Prosecuting Terrorism in the US...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2012, 04:27 PM
RE: Prosecuting Terrorism in the US...
(23-04-2012 04:15 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Sounds like arson to me. Why does it matter what they call it? This guy will get a long time in prison for arson, destruction of private property, and attempted murder.

Well yeah, it was an act of arson in the same way that bombing a building is still a bombing. But it might also be terrorism. It depends on the motives.

The point of the article was to point out the unfairness of how the charge for terrorism is applied. And for people acting out against Planned Parenthood and other abortion clinics, a very politically and religiously charged issue, how is it not considered terrorism or attempted terrorism? This guy was both politically and religiously motivated. So the question is, was his intention to intimidate people to keep them from visiting clinics that provide abortions or to intimidate doctors into not providing abortions? I don't believe the guy when he suggests it was as simple as removing the building so it isn't present and available to perform abortions in anymore. Anyone with half an ounce of grey matter knows that won't stop abortions but it might keep people from going there is they are scared of getting killed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2012, 04:32 PM
(23-04-2012 04:27 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(23-04-2012 04:15 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Sounds like arson to me. Why does it matter what they call it? This guy will get a long time in prison for arson, destruction of private property, and attempted murder.

Well yeah, it was an act of arson in the same way that bombing a building is still a bombing. But it might also be terrorism. It depends on the motives.

The point of the article was to point out the unfairness of how the charge for terrorism is applied. And for people acting out against Planned Parenthood and other abortion clinics, a very politically and religiously charged issue, how is it not considered terrorism or attempted terrorism? This guy was both politically and religiously motivated. So the question is, was his intention to intimidate people to keep them from visiting clinics that provide abortions or to intimidate doctors into not providing abortions? I don't believe the guy when he suggests it was as simple as removing the building so it isn't present and available to perform abortions in anymore. Anyone with half an ounce of grey matter knows that won't stop abortions but it might keep people from going there is they are scared of getting killed.
I agree with you but I also think that terrorism as defined by the United States post 9/11 is too broad a term. If all violence on political or religious grounds is terrorism then a man drowning his kids because he thinks they are poseesed by the devil is a terrorist. I think the word gets used too much to garner media ratings.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
23-04-2012, 04:36 PM
(23-04-2012 04:32 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(23-04-2012 04:27 PM)kineo Wrote:  Well yeah, it was an act of arson in the same way that bombing a building is still a bombing. But it might also be terrorism. It depends on the motives.

I agree with you but I also think that terrorism as defined by the United States post 9/11 is too broad a term. If all violence on political or religious grounds is terrorism then a man drowning his kids because he thinks they are poseesed by the devil is a terrorist. I think the word gets used too much to garner media ratings.

Yeah, I think you're right. The term and charge should probably used less frequently, not more frequently.