Protect her character

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2015, 06:52 PM
RE: Protect her character
Unfappable?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
28-04-2015, 06:57 PM
(28-04-2015 06:52 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Unfappable?

Laugh out load Yea, it can apply to personality or breasts. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
28-04-2015, 07:18 PM
(28-04-2015 06:57 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(28-04-2015 06:52 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Unfappable?

Laugh out load Yea, it can apply to personality or breasts. Thumbsup

What can't?

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-04-2015, 11:18 AM
(28-04-2015 04:57 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(28-04-2015 04:15 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Soooo I live in a much more conservative area than you. I am well acquainted with the intent of this poster. Have you heard of a Proverbs 31 woman?
I haven't
Quote:Anyway, the poster is suggesting that a woman of character is supposed to be courageous, exuberant, brave, fearless but gentle, quiet, tidy, shy...

Seriously?
I would have to take your word for it. Like I said, I don't know the intent of the creator. You saying, "I'm from the area and I can tell you the intent" still doesn't tell me the intent of the creator.

Quote:This is more of the brainwashing bullshit I was taught at church and it's the bullshit propaganda being peddled by this poster - so am I offended by this poster? You're damn right, I am. I know what it's like to tiptoe on eggshells, and that's what you've got to do to be the woman on that poster. I just spent the last decade trying to be that "classy" woman, as if it requires all those traits to be "classy." How about I be true to myself?
If your interpretation of the poster is in accord with the original intent then of course you are offended, and should be.

Irregardless of the intent, the poster is ambiguous enough to be interpreted in different ways and thus carries different messages. You interpret it one way, but clearly Nurse and Jenny and Deidre and Losty do not. Which means there will be young women who see this poster and will interpret it along the lines of "I should be shy, quite etc." along with "if I am sexually active, I loose my character". Irregardless of the intent, some young women will get these unhealthy messages. That is what I have a problem with (independent of any offensiveness).

The poster also insinuates a number of double standards (whether intentionally or not).
1) No poster for the boys: double standard
2) Protect her character by not having sex with her, but if you have sex with her your character is just fine: double standard
3) It also sends the message that sex is started by the boys (i.e they are the ones who want it). Well, boys are not the only ones who want to have, sex girls do also. This is absolutely normal and girls should not be made to feel that this is wrong: Double standard

Again, even if these were not the intended messages, these are some of the messages that are going to be received. I understand that it is possible to make mistakes and say things that are going to be received the wrong way. Hell, I've stepped on my dick (just a figure of speech) plenty of times, but I have apologized and rectified the situation. The principal should do the same.
[+] 4 users Like Iñigo's post
29-04-2015, 11:34 AM
(28-04-2015 07:18 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-04-2015 06:57 PM)pablo Wrote:  Laugh out load Yea, it can apply to personality or breasts. Thumbsup

What can't?

Lotion
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
29-04-2015, 12:19 PM
(28-04-2015 12:25 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I totally get that some girls may not need protection. But you can't ignore that girls are often the victim of rape/roofies (sp?)/sexual pressure/one-track-mind guys. Things aren't equal in that sense as guys are much less likely to be a victim.

I know this isn't the point you were trying to make, but imagine the message this send to highschoolers. Protect her character, by not raping or victimizing her? That is the wrong message. You can try not to interpret it that way but the point isn't to lay blame on the creator of the poster. The point is to avoid sending a message to teenagers that can be interpreted in a way that is emotionally damaging.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
29-04-2015, 12:20 PM
(29-04-2015 11:34 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(28-04-2015 07:18 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What can't?

Lotion

Lol that's the first thing I thought of when reading that too Laugh out load

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
29-04-2015, 12:42 PM
(28-04-2015 08:30 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Let me guess---no poster for the guys.

Yeah, just like those creepy chastity balls, where daughters pledge their virginity to their fathers. They never have balls where sons pledge their virginity to their mothers.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
29-04-2015, 12:45 PM
(29-04-2015 12:42 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(28-04-2015 08:30 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Let me guess---no poster for the guys.

Yeah, just like those creepy chastity balls, where daughters pledge their virginity to their fathers. They never have balls where sons pledge their virginity to their mothers.

yeah those are pretty creepy...
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
29-04-2015, 12:57 PM
I have seen some seriously disturbing father/daughter purity photos. Ugh
http://www.liberalamerica.org/2014/05/05...ly-creepy/