Protesting the Mayor calling for Prayer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2011, 07:09 AM
Protesting the Mayor calling for Prayer
I am going to a protest today. I'm not one to do so, but I feel like doing it. In a previous post I mentioned the story of Mayor Linda Thompson of Harrisburg, PA who called for prayer for the city's problems. Which I don't mind per say, but when you tack on the fact that she makes her staff pray, and when she found out one of her staffers wasn't a believer prayed for him at a meeting asking the lord to forgive him.

Here is some background

I was also dismayed at some of the news coverage. Two non believers organizing this were on the radio yesterday, and some of the callers were down right rude, telling them they were going to hell. The loving Christians then waxed philosophic about how they couldn't understand how anyone could have a problem with it.

I know being a non believer can feel very isolating, and these sorts of comments make it worse.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2011, 07:16 AM
RE: Protesting the Mayor calling for Prayer
I would definitely join in protesting this. The mayor is not only enacting prayer as a social policy she is also creating an excuse to ignore a serious problem. I can't understand how anything is getting done in your town with all of the turnaround in her office. It is hugely intolerant to force her belief system so heavily on her staff and her state. Some may say that she's not forcing anything, but she is obviously promoting one particular view on a very broad topic as the answer to the problems. And if the debt isn't helped she will probably say that she called for prayer, but not enough people participated.

Citizens have the right to have their own beliefs and should not be chastised for disagreeing with the religious beliefs of their authorities.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
24-06-2011, 07:20 AM
I do concede that she is walking a fine line between respecting an establishment of religion or just asking for prayer, in a fashion similar to platitudes one makes after disasters.

It's a fine legal line she's walking here, very thin ice she's on.

I heard a conservative radio host yesterday vehemently defend her (she's a liberal) which was odd because I think in cases like this a person's belief in a deity get in the way of a common sense. They forget to think that if she was calling for prayer to Zenu, or especially Allah, they would not be defending her.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-06-2011, 07:35 AM
Well the mayor is expected to live her life by her beliefs, but when she makes a mayoral request of people to follow her beliefs that's stepping beyond her limits. Her religion can influence what she decides to do while in office, but should not be broadcasted to the state as part of her mayoral views.

It's unfortunate that people often concede the issue when the presented problem is not a problem for them, but that is something we must expect of people and it is up to those who cannot agree with a decision to make the statement that their rights are important as well. The majority will often have majority biases, but as long as the minority mentions these biases hopefully the majority can agree to work on them.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
24-06-2011, 09:56 AM
(24-06-2011 07:20 AM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  They forget to think that if she was calling for prayer to Zenu, or especially Allah, they would not be defending her.

This always gets my blood boiling.... Sponsor a bill to get "God" on the dollar bill changed to "Allah" and watch the hypocrites come out of the woodwork.

“We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles