Protesters take to the streets

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2016, 11:20 AM
RE: Protesters take to the streets
Protests are usually about many things. The Vietnam protests in the 60's were not just about the war but about equal rights and many other issues. I'll be protesting trumps henchmen and his regime, his Creationist vice president and his attack on Planned Parenthood. I donated money to Planned Parenthood in Mike Pence's honor and had the "honor of certification" sent to his office. It was the sweetest 50 dollars I ever spent.

I'll also protest trumps narcissist personality disorder and his unbridled ego. Then there are some minor things that piss me off. His botoxed, Stepford brained wife is certainly a huge letdown after Michelle Obama.

He does NOT represent me or anything I believe in.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2016, 11:21 AM
(15-11-2016 10:06 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 03:50 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  As far as I can tell the only person bringing up death camps is you. I just googled "death camps" and Trump and nothing relevant came up. If you can link to any 'deathcamp scare-hype' in the media then please do so.

You are making a strawman argument.

Well, here is the quotes in context...

(13-11-2016 07:17 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Of course there are no death camps. He's not even president yet.

The thing is, neither you nor anyone else actually knows what is coming. That's the problem. We don't know whether or not these things will happen. No one can say.

What we do know though is that Trump is a demagogue. If America voted in someone that would bring about death camps and big brother making people disappear then it would be because people voted someone like Trump and the current Republican party without any checks and balances.

There is every reason to be worried. And these things are more likely to happen if people aren't vigilant.

To set the record straight, I brought up deathcamps in hyperbolic speech. You, and others, legitimized the concept.

So you brought it up as hyperbole, I reply that we just don't know what will happen and that vigilance is important to stop such things from ever happening, you continue to use the same hyperbole, so I call you out on it and apparently I'm the one legitimising the concept?

Maybe you should stop repeating the same hyperbole otherwise people might assume that you are being serious.
15-11-2016, 11:22 AM
(15-11-2016 10:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 08:41 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  He does care if he is perceived as a failure though, mortally so. His perception is everything. He doesn't want Trump to go down in history as a loser president. That's good for us in this sense.

I think that is a very good point.
And that makes protest useful. If he does something stupid, he will see how unpopular he is and might correct it.

Problem is cognitive dissonance. He will always convince himself that he is not at fault and that something else is. e.g. rigged elections.
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
15-11-2016, 11:29 AM
(15-11-2016 11:20 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Protests are usually about many things. The Vietnam protests in the 60's were not just about the war but about equal rights and many other issues. I'll be protesting trumps henchmen and his regime, his Creationist vice president and his attack on Planned Parenthood. I donated money to Planned Parenthood in Mike Pence's honor and had the "honor of certification" sent to his office. It was the sweetest 50 dollars I ever spent.

I'll also protest trumps narcissist personality disorder and his unbridled ego. Then there are some minor things that piss me off. His botoxed, Stepford brained wife is certainly a huge letdown after Michelle Obama.

He does NOT represent me or anything I believe in.

This is the first time America will have a bimbo as first lady Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
15-11-2016, 11:30 AM
(15-11-2016 10:59 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 10:44 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Hey, I fully support people's right to protest...but I do not support rioting one inch. Additionally, it seems to me that a protest would be better spent on protesting specific positions, or policies though. Shouting "Not my president" sends a message, intended or not, that you are against having democratic elections...the same "fears" that Clinton supporters were happy to express in the media prior to Election Day. How about protesting divisive speech, or election reform, or abortion rights. The problem is that this is an emotional reaction, not one driven to lead to organized positive outcomes. Not to say that people emotions aren't legitimate, but there are better ways to express emotions than what we're seeing from some of the mobs of angry people.

I agree that the "not my President" stuff is stupid -- but that's precisely why I'm so upset about the results of this election. He/they didn't steal it -- this is what the people of America want. He is my President whether or not I like it, and that depresses the fuck out of me. Our new leaders are an incompetent megalomaniac and a creationist theocrat, and the people of this country are fine with that. They wanted it. They voted for it. And I'm stuck with it. Kill me now.

Well, sort of. The majority of voters did not vote for him.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
15-11-2016, 11:31 AM
(15-11-2016 08:41 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  He does care if he is perceived as a failure though, mortally so. His perception is everything. He doesn't want Trump to go down in history as a loser president. That's good for us in this sense.

Maybe the protest signs should read “Don’t be a loser president” instead of “Not my president”. Consider

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
15-11-2016, 11:35 AM
(15-11-2016 11:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 10:59 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I agree that the "not my President" stuff is stupid -- but that's precisely why I'm so upset about the results of this election. He/they didn't steal it -- this is what the people of America want. He is my President whether or not I like it, and that depresses the fuck out of me. Our new leaders are an incompetent megalomaniac and a creationist theocrat, and the people of this country are fine with that. They wanted it. They voted for it. And I'm stuck with it. Kill me now.

Well, sort of. The majority of voters did not vote for him.

Right, but enough of them did. And it continues to baffle me and depress me that anyone did. How could anyone think that a buffoon like Trump is fit to be President? Have we traded reality for the Jerry Springer show? Has America sunk that far? Apparently, yes. We really are as stupid as the rest of the world thinks we are. Congratulations, us.
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
15-11-2016, 11:35 AM
(15-11-2016 11:22 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 10:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  I think that is a very good point.
And that makes protest useful. If he does something stupid, he will see how unpopular he is and might correct it.

Problem is cognitive dissonance. He will always convince himself that he is not at fault and that something else is. e.g. rigged elections.

[Image: Donald-Trump-2016-Presidential-Bobblehea...km7uxr.jpg]

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
15-11-2016, 11:37 AM
I find it quite ironic that the Republican supporters have this image of liberals being too weak and ineffectual to do anything because of their personal empathy and being scared of guns, while they think themselves as being all strong and powerful because they have a tool that can kill people. And then these same people start criticising liberals for rioting. Has it not occurred to them to re-evaluate their original prejudices?

Rioting isn't the answer. It hurts the wrong people, loses both support and the moral ground. Unfortunately some people will also use a peaceful protest as an excuse to cause violence and put the blame on someone else. The government will also seize upon this to discredit them protesters. It always happens without fail no matter the political leanings of the protester or government.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
15-11-2016, 11:38 AM
(15-11-2016 11:37 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I find it quite ironic that the Republican supporters have this image of liberals being too weak and ineffectual to do anything because of their personal empathy and being scared of guns, while they think themselves as being all strong and powerful because they have a tool that can kill people. And then these same people start criticising liberals for rioting. Has it not occurred to them then to re-evaluate their original prejudices?

Rioting isn't the answer. It hurts the wrong people, loses both support and the moral ground. Unfortunately some people will also use a peaceful protest as an excuse to cause violence and put the blame on someone else. The government will also seize upon this to discredit them protesters. It always happens without fail no matter the political leanings of the protester or government.

Tiny penis syndrome. I know it all too well.

#sigh