Protesters take to the streets

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2016, 03:59 PM
RE: Protesters take to the streets
(14-11-2016 01:37 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Perfectly said, Mathilda.

I just got into an argument (online) with someone who said while she dislikes trump, she is very happy about Pence. I will copy and paste what she said:

"I, for one, and pretty excited about Pence for VP. He has historically been a big supporter of the homeschool community, which has been under attack by many liberal politicians for years and years. The media doesn't report on that though, so most people never even know. So far, its usually kept at the state level (which is where I want it, and where it should be, as Education SHOULD be a state issue and not a federal issue), but Kaine has pushed hard to take away the rights of parents in the state of VA (not just on homeschooling), plus, he's just slimy, so frankly, i'm incredibly relieved to see him out.

Maybe Trump will be a total bust, but maybe, just maybe, he wont be. He may not be who I wanted, but I'm at least willing to give him a chance to prove himself in this roll. And in the mean time, I will continue to fight for my values- for religious freedom, parental rights, equal rights for all, health freedom, states rights, fiscal responsibility, etc- REGARDLESS of who is in office."

My argument back was:

"I think what you really mean is:

Religious freedom (for christians only - especially evangelicals)
Equal rights for all (unless you are black/minority, or gay, or a woman, or an immigrant)
Health freedom (unless you want an abortion, then fuck you, go to Canada)"

no reply yet.

Home schooling should be abolished. It keeps people ignorant and the ignorant often vote republicans. It's a perfect combination for the republicans so they keep it going.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
14-11-2016, 04:04 PM
(14-11-2016 03:59 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  

I just got into an argument (online) with someone who said while she dislikes trump, she is very happy about Pence. I will copy and paste what she said:

"I, for one, and pretty excited about Pence for VP. He has historically been a big supporter of the homeschool community, which has been under attack by many liberal politicians for years and years. The media doesn't report on that though, so most people never even know. So far, its usually kept at the state level (which is where I want it, and where it should be, as Education SHOULD be a state issue and not a federal issue), but Kaine has pushed hard to take away the rights of parents in the state of VA (not just on homeschooling), plus, he's just slimy, so frankly, i'm incredibly relieved to see him out.

Maybe Trump will be a total bust, but maybe, just maybe, he wont be. He may not be who I wanted, but I'm at least willing to give him a chance to prove himself in this roll. And in the mean time, I will continue to fight for my values- for religious freedom, parental rights, equal rights for all, health freedom, states rights, fiscal responsibility, etc- REGARDLESS of who is in office."

My argument back was:

Equal rights for all (unless you are black/minority, or gay, or a woman, or an immigrant)

no reply yet.

Home schooling should be abolished. It keeps people ignorant and the ignorant often vote republicans. It's a perfect combination for the republicans so they keep it going.

On the other hand, if the fundies were somehow able to change things to the point where schools are required to teach the Bible in science classes, and forbidden to teach evolution (and I wouldn't put it past our new administration to at least attempt that), I would certainly want to homeschool my kids (if I had any).
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
14-11-2016, 04:52 PM
(14-11-2016 03:16 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 03:02 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  You may not like a judge appointed by Trump, but any judge confirmed will not affirm that roasting minorities over an open flame to get answers about illegal Mexicans is constitutional. Anyone who is buying into the deathcamp scare-hype has allowed themselves to be robbed of reason by a media who cares more about getting people tuned in than it does about revealing the truth.

They could very well affirm, though, that abortion is illegal, that same-sex marriage is illegal, and/or that atheism is illegal. I guarantee that VP-elect Pence would heartily endorse all three of those, and if he has any say about it, so will any prospective SCOTUS appointees. I don't know about you, but I want no part of a Christian theocracy.

I'm not especially worried about death camps. But there are plenty of other things to worry about with the coming administration.

I'm not saying the pick will be favorable to socially liberal positions, but outlawing non-religion, or undoing gay marriage is nothing Trump has ever advocated for, nor do I believe he would support. Trump isn't the boogeyman hiding under the bed. As far as I've heard Trump has always supported gay rights, for example. If he did, for example, advocate for that stuff he would be ousted and ostracized for the remainder of his life. The Supreme Court wouldn't overturn gay marriage, even with 4 Trump Justices if that was his goal. Religious freedom is pretty well enshrined in our constitution, and would be virtually impossible to change legislatively, and would require support from Dems too. The abortion concern has some legitimacy to it, but I think even that is BS. I don't think he could get support for getting rid of abortion rights, though I don't think he wants that either. At most he may have Planned Parenthood defunded, but Obama has taken steps to prevent that as well.

