Protesters take to the streets

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2016, 03:59 AM
RE: Protesters take to the streets
(14-11-2016 04:52 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I'm not saying the pick will be favorable to socially liberal positions, but outlawing non-religion, or undoing gay marriage is nothing Trump has ever advocated for, nor do I believe he would support. Trump isn't the boogeyman hiding under the bed. As far as I've heard Trump has always supported gay rights, for example. If he did, for example, advocate for that stuff he would be ousted and ostracized for the remainder of his life.

But neither does Trump particularly care for gay marriage or abortion rights. But most republicans want to get rid of them. So they become negotiating tools that Trump can trade in for something that he does want.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
15-11-2016, 06:58 AM
(15-11-2016 03:59 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 04:52 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I'm not saying the pick will be favorable to socially liberal positions, but outlawing non-religion, or undoing gay marriage is nothing Trump has ever advocated for, nor do I believe he would support. Trump isn't the boogeyman hiding under the bed. As far as I've heard Trump has always supported gay rights, for example. If he did, for example, advocate for that stuff he would be ousted and ostracized for the remainder of his life.

But neither does Trump particularly care for gay marriage or abortion rights. But most republicans want to get rid of them. So they become negotiating tools that Trump can trade in for something that he does want.

I don't think he cares about any issue either way. Issues are bargaining tools to broker his glory is all.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
15-11-2016, 07:16 AM
(14-11-2016 03:02 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 11:24 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  You forgot to mention a Supreme Court packed with right-wing extremists for the next 20-30 years. That goes way beyond any of this "4-8 years" stuff.

You may not like a judge appointed by Trump, but any judge confirmed will not affirm that roasting minorities over an open flame to get answers about illegal Mexicans is constitutional. Anyone who is buying into the deathcamp scare-hype has allowed themselves to be robbed of reason by a media who cares more about getting people tuned in than it does about revealing the truth.

I wouldn't be so sure. These are people who would strike down Roe v. Wade, uphold Citizens United, and so on.

What's next? Strike down Obergefell v. Hodges? Brown v. Board of Education? Loving v. Virginia?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
15-11-2016, 08:25 AM
(15-11-2016 07:16 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 03:02 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  You may not like a judge appointed by Trump, but any judge confirmed will not affirm that roasting minorities over an open flame to get answers about illegal Mexicans is constitutional. Anyone who is buying into the deathcamp scare-hype has allowed themselves to be robbed of reason by a media who cares more about getting people tuned in than it does about revealing the truth.

I wouldn't be so sure. These are people who would strike down Roe v. Wade, uphold Citizens United, and so on.

What's next? Strike down Obergefell v. Hodges? Brown v. Board of Education? Loving v. Virginia?

Torcaso v. Watkins. Hobo

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-11-2016, 08:37 AM
(14-11-2016 09:37 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 04:58 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Sounds like you are supporting the creation of policies to target political rivals. Worse yet, sounds like you want an Orwellian-style re-education until everyone holds the correct ideas. As long as standardized tests are being passed, as is required for homeschool students, the government has determined that they are meeting the requirements needed. I haven't vetted the information myself, but from what I've heard homeschooled students are actually better educated on average than a student of a public school. They are almost certainly better cared for and have more opportunity to ask questions, so that wouldn't suprise me one bit, but ultimately that is unimportant.

My man's cousins went the homeschool route and while her kids were very well educated, they also were very...lacking any sort street smarts. They were timid in social situations. Especially their oldest. School teaches things not found in books, like how to get along with the bitch in third period who totally hates you. Social interactions with the same peers outside of sports is incredibly important -- nothing wrong except it's organized play. Especially if the child is more going than mom and dad.

Some kids who are homeschooled grow up to be real head cases. Like those cousins. Facepalm

I strongly disagree with people use home schooling as a way to control their children and to isolate them from the world.

That's why I'd argue it is also part of these parent's duties to ensure the their children get social interaction with other kids as well.

15-11-2016, 08:41 AM
(15-11-2016 06:58 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 03:59 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  But neither does Trump particularly care for gay marriage or abortion rights. But most republicans want to get rid of them. So they become negotiating tools that Trump can trade in for something that he does want.

I don't think he cares about any issue either way. Issues are bargaining tools to broker his glory is all.

He does care if he is perceived as a failure though, mortally so. His perception is everything. He doesn't want Trump to go down in history as a loser president. That's good for us in this sense.

“I do not believe that the solution to our problem is simply to elect the right people. The important thing is to establish a political climate of opinion which will make it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing. Unless it is politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing, the right people will not do the right thing either, or if they try, they will shortly be out of office.”
― Milton Friedman

15-11-2016, 08:44 AM
(15-11-2016 08:41 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 06:58 AM)Dom Wrote:  I don't think he cares about any issue either way. Issues are bargaining tools to broker his glory is all.

He does care if he is perceived as a failure though, mortally so. His perception is everything. He doesn't want Trump to go down in history as a loser president. That's good for us in this sense.

“I do not believe that the solution to our problem is simply to elect the right people. The important thing is to establish a political climate of opinion which will make it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing. Unless it is politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing, the right people will not do the right thing either, or if they try, they will shortly be out of office.”
― Milton Friedman

Good quote but with an all republican house and congress that is not going to happen. No stops there on many crucial issues.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
15-11-2016, 08:59 AM
(15-11-2016 08:25 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 07:16 AM)Chas Wrote:  I wouldn't be so sure. These are people who would strike down Roe v. Wade, uphold Citizens United, and so on.

Torcaso v. Watkins. Hobo

Yes, this is the kind of thing that scares the shit out of me. It sounds implausible to those who have become complacent, but the Supreme Court does have the power to interpret the Constitution in such a way as to make atheists second class citizens, if not outright criminals. It has been tried before, and if Mr. Pence has anything to say about it, it will be tried again. And he is not the only Republican who thinks that way. This is a real danger, especially since the Republicans will probably have the opportunity to pack the Court in their favor.
15-11-2016, 09:00 AM
My TTA stock is plummeting because I hold the apparent controversial position that Trump isn't going to kill or intern them in death camps, nor is a Trump presidency going to crumble the bedrock of American liberalism. It makes no difference that I actively dislike Trump, openly criticize him, his cabinet picks, his policies, and so on. You people must really hate Warren Buffet. He is urging people to take a deep breath and end the violence. He even offered to assist Trump if the request was made. The monster!

15-11-2016, 09:09 AM
Fascism 101. Party members get the best jobs.

Substitute religion for party in this case.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post