Protect her character

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2015, 12:57 PM
RE: Protect her character
I agree that most kids that age should wait a little longer. However the posters are sending the mess that girls worth is tied to their sexuality but not so guys. And the people that made these should have done it in a way that was equal to both not just girls. Sending the wrong mess agian to both guys and girls that girls aren't worth anything if they aren't pure! Gggrrr
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2015, 01:20 PM
(28-04-2015 12:25 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I totally get that some girls may not need protection. But you can't ignore that girls are often the victim of rape/roofies (sp?)/sexual pressure/one-track-mind guys. Things aren't equal in that sense as guys are much less likely to be a victim.

(28-04-2015 11:39 AM)Losty Wrote:  It doesn't matter whether or not it is stupid. Having sex isn't morally wrong for teenagers old enough to attend prom. It certainly isn't more wrong for a girl than a guy. A girl doesn't need a guy to protect her character like it's up to him to decide what choices she makes.

I never said it was morally wrong, nor do I think it is. But I do think that encouraging kids to wait and be responsible is good. I wouldn't mind a poster depicting the dangers of STDs, and the result of accidental pregnancy making it much harder for a youth to attend any post-HS education (for those who choose to not abort), and that youth being a likely candidate for welfare.

What are we encouraging them to wait for? Being 18? 21? Married? I agree on encouraging responsibility. I also think choosing not to abort when you're still in high school is pretty irresponsible...but that's just me.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
28-04-2015, 01:22 PM
(28-04-2015 12:57 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  I agree that most kids that age should wait a little longer. However the posters are sending the mess that girls worth is tied to their sexuality but not so guys. And the people that made these should have done it in a way that was equal to both not just girls. Sending the wrong mess agian to both guys and girls that girls aren't worth anything if they aren't pure! Gggrrr

We should encourage kids to wait until they're older sure, but they're not going to listen. So, even if it's equal, we should never teach kids that their self worth is linked to their sexual purity.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 6 users Like Losty's post
28-04-2015, 01:44 PM
(28-04-2015 01:22 PM)Losty Wrote:  
(28-04-2015 12:57 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  I agree that most kids that age should wait a little longer. However the posters are sending the mess that girls worth is tied to their sexuality but not so guys. And the people that made these should have done it in a way that was equal to both not just girls. Sending the wrong mess agian to both guys and girls that girls aren't worth anything if they aren't pure! Gggrrr

We should encourage kids to wait until they're older sure, but they're not going to listen. So, even if it's equal, we should never teach kids that their self worth is linked to their sexual purity.

Then we end up with guys that start threads complaining about their girlfriends past sexual experiences.
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
28-04-2015, 02:05 PM
(28-04-2015 12:55 PM)Iñigo Wrote:  
(28-04-2015 11:12 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Another thing is that young men are often "out to get laid". As in, that's their primary focus on a date or at the prom. I don't consider it bad to remind the young men that women aren't objects or targets, but people that deserve respect.

I agree wholeheartedly that it is not bad to remind young men that women are not objects and that they deserve respect. However, there are far better ways of doing that than asking men to "protect her character". That does not read to me women deserve respect.
There probably are better ways. But our interpretations of the poster are very different. What I see is, "Women are people, people are made up of various characteristic, including (a bunch of words that individuals may use to describe themselves), don't defile her character by reducing her to a piece of meat or a prize." But like I said, it completely depends on the intent of the creator of the poster, and that we don't know.

(28-04-2015 01:20 PM)Losty Wrote:  
(28-04-2015 12:25 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I never said it was morally wrong, nor do I think it is. But I do think that encouraging kids to wait and be responsible is good. I wouldn't mind a poster depicting the dangers of STDs, and the result of accidental pregnancy making it much harder for a youth to attend any post-HS education (for those who choose to not abort), and that youth being a likely candidate for welfare.

What are we encouraging them to wait for? Being 18? 21? Married? I agree on encouraging responsibility. I also think choosing not to abort when you're still in high school is pretty irresponsible...but that's just me.
IMO, encouraging them to wait until they are emotionally and financially capable of dealing with the potential consequences would be ideal. This is correlated with age, but not completely dependent on it. I agree on the abortion bit, but that's a separate convo, hah.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
28-04-2015, 02:15 PM
If we lived in a world where everyone waited until they were financially stable enough for the consequences of sex, it would be a world full of sexually repressed assholes. Seriously, kids are fucking expensive. Go ahead and get married after college kids but wait until you've been working 5 years at a stable job to lose your virginity. I'm sorry, but forget that. We have birth control, condoms, and the morning after pill all at affordable prices. If you have a teenager, your job is to protect them and teach them responsibility. Not tell them that having sex will diminish their character.

