Protect her character

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2015, 06:37 PM
RE: Protect her character
(29-04-2015 06:00 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  A buttload of sex?????

Did you really say that?????

Yes sir! Shy Meant it, too! Wink

(29-04-2015 05:58 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Did you read that on a poster? lol

No. Tongue I'm sure it was a dream! In which the ladies compete with one another to see how many times they can can hook up with a guy like guys do over how many tails they can successfully chase down...
and maybe I was the only male left alive or something! Laugh out load
By coincidence, or by my evil design, I can't remember! Confused

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
29-04-2015, 06:40 PM
(29-04-2015 06:37 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(29-04-2015 06:00 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  A buttload of sex?????

Did you really say that?????

Yes sir! Shy Meant it, too! Wink

(29-04-2015 05:58 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Did you read that on a poster? lol

No. Tongue I'm sure it was a dream! In which the ladies compete with one another to see how many times they can can hook up with a guy like guys do over how many tails they can successfully chase down...
and maybe I was the only male left alive or something! Laugh out load
By coincidence, or by my evil design, I can't remember! Confused

Yea you were dreaming...lol j/k

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
29-04-2015, 06:41 PM
(29-04-2015 06:29 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(29-04-2015 05:47 PM)Losty Wrote:  I interpreted it as the actual definition of the word character, yes...
char·ac·ter
/ˈkerəktər/

noun
noun: character; plural noun: characters

the mental and moral qualities distinctive to an individual.

a person in a novel, play, or movie.

Precisely. And being a victim of rape neither decreases a person's mental or moral qualities, nor does it decrease the value of anyone in a novel they might be writing. I was interpreting it as the actual definition of the word. (The first one btw, as the second one makes no sense in this context)

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
29-04-2015, 07:02 PM
(29-04-2015 12:57 PM)Losty Wrote:  I have seen some seriously disturbing father/daughter purity photos. Ugh
http://www.liberalamerica.org/2014/05/05...ly-creepy/

Those were the ones I was thinking of. That one of the bald guy three from the top is creepy as hell.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
29-04-2015, 08:28 PM
(29-04-2015 06:41 PM)Losty Wrote:  
(29-04-2015 06:29 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  char·ac·ter
/ˈkerəktər/

noun
noun: character; plural noun: characters

the mental and moral qualities distinctive to an individual.

a person in a novel, play, or movie.

Precisely. And being a victim of rape neither decreases a person's mental or moral qualities, nor does it decrease the value of anyone in a novel they might be writing. I was interpreting it as the actual definition of the word. (The first one btw, as the second one makes no sense in this context)
No need to be snide. Our interpretation is different. I'm not going to continue to repeat myself though.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
29-04-2015, 08:34 PM
(29-04-2015 08:28 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(29-04-2015 06:41 PM)Losty Wrote:  Precisely. And being a victim of rape neither decreases a person's mental or moral qualities, nor does it decrease the value of anyone in a novel they might be writing. I was interpreting it as the actual definition of the word. (The first one btw, as the second one makes no sense in this context)
No need to be snide. Our interpretation is different. I'm not going to continue to repeat myself though.

I wasn't trying to be snide. Our interpretation is different, sure. My point is only that if it can be interpreted the way I see it, by anyone, then it is not an appropriate message to be sending to highschoolers. Regardless of whether or not that's how it was intended by the creator.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
30-04-2015, 12:17 AM
When I read a poster created by a conservative Christian organization that poses as a crisis pregnancy help line that tried to talk girls out of an abortion that says "protect her character", I think "don't let word get out that she might possibly have even thought about having (whisper) premarital sex, or people [we the judgmental assholes] might have to slut shame her by calling her a loose, filthy hoe cause she ain't classy. And then if she gets pregnant we will continue to bad mouth her and won't support her bastard child. But if she has an abortion we'll call her a baby murderer. Slut shoulda kept her legs crossed or not let herself get raped." Dodgy I mean, women oughta know their place is to be quiet and keep a neat and tidy house for their husband, right? Rolleyes

I grew up in that culture and I am more than well acquainted. And if you think I'm creating a straw man, then you really don't get out much or are completely blind to what happens outside your community. Use some critical thinking skills. It ain't that hard to figure out.

Just the fact that I had casual sex with the friend of a coworker, once, is giving me work drama. How 'bout who gives a damn what two consenting adults do behind closed doors after a night of drinking? Wow. Sex happens.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 5 users Like Nurse's post
30-04-2015, 12:39 AM
(28-04-2015 11:19 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(28-04-2015 11:15 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Then I think they should remind the young men with a poster of their own. Maybe write "self-control" across their crotch on the poster lol Consider
I think the poster is in response to the trend of boys pressuring or forcing women into sexual situations, and heavily encouraging each other to engage in adolescent sex. If there was as much of a trend for girls (and maybe there is), I'd think another poster would be just as appropriate. Making an equivalent poster for girls wouldn't hurt any, but it wouldn't have as much meaning IMO (given then trend).

In my experience, the idea that teen males are more sexualized is not really accurate.

Mind you, my adolescence was 30+ years ago.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
30-04-2015, 01:25 AM
(29-04-2015 11:34 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(28-04-2015 07:18 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What can't?

Lotion

It rubs the lotion on its personality.

Dodgy

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
30-04-2015, 09:03 AM
(29-04-2015 01:19 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(29-04-2015 11:18 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  Irregardless of the intent, the poster is ambiguous enough to be interpreted in different ways and thus carries different messages. You interpret it one way, but clearly Nurse and Jenny and Deidre and Losty do not. Which means there will be young women who see this poster and will interpret it along the lines of "I should be shy, quite etc." along with "if I am sexually active, I loose my character". Irregardless of the intent, some young women will get these unhealthy messages. That is what I have a problem with (independent of any offensiveness).
Again, even if these were not the intended messages, these are some of the messages that are going to be received. I understand that it is possible to make mistakes and say things that are going to be received the wrong way. Hell, I've stepped on my dick (just a figure of speech) plenty of times, but I have apologized and rectified the situation. The principal should do the same.
Quote:The poster also insinuates a number of double standards (whether intentionally or not).
1) No poster for the boys: double standard
2) Protect her character by not having sex with her, but if you have sex with her your character is just fine: double standard
3) It also sends the message that sex is started by the boys (i.e they are the ones who want it). Well, boys are not the only ones who want to have, sex girls do also. This is absolutely normal and girls should not be made to feel that this is wrong: Double standard
I would say that
1. Boys aren't as often the victim of sexual violence or harassment.

And they are not often viewed as loosing their purity when they are sexually active which is the message being sent by this poster

2. The poster doesn't say that, you are inferring/assuming that.

That is correct. An insinuation does not objectively state something.

3. I guess I agree (that the poster is pointing it's fingers at boys). But I think that's where the finger needs to be pointed. And yes, I know how horny highschool girls can be. But I know how sex-obsessed highschool boys can be. Not just wanting to have sex, but driven by the desire to have sex.

Regarding the ambiguity, I don't know. I'm honestly tired of posters/ads/commercials/products being pulled and ripped apart because somebody was offended and thought it was racist/sexist/whateverist. I'm leaning more towards the intent of the artist being more important than the hurt feelings of those who misinterpret. (Still noting, that I could totally be the one misinterpreting).

Show me anywhere on this thread, where someone says their feelings are hurt.

The update is that following the letter from the FFRF, the school has taken down the poster.
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post