Prostitution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2010, 01:33 PM
RE: Prostitution
You make a good point. Making it illegal probably isn't either stopping it or making anyone any safer.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2010, 04:22 PM
(18-09-2010 01:33 PM)BnW Wrote:  You make a good point. Making it illegal probably isn't either stopping it or making anyone any safer.

I agree.
19-09-2010, 01:10 AM
Also, they say that prostitution is the oldest profession in the world. It´s not! The oldest profession is electrician. When God said "let there be light", surely somebody had already been pulling the cables!Idea

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
19-09-2010, 01:48 AM
:
(19-09-2010 01:10 AM)ThinkingNorseman Wrote:  Also, they say that prostitution is the oldest profession in the world. It´s not! The oldest profession is electrician. When God said "let there be light", surely somebody had already been pulling the cables!Idea

That is not true, magician is the oldest profession. Someone had to conjur up god before god could make light.Tongue
19-09-2010, 04:36 AM
(19-09-2010 01:48 AM)No J. Wrote:  That is not true, magician is the oldest profession. Someone had to conjur up god before god could make light.Tongue

But who conjured up the magician then? Huh

19-09-2010, 09:30 AM

Silly, the magician evolved from a monkey.
Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2010, 09:56 AM
(19-09-2010 09:30 AM)TruthAddict Wrote:  Silly, the magician evolved from a monkey.

Does this monkey have a registered pedigree?

20-09-2010, 04:35 AM

(17-09-2010 09:41 AM)BnW Wrote:  
Quote:Murder can hardly be argued to be a victimless crime. You seem to be going way out of your way to be argumentative. Fine. But your analogies are weak and not very convincing. In fact, I think prostitution is illegal mostly for the very reason that religious people believe that any sex outside of marriage should be illegal. It may not be the only reason, but I think it's the primary one. If you realize it's "apples and oranges", would you care to suggest other reasons, not based on religious morality?

Well, the whole point of debate is to make an argument so I'm not sure what to make of the argumentative comment.

Sorry ... I was sort of carried away with that comment. My apologies and I retract the statement.

(17-09-2010 09:41 AM)BnW Wrote:  As for my analogies, they may not persuade you but you are coming at this form the concept that prostitution does not have any victims. I don't know any prostitutes but I know something about the statistics of who becomes prostitutes. I'd be curious to know about their average lifespans, % living in poverty, % with drug problems, etc. I'd be willing to bet the results would show a trend. I could be wrong on this, but I doubt it.

So how does making prostitution illegal solve anything for the people (men and women, remember) who become prostitutes? What making it illegal does is drive the sex trade into the hands of professional criminals. Making it legal wouldn't address directly any of the root causes that drive people into prostitution, but neither does making it illegal.

(17-09-2010 09:41 AM)BnW Wrote:  So, my point here is that just because a law has its basis in religious dogma does not automatically mean its wrong. If you want to discuss, for example, the US prohibition on on-line gambling sites, then I'm with you. I think that is based largely on religious squeamishness and it makes no sense at all.

It was your interpretation of my comment that led you to imply that I said " ...just because a law has its basis in religious dogma automatically means its wrong... " I've never said that.

(17-09-2010 09:41 AM)BnW Wrote:  ...However, I also believe that sometimes in a society you need to stand up for those who are not in a position to stand up for themselves. I may be off base in my assumptions on who ends up working as prostitutes a majority of the time, but I would be very, very surprised. I realize that you will never fully stop it, and that criminalization pushes it further into the shadows, but I also think that if you de-criminalize it and regulate it you will still see a black-market trade in it, just like you see in Netherlands where prostitution is legal.
Fine. Stand up for the disadvantaged. That's a good thing, but making one of the few options poor people have to earn money into a crime doesn't do anything for them at all! Whether or not you're off-base in your speculation about the reasons people wind up as prostitutes is irrelevant. You seem continually to be suggesting that making prostitution a crime has helped the prostitutes. How? Did it address any of the reasons that impel people toward prostitution? I think not. Can you provide any positive impact for the criminalization of prostitution?

If prostitution is legalized, then it can be regulated to provide more safety for the prostitutes ... and their clients. Sure, prostitution outside the bounds of legality may still exist if prostitution is de-criminalized, but like moonshine, it likely would be a trivial part of the overall sex trade operation, whereas in the current situation, it's the bulk of the business, with all the sordid implications that suggests.
Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2010, 04:58 AM
I think if women want to prostitute themselves, that's fine. It's the whole pimping business I have a problem with.

Oh, and they need benefits, too. Getting stuffed on a daily basis greatly increases the risk of illness or injury on the job. Tongue
20-09-2010, 07:09 AM
(20-09-2010 04:58 AM)jkshrout Wrote:  I think if women want to prostitute themselves, that's fine. It's the whole pimping business I have a problem with.

Oh, and they need benefits, too. Getting stuffed on a daily basis greatly increases the risk of illness or injury on the job. Tongue

This is exactly why I insist on GOVERNMENT run brothels. The last thing you need in this business is somebody at the top who´s only interest is "maximizing profit"! If it is to be legalized we need to have the prostitutes best interest in mind. NOTHING else!