Protesters take to the streets

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2016, 10:58 AM
RE: Protesters take to the streets
(11-11-2016 09:44 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(11-11-2016 09:36 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Sorry, I just didn't credit you with knowing what one was.
You legitimately thought that a foreigner who has spent over a decade actively trying to hone his English skills to native-speaking levels and engaged in philosophical debates on this very forum for years wasn't familiar with the concept of oxymora? Dodgy

That means nothing. Most Americans don't understand what irony is. They think that it's being sarcastic or poking fun at yourself (or a traffic jam when you're already late).

I would suggest that a successful oxymoron works in the same way the humour does. It relates two disparate concepts in a novel way that take the listener by surprise but actually makes sense. So for example 'burning ice' is a classic because you would never think of ice and fire having the same effect, but yes you could think of the extreme sensation of ice as being akin to that of the sensation of burning.

Military intelligence doesn't work as an oxymoron because the military are always talking about intelligence. The joke only works there to point out that it technically it can be considered an oxymoron if you accept that the military is stupid, which people might not have considered before.

In the same way liberal fascists doesn't work as an oxymoron because so many people use the word fascist wrongly in the same context as talking about liberalism, whereas fascism actually has a very specific meaning and doesn't just mean the opposite of a liberal.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2016, 10:58 AM
(11-11-2016 10:55 AM)Alla Wrote:  Dems need to grapple with the fact that they lost this election because voters who supported Obama in 2012 voted Trump
You just love to stir the pot don't you, guess what jokes on you because people here both Democrats and Republicans know you are a troll and a poe.
11-11-2016, 11:01 AM
(11-11-2016 10:07 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I agree violence whether by democrats or republicans is totally unacceptable.

Unless it's against Justin Bieber and then I am sure that we can all agree to make an exception.
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
11-11-2016, 11:02 AM
Sanders betrayed his supporters when he backed crooked Hillary.
Yes, Bernie and his "revolution". Pathetic.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
11-11-2016, 11:04 AM
(11-11-2016 10:58 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(11-11-2016 10:55 AM)Alla Wrote:  Dems need to grapple with the fact that they lost this election because voters who supported Obama in 2012 voted Trump
You just love to stir the pot don't you, guess what jokes on you because people here both Democrats and Republicans know you are a troll and a poe.

What I said is the truth.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
11-11-2016, 11:13 AM
Ordo ab chao Drinking Beverage

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
11-11-2016, 11:18 AM
(11-11-2016 09:49 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(11-11-2016 09:25 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Hypothetical? He's backed by the leader of the KKK and the gun-toting dipshits who took over that birding station in Oregon and had a weeks long siege with the FBI.
And Hillary is backed by the KKK Grand Dragon Wizard Will Quigg. You don't get to choose who endorses you.

You should have looked a little more closely at that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-11-2016, 11:21 AM
(11-11-2016 11:01 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(11-11-2016 10:07 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I agree violence whether by democrats or republicans is totally unacceptable.

Unless it's against Justin Bieber and then I am sure that we can all agree to make an exception.

I am glad that despite all our political differences, we can all come together and hate one person Tongue

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
11-11-2016, 11:22 AM
(11-11-2016 11:01 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  

My son is the absolute image of Beiber so much so he gets stopped in the street I was once asked if I was his bodyguard, so no I couldn't go for that. Smile
11-11-2016, 11:25 AM
(11-11-2016 11:04 AM)Alla Wrote:  
(11-11-2016 10:58 AM)adey67 Wrote:  You just love to stir the pot don't you, guess what jokes on you because people here both Democrats and Republicans know you are a troll and a poe.

What I said is the truth.
Sure you did but its the reason behind your truth telling is what I'm concerned with and talking about.