Protesters take to the streets

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2016, 09:12 AM
RE: Protesters take to the streets
(15-11-2016 09:00 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  My TTA stock is plummeting because I hold the apparent controversial position that Trump isn't going to kill or intern them in death camps, nor is a Trump presidency going to crumble the bedrock of American liberalism. It makes no difference that I actively dislike Trump, openly criticize him, his cabinet picks, his policies, and so on. You people must really hate Warren Buffet. He is urging people to take a deep breath and end the violence. He even offered to assist Trump if the request was made. The monster!

For me, it's not about his policies even. It's about the lack thereof and his mental instability, combined with an all republican political machine. Either he will be allowed to blunder along, or our hard earned freedoms will be null and void as things are being rammed through the system. There is no win there. Not for 10 to 30 years to come due to the justices. The pick of one of which was stolen from the current president.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
15-11-2016, 09:16 AM
(15-11-2016 09:00 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  My TTA stock is plummeting because I hold the apparent controversial position that Trump isn't going to kill or intern them in death camps, nor is a Trump presidency going to crumble the bedrock of American liberalism. It makes no difference that I actively dislike Trump, openly criticize him, his cabinet picks, his policies, and so on. You people must really hate Warren Buffet. He is urging people to take a deep breath and end the violence. He even offered to assist Trump if the request was made. The monster!

For what it's worth, my opinion of you hasn't changed (and it wasn't bad before). We just have a disagreement.

I also have nothing against Warren Buffet, and if he's talking about the riots that have occurred since the election, I fully agree with him. I have not been involved in any violence, and I don't condone it. Riots and destruction of property prove nothing except that the people doing it are assholes. And such violence never has any positive effects.

But I do really hate Trump, and Pence, and Republicans in general, and I think it is a very very bad thing that they now have full control of our country. If you don't agree with that, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I will have no hard feelings about it.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
15-11-2016, 09:42 AM
(15-11-2016 09:12 AM)Dom Wrote:  

For me, it's not about his policies even. It's about the lack thereof and his mental instability, combined with an all republican political machine. Either he will be allowed to blunder along, or our hard earned freedoms will be null and void as things are being rammed through the system. There is no win there. Not for 10 to 30 years to come due to the justices. The pick of one of which was stolen from the current president.

The thing is, we probably agree on most things, I'm just not a gloom and doom. I think the Trump presidency is actually somewhat scary, but I have confidence that nothing too disastrous will come to pass. This isn't the end, nor the beginning of the end, it's a bump in the road. America has been here before, but we are course-correcting.

15-11-2016, 09:47 AM
(15-11-2016 09:42 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 09:12 AM)Dom Wrote:  For me, it's not about his policies even. It's about the lack thereof and his mental instability, combined with an all republican political machine. Either he will be allowed to blunder along, or our hard earned freedoms will be null and void as things are being rammed through the system. There is no win there. Not for 10 to 30 years to come due to the justices. The pick of one of which was stolen from the current president.

The thing is, we probably agree on most things, I'm just not a gloom and doom. I think the Trump presidency is actually somewhat scary, but I have confidence that nothing too disastrous will come to pass. This isn't the end, nor the beginning of the end, it's a bump in the road. America has been here before, but we are course-correcting.

It all depends on where you sit. I have spent much of my youth working for equal rights for gays and women, for legalization of pot and against war. It took decades for some of these to come to fruition. Most likely that will all be lost now, and I won't live long enough to see it turn around again. My goose is cooked, I'm done.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
15-11-2016, 09:53 AM
I will be demonstrating in the streets on Jan 20th, trumps inauguration. And I don't care if I'm the only one there.

Just sayin.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
15-11-2016, 10:03 AM
(15-11-2016 09:53 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I will be demonstrating in the streets on Jan 20th, trumps inauguration. And I don't care if I'm the only one there.

Just sayin.

Just be careful and stay safe.
15-11-2016, 10:06 AM
(15-11-2016 03:50 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 03:02 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Anyone who is buying into the deathcamp scare-hype has allowed themselves to be robbed of reason by a media who cares more about getting people tuned in than it does about revealing the truth.

As far as I can tell the only person bringing up death camps is you. I just googled "death camps" and Trump and nothing relevant came up. If you can link to any 'deathcamp scare-hype' in the media then please do so.

You are making a strawman argument.

Well, here is the quotes in context...

(13-11-2016 07:17 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(13-11-2016 05:50 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  There are no death camps, big brother isn't coming to make you or anyone disappear, Trump isn't Hitler.

Of course there are no death camps. He's not even president yet.

The thing is, neither you nor anyone else actually knows what is coming. That's the problem. We don't know whether or not these things will happen. No one can say.

What we do know though is that Trump is a demagogue. If America voted in someone that would bring about death camps and big brother making people disappear then it would be because people voted someone like Trump and the current Republican party without any checks and balances.

There is every reason to be worried. And these things are more likely to happen if people aren't vigilant.

To set the record straight, I brought up deathcamps in hyperbolic speech. You, and others, legitimized the concept.

15-11-2016, 10:25 AM
(15-11-2016 08:41 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 06:58 AM)Dom Wrote:  I don't think he cares about any issue either way. Issues are bargaining tools to broker his glory is all.

He does care if he is perceived as a failure though, mortally so. His perception is everything. He doesn't want Trump to go down in history as a loser president. That's good for us in this sense.

I think that is a very good point.
And that makes protest useful. If he does something stupid, he will see how unpopular he is and might correct it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-11-2016, 10:44 AM
(15-11-2016 10:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 08:41 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  He does care if he is perceived as a failure though, mortally so. His perception is everything. He doesn't want Trump to go down in history as a loser president. That's good for us in this sense.

I think that is a very good point.
And that makes protest useful. If he does something stupid, he will see how unpopular he is and might correct it.

Hey, I fully support people's right to protest...but I do not support rioting one inch. Additionally, it seems to me that a protest would be better spent on protesting specific positions, or policies though. Shouting "Not my president" sends a message, intended or not, that you are against having democratic elections...the same "fears" that Clinton supporters were happy to express in the media prior to Election Day. How about protesting divisive speech, or election reform, or abortion rights. The problem is that this is an emotional reaction, not one driven to lead to organized positive outcomes. Not to say that people emotions aren't legitimate, but there are better ways to express emotions than what we're seeing from some of the mobs of angry people.

[+] 3 users Like Dark Light's post
15-11-2016, 10:59 AM
(15-11-2016 10:44 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 10:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  I think that is a very good point.

Hey, I fully support people's right to protest...but I do not support rioting one inch. Additionally, it seems to me that a protest would be better spent on protesting specific positions, or policies though. Shouting "Not my president" sends a message, intended or not, that you are against having democratic elections...the same "fears" that Clinton supporters were happy to express in the media prior to Election Day. How about protesting divisive speech, or election reform, or abortion rights. The problem is that this is an emotional reaction, not one driven to lead to organized positive outcomes. Not to say that people emotions aren't legitimate, but there are better ways to express emotions than what we're seeing from some of the mobs of angry people.

I agree that the "not my President" stuff is stupid -- but that's precisely why I'm so upset about the results of this election. He/they didn't steal it -- this is what the people of America want. He is my President whether or not I like it, and that depresses the fuck out of me. Our new leaders are an incompetent megalomaniac and a creationist theocrat, and the people of this country are fine with that. They wanted it. They voted for it. And I'm stuck with it. Kill me now.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post