Prostitution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2010, 03:03 AM
RE: Prostitution
(20-09-2010 07:09 AM)ThinkingNorseman Wrote:  If it is to be legalized we need to have the prostitutes best interest in mind. NOTHING else!

I agree with the protecting the prostitutes best interest part.

The "nothing else" part is I don't agree with. It should, in my opinion, say and societies best interest, too. Reasons. Street prostitution feeds drug rings and risks the spread of diseases to name a couple. Legalizing prostitution would and should address these problems as well.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2010, 06:31 AM
(21-09-2010 03:03 AM)No J. Wrote:  I agree with the protecting the prostitutes best interest part.

The "nothing else" part is I don't agree with. It should, in my opinion, say and societies best interest, too. Reasons. Street prostitution feeds drug rings and risks the spread of diseases to name a couple. Legalizing prostitution would and should address these problems as well.

Point granted.
For the proposed brothel solution the street problem fixes itself. Also if this brothel was in Norway (granting it is ever made legal) it would be a business like any other, and would have to adhere to our strict laws concerning work environment. A business that jeopardizes its workers health would not be legal. How this would be dealt with practically, i have no idea, but they would simply have to deal with it.
I do not know what laws other countries have regarding this though.
Perhaps someone would educate me?

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
21-09-2010, 01:12 PM
(20-09-2010 07:09 AM)ThinkingNorseman Wrote:  
(20-09-2010 04:58 AM)jkshrout Wrote:  I think if women want to prostitute themselves, that's fine. It's the whole pimping business I have a problem with.

Oh, and they need benefits, too. Getting stuffed on a daily basis greatly increases the risk of illness or injury on the job. Tongue

This is exactly why I insist on GOVERNMENT run brothels. The last thing you need in this business is somebody at the top who´s only interest is "maximizing profit"! If it is to be legalized we need to have the prostitutes best interest in mind. NOTHING else!
I think brothels can be run by private companies is fine, as long as, like you said, the prostitutes' best interests are kept in mind. Treat it like any other job: no sexual harassment (kind of ironic, but still), no beating of employees, etc.
22-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Quote:Reasons. Street prostitution feeds drug rings and risks the spread of diseases to name a couple. Legalizing prostitution would and should address these problems as well.
The same thing with the legalization of some drugs. Even though the state would get more taxmoney and criminal activity (violence and stuff, in prostitution maybe selling humen to slaves) would decrease around the businesses, (at least some some of) the taxmoney has to be spent on preventing the harms and other stuff like that, for example: in prostitution the ''hos'' have to take regularly tests if they have STDs and the buyer also has to be sure to not infect the ''ho'', and in the drug business there has to be help avaiable for the seriously addicted people and close relatives of an seriously addicted have to have the right to require treatment for the addict, all within reasonableness/temperance/moderation or whatever the word is.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
07-10-2010, 01:27 PM

The main reason Prostitution is illegal is more likely to do with the fact that people generally associate promiscuity with STIs. I learnt in History a while ago that there was a call for female prostitutes to be forced into medical exams so they could be treated for any sexually transmitted diseases. They were pretty badly treated. I might be misremembering something here, but a few died or something.

Anyway, Let's also not forget traids in places like Holland where there are massivly non-concealed brothels. There was a report that the girls aged between fiveteen and thirty or so were heavily dosed and so, although they would appear to any 'customer' as a free-willed prostitute, they were forced into the sex industry, abused, etc.

I don't personally see the point in prostitution, mostly because girls a few years older than myself around where I live get pregnant all the time without getting any kind of pay for their generous services.

But I also see less of a point in illegalising the whole ordeal. Making ANY laws about concentual sex is stupid and based off the whole virginial religious ideal. These types of laws can put mostly innocent teens on registers just because their girlfriend (or boyfriend) was just a bit short of the 16 year mark.
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2010, 07:13 PM

I'm all for legalizing Prostitution. Sex between consenting adults, and the legal prohibition thereof when it's for money, costs more to prosecute and police, and would generate huge sums above and beyond that if legalized and licensed. Of course, Politicians may object to the competition....
And, it's a great way to put the pervert Brian Bates out of business.
09-11-2010, 08:49 AM

I am, and always have been, for the legalization of prostitution. Just because people want something legalized doesn't mean they will necessarily use it. It just means they aren't thinking with their heads buried in their ass. Look at every other country that has legalized it. The prostitutes are clean and they aren't getting ripped off.
09-12-2010, 03:51 PM

(16-09-2010 06:15 PM)athnostic Wrote:  I'm going to be the voice of dissent here. Prostitution will always happen (just like drug use, teen pregnancy, etc.), but that doesn't mean that its effects will be positive.

I can't think of a scenario where prostitution isn't demeaning and objectifying. As a woman I can't imagine feeling good about myself after being paid for the use of my body. (Although there may be women out there who can.) I can't think of a way to make it safe enough to justify it. I guess I'm just old-fashioned at heart, but to each his or her own.

what job isn't "demeaning and objectifying"?? we are all whores of one sort or another. i say live and let live, unless it harms someone else. i know some wounded vets that due to the extent of their wounds, most women won't even say hello to them, without a "paid date" they would have none.... its not right, but its reality.
09-12-2010, 04:02 PM

I'm all for legalizing and regulating Prostitution.

Our tax man has a client who's a very expensive call girl. As long as another service is provided and her client isn't paying for sex, it's all legal. So she pays taxes, has a business license, etc... (we didn't ask what her business service is that she provides)
In any case it would give the women that choose to go into the profession more rights and protections, than they are presently afforded while it's illegal. It's their body, they should be able to choose to do with it as they will.

Strippers (erotic dancers) are legal and they're objectifying themselves by choice. But there wouldn't be a market for them if they didn't want to become strippers and men didn't want to pay big money to admire the female form.
09-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Prostitution objectifies human sexuality in exactly the same sense that trash collecting objectifies human physicality and accountancy objectifies human intellect. All are jobs that many would never choose and others both choose and enjoy having chosen, while yet another group chooses but hates it. None of that is an argument for criminalizing trash collecting or accountancy, so how should it be an argument for criminalizing prostitution?