[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
28-04-2015, 02:36 PM
I agree for the most part. Which is why abortion and birth control exist and why I heavily support both. The willingness to use those options is part of being financially and emotionally prepared (and responsible).

[+] 3 users Like Adrianime's post
28-04-2015, 04:15 PM
(28-04-2015 11:26 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  I'll just add, I could be off base, and this could be totally sexist in a "women should be these specific traits, and if they have sex it devalues them!" kind of way. But that wasn't my first thought when seeing the poster. To me that feels like a, "looking for something to be offended about" take on the poster. But it completely depends on the intent of the creators, and that intent is something I don't know. And just because they are Christian doesn't immediately make them sexist.

Soooo I live in a much more conservative area than you. I am well acquainted with the intent of this poster. Have you heard of a Proverbs 31 woman?

Anyway, the poster is suggesting that a woman of character is supposed to be courageous, exuberant, brave, fearless but gentle, quiet, tidy, shy...

Seriously?

Be a brave little doormat, sweetheart. Just turn the other cheek until a strong man can stand up and defend your honor. It propagates the ideal that men are the leaders and that a woman's place is to "quietly influence" her husband - how about an equal partnership?

All the rage among Christian devotionals in the past ten years has been pushing the Proverbs 31 virtuous woman and the "Wild at Heart" man (that our society has feminized men and they should stand up and be the strong leaders of the house again).

This is more of the brainwashing bullshit I was taught at church and it's the bullshit propaganda being peddled by this poster - so am I offended by this poster? You're damn right, I am. I know what it's like to tiptoe on eggshells, and that's what you've got to do to be the woman on that poster. I just spent the last decade trying to be that "classy" woman, as if it requires all those traits to be "classy." How about I be true to myself?

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post
28-04-2015, 04:33 PM
(28-04-2015 04:15 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(28-04-2015 11:26 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  I'll just add, I could be off base, and this could be totally sexist in a "women should be these specific traits, and if they have sex it devalues them!" kind of way. But that wasn't my first thought when seeing the poster. To me that feels like a, "looking for something to be offended about" take on the poster. But it completely depends on the intent of the creators, and that intent is something I don't know. And just because they are Christian doesn't immediately make them sexist.

Soooo I live in a much more conservative area than you. I am well acquainted with the intent of this poster. Have you heard of a Proverbs 31 woman?

Anyway, the poster is suggesting that a woman of character is supposed to be courageous, exuberant, brave, fearless but gentle, quiet, tidy, shy...

Seriously?

Be a brave little doormat, sweetheart. Just turn the other cheek until a strong man can stand up and defend your honor. It propagates the ideal that men are the leaders and that a woman's place is to "quietly influence" her husband - how about an equal partnership?

All the rage among Christian devotionals in the past ten years has been pushing the Proverbs 31 virtuous woman and the "Wild at Heart" man (that our society has feminized men and they should stand up and be the strong leaders of the house again).

This is more of the brainwashing bullshit I was taught at church and it's the bullshit propaganda being peddled by this poster - so am I offended by this poster? You're damn right, I am. I know what it's like to tiptoe on eggshells, and that's what you've got to do to be the woman on that poster. I just spent the last decade trying to be that "classy" woman, as if it requires all those traits to be "classy." How about I be true to myself?

So agree! As a woman, being involved in the christian church like I was--I was taught to wait until marriage for sex or else you are letting god and your future husband down. Well, I didn't wait until marriage and I felt like shit about it because of the whole letting god and my future husband down bullshit. I get so angry every time I see people like Candace Cameron Bure talking about how she is subservient to her husband. It's not her fault--they propagate that shit in the church.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
28-04-2015, 04:57 PM
(28-04-2015 04:15 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Soooo I live in a much more conservative area than you. I am well acquainted with the intent of this poster. Have you heard of a Proverbs 31 woman?
I haven't
Quote:Anyway, the poster is suggesting that a woman of character is supposed to be courageous, exuberant, brave, fearless but gentle, quiet, tidy, shy...

Seriously?
I would have to take your word for it. Like I said, I don't know the intent of the creator. You saying, "I'm from the area and I can tell you the intent" still doesn't tell me the intent of the creator.

Quote:This is more of the brainwashing bullshit I was taught at church and it's the bullshit propaganda being peddled by this poster - so am I offended by this poster? You're damn right, I am. I know what it's like to tiptoe on eggshells, and that's what you've got to do to be the woman on that poster. I just spent the last decade trying to be that "classy" woman, as if it requires all those traits to be "classy." How about I be true to myself?
If your interpretation of the poster is in accord with the original intent then of course you are offended, and should be.