Protesters take to the streets

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2016, 09:10 AM
RE: Protesters take to the streets
(10-11-2016 09:07 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Thing is -- the big orange buffoon hasn't gotten into office yet.....

It's (if nothing else) unsportsmanlike to protest the results of a fair election.......

Now -- when he gets in office - and starts pissing people off (and he will) -- THEN is the time to have meaningful protests.

I might even be there myself.....

I've done it before....

There is no right or wrong time for free speech. We ALWAYS have free speech. When that stops (and Trump did get upset that the media published everything he said) - that's when we are truly fucked.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2016, 09:11 AM
(10-11-2016 02:57 AM)ViolexTV Wrote:  I've been hearing reports of hate crimes by Trump supporters in wake of his victory..
Actually, the violent apes from the Left are at it again. Here you have a video, not just a "report."

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
10-11-2016, 09:12 AM
(10-11-2016 09:03 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(10-11-2016 08:18 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Protests are all good and well until they turn violent and destructive, at that point they immediately lose the moral high ground.

People are upset, I get that, I am too. You want to march and show your displeasure? Fine, we have a right to peacefully assemble. You start defacing and destroying property and clashing with LEO then you no longer have my support.

The Big Orange was elected fair and square and it is our job now to figure out why and how that happened, why were the people that voted for him feeling disenfranchised, and what can we do to address those grievances so that four years from now we can have a nominee that represents not just “our” viewpoints but many of theirs as well.

Go ahead and take some time to facepalm, bitch and moan and be angry. Then strap up your bootlaces and get to work. I think that this is a great learning opportunity to all the young, college educated, city-dwellers on what happens when you see the world in an insular way.

I may have another 5-6 presidential elections left in me, but these folks have 14-15...a full lifetime of these things, try and remember what this feels like and learn from it.

In my view the US political pendulum is swinging in longer arcs than ever, Reagan/Bush to Clinton to Dubya to Obama to now (gasp) Trump. If the next iteration is a Bernie-like president I shudder to think what comes after.

How about both sides holster their weapons and try for a middle ground? A slightly leaning left or right moderate? That way everyone is unhappy and we can do the nation’s work without being at each other’s throats.

My 2 cents.

http://time.com/4565747/anti-trump-prote...o-oakland/

Peaceful protests in the 70s are what brought gay rights to the forefront, they are why you now see women holding some of the important jobs, they were instrumental in bringing Nixon down. Peaceful demonstrations are one of the most important tools of free speech. They haven't happened in decades, but perhaps the millennials will bring them back. Most of the recent protests were peaceful.

Thumbsup to the millennials.

Peaceful protests come as part of the package of free speech. They have been on such a long hiatus, it's easy for people to view them as rabble rousing. Are the core aspects of Trump's platform are the kind of things you meet halfway? Apparently millennials think not.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
10-11-2016, 10:01 AM
I've been trying to become involved in the protests in Portland but many of them are spontaneous, spur of the moments gatherings. I'd probably be the oldest gal there but I don't give a shit. Half this country didn't vote for trump and he needs to know that he and his cohorts can't simply run off with the ball and play any game they want.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
10-11-2016, 10:19 AM
(10-11-2016 10:01 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I've been trying to become involved in the protests in Portland but many of them are spontaneous, spur of the moments gatherings. I'd probably be the oldest gal there but I don't give a shit. Half this country didn't vote for trump and he needs to know that he and his cohorts can't simply run off with the ball and play any game they want.

In my view the next best time to show your displeasure will be in the mid-term elections. Start preparing for those, grass-roots organizations can and do make for change.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
10-11-2016, 11:07 AM
(10-11-2016 10:19 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(10-11-2016 10:01 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I've been trying to become involved in the protests in Portland but many of them are spontaneous, spur of the moments gatherings. I'd probably be the oldest gal there but I don't give a shit. Half this country didn't vote for trump and he needs to know that he and his cohorts can't simply run off with the ball and play any game they want.

In my view the next best time to show your displeasure will be in the mid-term elections. Start preparing for those, grass-roots organizations can and do make for change.

Yes, that too. I've signed up at the Democratic party headquarters as a volunteer but if a "protest trump" group of people are walking by you can bet I'll be marching with them

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
10-11-2016, 11:27 AM
(10-11-2016 10:19 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  

I agree. But how do you overcome Republican structural over-representation? They win the House, even though their representatives get a million votes less than the Dems overall.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
10-11-2016, 11:40 AM
Quote:All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

Thomas Jefferson

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
10-11-2016, 11:44 AM
(10-11-2016 11:27 AM)tomilay Wrote:  
(10-11-2016 10:19 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  In my view the next best time to show your displeasure will be in the mid-term elections. Start preparing for those, grass-roots organizations can and do make for change.

I agree. But how do you overcome Republican structural over-representation? They win the House, even though their representatives get a million votes less than the Dems overall.

If they can be gridlocked it would hold off some of the damage.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
10-11-2016, 11:45 AM
(10-11-2016 09:10 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(10-11-2016 09:07 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Thing is -- the big orange buffoon hasn't gotten into office yet.....

It's (if nothing else) unsportsmanlike to protest the results of a fair election.......

Now -- when he gets in office - and starts pissing people off (and he will) -- THEN is the time to have meaningful protests.

I might even be there myself.....

I've done it before....

There is no right or wrong time for free speech. We ALWAYS have free speech. When that stops (and Trump did get upset that the media published everything he said) - that's when we are truly fucked.

Well, he's not suggesting they shouldn't be allowed, just that they're premature and misguided.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user