14-11-2016, 04:54 PM
(14-11-2016 04:52 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 03:16 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  They could very well affirm, though, that abortion is illegal, that same-sex marriage is illegal, and/or that atheism is illegal. I guarantee that VP-elect Pence would heartily endorse all three of those, and if he has any say about it, so will any prospective SCOTUS appointees. I don't know about you, but I want no part of a Christian theocracy.

I'm not especially worried about death camps. But there are plenty of other things to worry about with the coming administration.

I'm not saying the pick will be favorable to socially liberal positions, but outlawing non-religion, or undoing gay marriage is nothing Trump has ever advocated for, nor do I believe he would support. Trump isn't the boogeyman hiding under the bed. As far as I've heard Trump has always supported gay rights, for example. If he did, for example, advocate for that stuff he would be ousted and ostracized for the remainder of his life. The Supreme Court wouldn't overturn gay marriage, even with 4 Trump Justices if that was his goal. Religious freedom is pretty well enshrined in our constitution, and would be virtually impossible to change legislatively, and would require support from Dems too. The abortion concern has some legitimacy to it, but I think even that is BS. I don't think he could get support for getting rid of abortion rights, though I don't think he wants that either. At most he may have Planned Parenthood defunded, but Obama has taken steps to prevent that as well.

I sincerely hope that I'm wrong and you're right, and that this will be no worse than previous Republican administrations. That would be bad enough, but I think it has the potential to be much worse -- especially if something happens to Trump. "President Pence" is scarier than any horror movie.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
14-11-2016, 04:58 PM
(14-11-2016 03:59 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  

My argument back was:

no reply yet.

Sounds like you are supporting the creation of policies to target political rivals. Worse yet, sounds like you want an Orwellian-style re-education until everyone holds the correct ideas. As long as standardized tests are being passed, as is required for homeschool students, the government has determined that they are meeting the requirements needed. I haven't vetted the information myself, but from what I've heard homeschooled students are actually better educated on average than a student of a public school. They are almost certainly better cared for and have more opportunity to ask questions, so that wouldn't suprise me one bit, but ultimately that is unimportant.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
14-11-2016, 05:03 PM
From what I have seen, there are primarily two groups of home schoolers - those who practice religious indoctrination, and those who try to provide a better education. Same as public schools.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
14-11-2016, 09:24 PM
(14-11-2016 05:03 PM)Dom Wrote:  From what I have seen, there are primarily two groups of home schoolers - those who practice religious indoctrination, and those who try to provide a better education. Same as public schools.

Very long story cut waaaay short....

I looked into it for my kid. There wasn't a lot of secular resources at the time especially for science.

But some of the math, history and English stuff was really good.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-11-2016, 09:37 PM
(14-11-2016 04:58 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 03:59 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Home schooling should be abolished. It keeps people ignorant and the ignorant often vote republicans. It's a perfect combination for the republicans so they keep it going.

Sounds like you are supporting the creation of policies to target political rivals. Worse yet, sounds like you want an Orwellian-style re-education until everyone holds the correct ideas. As long as standardized tests are being passed, as is required for homeschool students, the government has determined that they are meeting the requirements needed. I haven't vetted the information myself, but from what I've heard homeschooled students are actually better educated on average than a student of a public school. They are almost certainly better cared for and have more opportunity to ask questions, so that wouldn't suprise me one bit, but ultimately that is unimportant.

My man's cousins went the homeschool route and while her kids were very well educated, they also were very...lacking any sort street smarts. They were timid in social situations. Especially their oldest. School teaches things not found in books, like how to get along with the bitch in third period who totally hates you. Social interactions with the same peers outside of sports is incredibly important -- nothing wrong except it's organized play. Especially if the child is more going than mom and dad.

Some kids who are homeschooled grow up to be real head cases. Like those cousins. Facepalm

I strongly disagree with people use home schooling as a way to control their children and to isolate them from the world.
[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-11-2016, 03:37 AM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2016 03:43 AM by Vosur.)
[Image: RoZxfg.jpg]

Source: http://www.kgw.com/news/local/more-than-.../351964445

So much for that.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
15-11-2016, 03:50 AM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2016 04:06 AM by Mathilda.)
(14-11-2016 03:02 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Anyone who is buying into the deathcamp scare-hype has allowed themselves to be robbed of reason by a media who cares more about getting people tuned in than it does about revealing the truth.

As far as I can tell the only person bringing up death camps is you. I just googled "death camps" and Trump and nothing relevant came up. If you can link to any 'deathcamp scare-hype' in the media then please do so.

You are making a strawman argument.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post