Protect her character

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2015, 11:26 AM
RE: Protect her character
I'll just add, I could be off base, and this could be totally sexist in a "women should be these specific traits, and if they have sex it devalues them!" kind of way. But that wasn't my first thought when seeing the poster. To me that feels like a, "looking for something to be offended about" take on the poster. But it completely depends on the intent of the creators, and that intent is something I don't know. And just because they are Christian doesn't immediately make them sexist.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
28-04-2015, 11:28 AM
(28-04-2015 11:19 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(28-04-2015 11:15 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Then I think they should remind the young men with a poster of their own. Maybe write "self-control" across their crotch on the poster lol Consider
I think the poster is in response to the trend of boys pressuring or forcing women into sexual situations, and heavily encouraging each other to engage in adolescent sex. If there was as much of a trend for girls (and maybe there is), I'd think another poster would be just as appropriate. Making an equivalent poster for girls wouldn't hurt any, but it wouldn't have as much meaning IMO (given then trend).

I hear what u r saying--but i just think it sends a bad message that sex is tied to your personality/self worth.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
28-04-2015, 11:35 AM
(28-04-2015 11:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-04-2015 11:19 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  I think the poster is in response to the trend of boys pressuring or forcing women into sexual situations, and heavily encouraging each other to engage in adolescent sex. If there was as much of a trend for girls (and maybe there is), I'd think another poster would be just as appropriate. Making an equivalent poster for girls wouldn't hurt any, but it wouldn't have as much meaning IMO (given then trend).

I'm pretty sure that poster is meant as a message for all the teens as would a male-figure poster.

It may well have been meant for all teens and could have been well meaning--but since the image in the poster is wearing a dress--it makes it appear that it is saying something specifically about a woman, her sexuality, and how that impacts how she is seen in society re: sex.
28-04-2015, 11:36 AM
(28-04-2015 11:35 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(28-04-2015 11:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  I'm pretty sure that poster is meant as a message for all the teens as would a male-figure poster.

It may well have been meant for all teens and could have been well meaning--but since the image in the poster is wearing a dress--it makes it appear that it is saying something specifically about a woman, her sexuality, and how that impacts how she is seen in society re: sex.

Yes, I agree that is the message, but it is meant to be accepted by both the girls and the boys.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-04-2015, 11:39 AM
(28-04-2015 11:12 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Well, I think kids having sex is usually a stupid mistake regardless if it is male or female. Difference is, the female is more likely the one to live with the consequences. Either way if it is mutual then neither is more to blame than the other.

Another thing is that young men are often "out to get laid". As in, that's their primary focus on a date or at the prom. I don't consider it bad to remind the young men that women aren't objects or targets, but people that deserve respect.

It doesn't matter whether or not it is stupid. Having sex isn't morally wrong for teenagers old enough to attend prom. It certainly isn't more wrong for a girl than a guy. A girl doesn't need a guy to protect her character like it's up to him to decide what choices she makes.

I like this prom poster better.
[Image: ks38g.jpg]via Imgflip Meme Maker

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
28-04-2015, 11:40 AM
(28-04-2015 11:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-04-2015 11:35 AM)jennybee Wrote:  It may well have been meant for all teens and could have been well meaning--but since the image in the poster is wearing a dress--it makes it appear that it is saying something specifically about a woman, her sexuality, and how that impacts how she is seen in society re: sex.

Yes, I agree that is the message, but it is meant to be accepted by both the girls and the boys.

Right and by doing that it reinforces the stereotype to boys that a woman's value is based on the number of sex partners she has.
28-04-2015, 11:46 AM
The poster seems to imply that she isn't capable of protecting her own character. That somehow it is the responsibility of others, specifically men, to make sure she is pure.
As if to say... "Just sit quietly and look pretty honey. Don't worry your pretty little head, we know what's best for you."
[+] 5 users Like pablo's post
28-04-2015, 12:25 PM
I totally get that some girls may not need protection. But you can't ignore that girls are often the victim of rape/roofies (sp?)/sexual pressure/one-track-mind guys. Things aren't equal in that sense as guys are much less likely to be a victim.

(28-04-2015 11:39 AM)Losty Wrote:  It doesn't matter whether or not it is stupid. Having sex isn't morally wrong for teenagers old enough to attend prom. It certainly isn't more wrong for a girl than a guy. A girl doesn't need a guy to protect her character like it's up to him to decide what choices she makes.

I never said it was morally wrong, nor do I think it is. But I do think that encouraging kids to wait and be responsible is good. I wouldn't mind a poster depicting the dangers of STDs, and the result of accidental pregnancy making it much harder for a youth to attend any post-HS education (for those who choose to not abort), and that youth being a likely candidate for welfare.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
28-04-2015, 12:54 PM
(28-04-2015 10:55 AM)Losty Wrote:  
(28-04-2015 08:57 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I think if a girl wants to "protect her character" - a ditzy poster has a lot less utility than a can of mace or a Smith and Wesson......

I don't see how whether or not she gets laid on prom night affects her character in the first place.

I'm guessing that's why he used the quotation marks...
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
28-04-2015, 12:55 PM
(28-04-2015 11:12 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Another thing is that young men are often "out to get laid". As in, that's their primary focus on a date or at the prom. I don't consider it bad to remind the young men that women aren't objects or targets, but people that deserve respect.

I agree wholeheartedly that it is not bad to remind young men that women are not objects and that they deserve respect. However, there are far better ways of doing that than asking men to "protect her character". That does not read to me women deserve respect.
[+] 3 users Like Iñigo's post