Protesters take to the streets

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2016, 05:28 AM
RE: Protesters take to the streets
(17-11-2016 05:18 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You call taking up arms - and being the terrorist (of the day) "protest"??????

Strawman argument. Show me where I said that.

(17-11-2016 05:18 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Remember - at the time - "wars" were fought by opposing troops standing in straight lines - shooting at each other --- a "gentlemanly" way of fighting....

But - the Colonists quickly found out that they were outnumbered - and outgunned. (The Brits had a ready supply of rifled barrels - the Colonists had mostly smoothbores. (less accurate). )

Consequently -- the Colonists used "cowardly" tactics of firing from cover - then running like a jackrabbit -- and NOT WEARING UNIFORMS...... The Brits couldn't tell the rebels from the loyal colonists.... (sound familiar??)

The colonists were called (the day's equivalent) "terrorists".

Totally irrelevant to what I said.

(17-11-2016 05:18 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You call terrorism a valid form of protest???

Strawman argument. Show me where I said that.

(17-11-2016 05:18 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Vietnam??? The protests had something to do with it ---- but, the long running war was such a tar-baby - that any politician could win an election simply by promising to get us out of the war..... (again -- sound familiar????)

Yes it does sound familiar because this is exactly what I described in my last paragraph:

(17-11-2016 03:07 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  But the protest itself is a sign of the strength of a grass roots movement. This sends a message to political enemies of the leadership that they can rely on the support of the voter.

(17-11-2016 05:18 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Today's "protestors" aren't protesting anything other than the fact that they lost an election.

If that was so then why don't they always protest in such a way? Why do they feel so strongly about having lost this particular election?

(17-11-2016 05:18 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Hope you like it when the other side does it --- because now you're in favor of such things --- right??????

Sure you are...

In favour of what exactly? Tell me what you think I am advocating. With quotes please.

(17-11-2016 05:18 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  See you in 2020.....

That's just you trying to shut down the argument. No. Counter my points properly or concede that you are wrong.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-11-2016, 05:30 AM
(16-11-2016 08:27 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  This thread is a good example that people aren't interested in discussing the issues anymore, if they ever were. I'm done with this one, you guys have at it.

With you there, mate!

The degeneration of pragmatic, objective debate into emotional, subjective slanging matches is, perhaps, a minor manifestation as to why American elections turn into the farcical circus acts recently played out. A cultural phenomenon?

This is certainly the most aggressive forum I have found so far - barring a quick look into far right ones.

Think I'll stick to the jokey and sciences based threads in future.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
17-11-2016, 05:44 AM
These protests wont work because they have no moral high ground to stand on. They were not wronged. They are not fighting against some kind of horrible evil action.
They lost a motherfucking fair election in a democratic country that likes to hold itself up as a beacon for democracy (even though they suck at it). They look like spoiled children throwing a tantrum. ESPECIALLY when they're blocking the freeway and stopping emergency services from getting through.

It's a fucking joke if you think these people will ever achieve anything with these "protests".

Vietnam, you have dead soldiers and a country invading another. You have images of protestors putting flowers into guns. That's a vastly different kind of protest protesting a vastly different issue in a vastly different time.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
17-11-2016, 05:51 AM
(17-11-2016 05:44 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  These protests wont work because they have no moral high ground to stand on.

Whether they work or not depends upon what they are trying to achieve.

There's a big difference between saying that the new administration needs to take their concerns into account because there's discontent now which will only increase if ignored, and asking for the election results to be overturned.

The protesters themselves would argue that they do have a moral high ground. It's all down to perception.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
17-11-2016, 05:59 AM
Quote:Whether they work or not depends upon what they are trying to achieve.

Well if their goal is to fuck up traffic for a week or two, piss everyone off, make themselves look like retards and have a failed protest I'd say they're achieving their goal with stunning success.

Quote:because there's discontent now which will only increase if ignored

lol. LOL! LOL!!
Comon Mathilda, you're not an idiot. That's not how these things work.
Literally what happens is they get ignored and slowly fade away.

Quote:The protesters themselves would argue that they do have a moral high ground. It's all down to perception.

And WBBC would argue that they have the moral high ground. Doesn't mean they do.
Literally, ANY side of a protest will argue they have the moral high ground.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
17-11-2016, 06:06 AM
(17-11-2016 05:59 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:because there's discontent now which will only increase if ignored

lol. LOL! LOL!!

Maybe you would like to add a condescending smiley to your Lols, because we all know that makes a valid argument in itself.

(17-11-2016 03:07 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Protest absolutely does have an effect, but it's not immediately obvious how. Governments can't be seen giving into protesters because it is a sign of weakness. But the protest itself is a sign of the strength of a grass roots movement. This sends a message to political enemies of the leadership that they can rely on the support of the voter.
17-11-2016, 06:10 AM
Quote:Maybe you would like to add a condescending smiley to your Lols, because we all know that makes a valid argument in itself.

Oh, I'm sorry, I must have missed all the fucking citation you posted to back up everything you've claimed thus far.
I wasn't aware that all your arguments were thusly validated by all the proof you have swamped us with and that general comments with no founding on anything other than opinions and varying degrees of different sized lol's were allowed.

17-11-2016, 06:50 AM
(17-11-2016 06:10 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:Maybe you would like to add a condescending smiley to your Lols, because we all know that makes a valid argument in itself.

Oh, I'm sorry, I must have missed all the fucking citation you posted to back up everything you've claimed thus far.
I wasn't aware that all your arguments were thusly validated by all the proof you have swamped us with and that general comments with no founding on anything other than opinions and varying degrees of different sized lol's were allowed.

So I haven't posted a citation (and neither have you) and this is somehow comparable to dismissing everything out of hand without explaining why and going:

(17-11-2016 05:59 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  lol. LOL! LOL!!

Sure if that's the way you want to communicate:

Facepalm
Weeping

Next post will be through the medium of dance and swearing.
17-11-2016, 06:52 AM
(17-11-2016 06:10 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  

Sweetheart, if my generation way back when had not stopped all the traffic in San Francisco by sitting in the streets with signs about gay rights, no one would have talked about it. And if no one had talked about it, nothing would have changed.

Judging by how much you are shooting off about this - the current protesters are on the right track.

It's all about starting conversation and THINKING in the population and in government. Protest never brings immediate action.

The point is that there will be a white supremacist in the white house and people need to think about that post haste.

Unfortunately I think that Trump will stomp on the protesters once in power. That will cause more conversation, but the price may be high.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 6 users Like Dom's post
17-11-2016, 07:07 AM
(17-11-2016 06:52 AM)Dom Wrote:  It's all about starting conversation and THINKING in the population and in government. Protest never brings immediate action.

People were disappointed at the time that the global protests against the Iraq war didn't stop it, but in hindsight, there were real effects from protesting

Iraq war 10 years on: mass protest that defined a generation

Quote:"People feel very disappointed by it but the only way you could say it failed is if people now said the Iraq war was right and Tony Blair was right after all," says Lindsey German, convener of the Stop the War Coalition. "OK, we didn't stop that war but we kept that anti-war opinion together." German is convinced the anti-war movement had a lasting impact on what we know about the war (without protest there would have been less of the scrutiny that exposed the sham of WMDs), on British public opinion (more sceptical of other wars) and on politicians. "It makes it much, much harder for them now to do it again. Look at what Cameron says now over Mali or Syria or Libya – 'It's not going to be like Iraq.'"

Quote:The long-term impact of the march was that "it ended up with Blair being driven out of office" thinks Livingstone. "It revealed the bankruptcy of this new Labour nonsense that they were listening and in touch. The only person they were listening to was George Bush."