Proselytizing rabbi, really?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2016, 11:23 AM
Proselytizing rabbi, really?
I find the timing of this rather interesting. Inside of two weeks ago, we were discussing on here the whole Noah's Ark story and I was calling attention to the fact that people love to give Christians shit about this story, calling into question the validity of the event, etc. I took the odd stance of actually standing up for Christians, arguing that the Jews wrote the Old Testament so why not take them to task for this hokum as well.

I was then hit with a bunch of replies about how people of Jewish faith don't care about what we think, don't care what we believe, just live their lives their way and don't seek out converts, etc. I also was told the reason one person gives Christians shit over Noah's Ark and not Jews is because Jews don't come knocking on their doors bothering them on Saturday afternoons, they don't proselytize ever, as if that is a logical argument. But I digress.

Anyway, I never answer my home phone unless I recognize the number, so today when it rang and the number wasn't familiar, I let the machine answer. Usually, especially this time of year, it's some political party and they usually hang up or leave some partial recording. Imagine my surprise when the live person on the other line not only left a message but was a local rabbi. He blessed my household and everyone in it with some Hebrew prayer, then explained what that prayer was, how god was almighty, etc. He talked a little fast so I didn't pick up all of it, but he talked for a good 30 seconds at least, then a woman came on and said if I was interested in supporting their ministry or attending services, yada, yada, yada.

Can Aliza or anyone else explain this? Defend this? I thought Jews didn't proselytize?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2016, 11:28 AM
RE: Proselytizing rabbi, really?
(14-04-2016 11:23 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Can Aliza or anyone else explain this? Defend this? I thought Jews didn't proselytize?

True Jews don't Tongue

Is a bit random amigo. He's some kooky guy. If some atheist rang me up to ask for money to spread the will of no God, would I be justified in asking you - totally unconnected to the event - why?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
14-04-2016, 11:29 AM
He knew you were writing a will?

Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
14-04-2016, 11:45 AM
Well from what I hear church attendance is dropping. I assume the same may be for Temples. This could be a last ditch attempt to get people to show up and donate.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
14-04-2016, 11:46 AM
God's Will? Tongue
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
14-04-2016, 11:54 AM
(14-04-2016 11:28 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(14-04-2016 11:23 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Can Aliza or anyone else explain this? Defend this? I thought Jews didn't proselytize?

True Jews don't Tongue

Is a bit random amigo. He's some kooky guy. If some atheist rang me up to ask for money to spread the will of no God, would I be justified in asking you - totally unconnected to the event - why?

I just wish I got to the phone before it disconnected.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
14-04-2016, 11:56 AM
(14-04-2016 11:23 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  I find the timing of this rather interesting. Inside of two weeks ago, we were discussing on here the whole Noah's Ark story and I was calling attention to the fact that people love to give Christians shit about this story, calling into question the validity of the event, etc. I took the odd stance of actually standing up for Christians, arguing that the Jews wrote the Old Testament so why not take them to task for this hokum as well.

I was then hit with a bunch of replies about how people of Jewish faith don't care about what we think, don't care what we believe, just live their lives their way and don't seek out converts, etc. I also was told the reason one person gives Christians shit over Noah's Ark and not Jews is because Jews don't come knocking on their doors bothering them on Saturday afternoons, they don't proselytize ever, as if that is a logical argument. But I digress.

Anyway, I never answer my home phone unless I recognize the number, so today when it rang and the number wasn't familiar, I let the machine answer. Usually, especially this time of year, it's some political party and they usually hang up or leave some partial recording. Imagine my surprise when the live person on the other line not only left a message but was a local rabbi. He blessed my household and everyone in it with some Hebrew prayer, then explained what that prayer was, how god was almighty, etc. He talked a little fast so I didn't pick up all of it, but he talked for a good 30 seconds at least, then a woman came on and said if I was interested in supporting their ministry or attending services, yada, yada, yada.

Can Aliza or anyone else explain this? Defend this? I thought Jews didn't proselytize?

I would suspect a wrong number.

Once we had two "churches" robo call us when we lived in California.

One happened each Friday, from a Jewish synagogue, the other was the Mormons. I had called the Mormons repeatedly (this had been going on for a long time), and had asked them to take us off the call list. They politely refused ('we'll try' they'd say).

When the synagogue began calling I thought it was a joke...week after week always on Friday to wish us a good sabbath or whatever, including information about services.

I called them...told them we weren't Jewish and they profusely apologized for the intrusion. We were called obviously in error...

But here's the thing...they removed us from the call list at once. I actually kinda missed their calls...Laugh out load. It was a welcome weekend thing for me.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-04-2016, 11:58 AM
(14-04-2016 11:23 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  I find the timing of this rather interesting. Inside of two weeks ago, we were discussing on here the whole Noah's Ark story and I was calling attention to the fact that people love to give Christians shit about this story, calling into question the validity of the event, etc. I took the odd stance of actually standing up for Christians, arguing that the Jews wrote the Old Testament so why not take them to task for this hokum as well.

Well you know. The reason Jews don't proselytize is that they think they are the chosen people. That's not a moral position you can put to someone which will con vert them to being chosen as well. Judaism is Abrahamistic. It's like Islam. You are born one. You can't become one. Did the rabbi say. "Come join up and you can be a Jew"? No. It was April 1. Yes?

Have a blessed day by the way.
14-04-2016, 11:59 AM
(14-04-2016 11:56 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

I would suspect a wrong number.

Once we had two "churches" robo call us when we lived in California.

One happened each Friday, from a Jewish synagogue, the other was the Mormons. I had called the Mormons repeatedly (this had been going on for a long time), and had asked them to take us off the call list. They politely refused ('we'll try' they'd say).

When the synagogue began calling I thought it was a joke...week after week always on Friday to wish us a good sabbath or whatever, including information about services.

I called them...told them we weren't Jewish and they profusely apologized for dthe intrusion. We were called obviously in error...

But here's the thing...they removed us from the call list at once. I actually kinda missed their calls...Laugh out load. It was a welcome weekend thing for me.

This is what I think is most likely the case, but I don't like to be in the habit of giving people logical excuses before they explain themselves. Maybe it was a mistake, maybe not.

----
14-04-2016, 12:01 PM
(14-04-2016 11:58 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  

Well you know. The reason Jews don't proselytize is that they think they are the chosen people. That's not a moral position you can put to someone which will con vert them to being chosen as well. Judaism is Abrahamistic. It's like Islam. You are born one. You can't become one. Did the rabbi say. "Come join up?" No. It was April 1. Yes?

Have a blessed day by the way.

Um, today is April 14. You're the only fool here.

Why would anyone be allowed to convert to Judaism then? And does it come with a caveat? "Hey, you can be part of our rituals, but you'll never be a chosen one."

----