free to tell me to fuck off.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-06-2017, 01:22 PM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2017 01:28 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(14-06-2017 09:45 AM)epronovost Wrote:  While those threads talk about very interesting topics open for debate, they are plagued by post after post of more or less funny snarks and downright insults. It makes participation to those threads extremely difficult and uninviting especially since they escalte to flame wars that can extend for pages with actual good post imbeded in all this crap. Do you think that it would be a good idea?

Just place people who are abusive on ignore. There are plenty of other, non-abusive contributors to read.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
14-06-2017, 01:27 PM
Well it seems that my idea wasn't good after all. I do admit that it raises as much problem if not more than it attempt to solve in addition to openning doors that are much better left closed. You have won me over on this one. Thanks for the participation BTW.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 3 users Like epronovost's post
14-06-2017, 03:04 PM
(14-06-2017 01:16 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 09:45 AM)epronovost Wrote:  I was reading through the gun owner and the LGBT subforum threads and it got me thinking. Should we make an addendum to the Forum Principles & Culture, Ethics and Behavior thread to add a paragraph on etiquette? While I am certain that no moderator want to police people uses of prophanities and insults, a task to amount at single handedly coutning all the stars in the night sky, I think it wouldn't hurt to make a ''declaration of goodwill'' toward civility in the forum ethics and behavior. It would be somthing like: ''We encourage you to participate in all the debates that interest you, but would stress the importance of remaining polite and civil a much as possible and avoid inflamatory or provocative comments whenever possible. Should you feel harassed or subject to threats, you can always contact by PM a moderator to investigate the matter''.

While those threads talk about very interesting topics open for debate, they are plagued by post after post of more or less funny snarks and downright insults. It makes participation to those threads extremely difficult and uninviting especially since they escalte to flame wars that can extend for pages with actual good post imbeded in all this crap. Do you think that it would be a good idea?

While I appreciate your idea and thought you put into this idea, my reply is no. Everyone is offended by something and when we are making rules, we need to deeply consider the long-term ramifications. Because such a change would encompass the whole forum, likely everyone would be found guilty of this.

That could be considered a personal attack. Am I going to repremimand myself? Nope.

shoo fly.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-06-2017, 03:28 PM
(14-06-2017 03:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 01:16 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  While I appreciate your idea and thought you put into this idea, my reply is no. Everyone is offended by something and when we are making rules, we need to deeply consider the long-term ramifications. Because such a change would encompass the whole forum, likely everyone would be found guilty of this.

shoo fly.

[Image: wxxqr5F.png]
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post