Prostitution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2010, 09:10 AM
Prostitution
I guess this the appropiate section for this thread. I want to know your standpoints. I am personally for legalizing and regulating prostitution. I mean if its regulated and between two consenting adults then it should be okay. On youtube atheist such as Zomgittscriss and xxxPeachxxx are in agreement with me and make really good points.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2010, 09:18 AM
RE: Prostitution
I agree. It's going to happen anyways, so it might as well be made safer for everybody involved.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
16-09-2010, 03:44 PM
Only problem I can think of is if it becomes legalized than suddenly its a profession... they make schools for professions.... see where I'm going with this?

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
16-09-2010, 03:46 PM

ITT tech school of harlotry and wanton
Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2010, 03:48 PM
(16-09-2010 03:46 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  ITT tech school of harlotry and wanton

rofl, I'm sure the homework is fun but I think I'll stick with my police training thanks Big Grin

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

16-09-2010, 06:15 PM

I'm going to be the voice of dissent here. Prostitution will always happen (just like drug use, teen pregnancy, etc.), but that doesn't mean that its effects will be positive.

I can't think of a scenario where prostitution isn't demeaning and objectifying. As a woman I can't imagine feeling good about myself after being paid for the use of my body. (Although there may be women out there who can.) I can't think of a way to make it safe enough to justify it. I guess I'm just old-fashioned at heart, but to each his or her own.
16-09-2010, 06:29 PM
(16-09-2010 06:15 PM)athnostic Wrote:  I'm going to be the voice of dissent here. Prostitution will always happen (just like drug use, teen pregnancy, etc.), but that doesn't mean that its effects will be positive.

I can't think of a scenario where prostitution isn't demeaning and objectifying. As a woman I can't imagine feeling good about myself after being paid for the use of my body. (Although there may be women out there who can.) I can't think of a way to make it safe enough to justify it. I guess I'm just old-fashioned at heart, but to each his or her own.

I sense you are a bit of feminist athnostic... correct me if I a wrong.
That holds no weight to my comment btw.

Yes, there are women who enjoy it, I dated one(she was a nympho) and there are at least 3 girls at my school who I know are "working the streets" as some might say.
I've talked to them, some of them don't have a choice, they need the money otherwise they and whatever family they have in the slums probably won't be eating very much. People do what they can, ya know?

As a side note there are some women who feel the exact opposite about your opinions on "objectification" I was talking to a friend of mine about this over the summer and her point was that women shouldn't wear revealing clothes because it makes them seem like they're less than other people, and another friend of mine who happens to be one of these girls who dresses like a tramp comes back saying "it gives me a sense of power knowing I can draw attention so easily".... she is essentially an attention whore but the word "power" in this case is not far from the truth.
Its absolutely tragic when she uses the cute face on me -_-"

16-09-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:I sense you are a bit of feminist athnostic... correct me if I a wrong.
That holds no weight to my comment btw.

You're not a feminist? You don't believe women should have equal rights in our society, since that's all feminism really means? LOL, Yes, I probably am. I wouldn't say I'm militant though. I like to think I get equally pissed off by all kinds of injustice.

Quote:Yes, there are women who enjoy it, I dated one(she was a nympho) and there are at least 3 girls at my school who I know are "working the streets" as some might say. ...

There are lots (and lots!) of women who enjoy sex, and perhaps a few who enjoy prostitution, but I would venture to say that most prostitutes are forced into the lifestyle by circumstances. That doesn't mean they would choose it if they had other opportunities. It definitely doesn't mean they feel good about it when they get home.

Quote: As a side note there are some women who feel the exact opposite about your opinions on "objectification" I was talking to a friend of mine about this over the summer and her point was that women shouldn't wear revealing clothes because it makes them seem like they're less than other people, and another friend of mine who happens to be one of these girls who dresses like a tramp comes back saying "it gives me a sense of power knowing I can draw attention so easily".... she is essentially an attention whore but the word "power" in this case is not far from the truth.

I think there are probably reasons she feels the need to get attention this way that deserve deeper thought. Women do have power, and trust me, we know it. Many women also have bad sexual histories, tough situations with dads growing up, and feelings of powerlessness that might make their choices to dress a particular way seem more appealing. The sad fact is that some women are more likely to be victimized than others. Wearing eye-catching clothes is fun (really really really fun), but when it's done for the wrong reasons it becomes just plain sad.

Damn, I sound old! I'm not saying that one thing is right and true for everyone, but I do have some experience with how it feels to be a girl. ;P
16-09-2010, 07:02 PM
lol yea I would expect you to know what being a girl is like xD
I was referring to militant feminists; those who want more than equal rights.
Reminds me of a discussion in class once wherein we were asked if firefighters should be made up of half men and half women to make it fair, I asked the women in favor of it if it just so happened those individual women applying for the job were terrible workers, should they still get the job instead of some of the men, some of which -might- be better firefighters.
Personally I think a male dominated society would be not only quite dull but lacking a lot of good ideas as well, sadly there are still places in the world like that.

And I get what you mean about being pressured into the prostitution thing, those girls I know in it are some of the most miserable faces I have ever seen.

16-09-2010, 09:04 PM
I find it interesting that a thread started for the purpose of discussing legalization of prostitution has very quickly changed to a discussion about FEMALE prostitutes.

Just sayin.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]