Protests and Prayer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2017, 06:27 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2017 06:41 AM by onlinebiker.)
Protests and Prayer
When you hear someone tout "the power of prayer" because ," we prayed for "x" and "x" happened", do you find that legitimate evidence?

I don't. The claim lacks the needed level of scientific proof and methodology. What's your double blind study??? Where' s your control group?? Is it repeatable???

Not so much, huh??

So you'll forgive me if I'm skeptical about the "results" of protests.

As far as I can tell, both are examples of doing nothing, and expecting something.

Edit to add - to clarify - "protest" refers to the marching and sign waving variety....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2017, 06:47 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2017 06:53 AM by I'mFred.)
RE: Protests and Prayer
Hang on. I'm editing this.

Prayer is predicated on an entirely impossible and frankly stupid premise.

People are very influenced by what others think so it's reasonable to conclude protesting MIGHT be worthwhile.
05-05-2017, 07:05 AM
(05-05-2017 06:27 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  When you hear someone tout "the power of prayer" because ," we prayed for "x" and "x" happened", do you find that legitimate evidence?

I don't. The claim lacks the needed level of scientific proof and methodology. What's your double blind study??? Where' s your control group?? Is it repeatable???

Not so much, huh??

As far as I can tell, both are examples of doing nothing, and expecting something.

Edit to add - to clarify - "protest" refers to the marching and sign waving variety....

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Nobody should fucking listen to you. Just because things don't happen overnight does not mean they cannot change. It took the GOP 36 years of their bullshit scare tactics and gerrymandering. It isn't going to get fixed in 1 day.

Glad blacks and women listen to you, we'd still have separate bathrooms and women would still not be allowed to vote.

FUCK OFF. Nobody listen to this idiot. We know that Trump lost by 3 million. We know that his inauguration was a fucking joke and many of the following protests beat his numbers.

Liberals reading this bullshit, don't listen to him. We have the numbers and we can win but it is an every day thing. We have the numbers, but it is an every day thing. Every voice counts and every voice adds up.

FUCK YOU ASSHOLE.

NOBODY LISTEN TO THIS FUCK, WE CAN PROTEST AND WE WILL MAKE IT WORK!

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-05-2017, 07:31 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2017 07:43 AM by RearViewMirror.)
(05-05-2017 06:27 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  When you hear someone tout "the power of prayer" because ," we prayed for "x" and "x" happened", do you find that legitimate evidence?

Not so much, huh??

Well... I'm won't be quite as... passionate? (shall we say) as Brian37 in my response. But I will say we all know prayer is shit so that's a given. Peaceful protesting has it's place. We are lucky we live in a country that allows for protesting of issues we perceive as unjust or just flat out wrong. I agree with Brian that if the civil right's protests didn't happen we would still be living in a segregated world. We still have a long way to go with race relations but protesting moved the civil rights movement forward. Same thing with women and the right to vote (among various other issues). What if that wasn't protested?
Women (and men) should be protesting every single day for equal pay for the same job. It's asinine to think a woman gets paid less just because of gender.
LGBT? Look how far we've come? That didn't happen overnight. It happened by protesting and gaining awareness. That said, we still have a very long way to go with the issues that the LGBT community face but eventually I believe it will move forward. That is my hope.

So yes... I think protesting is a good thing. And although it may just look like a bunch of people waving signs. If it weren't for the grassroots efforts of people like that we would be much further back in history than we are now.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
05-05-2017, 07:35 AM

Not so much, huh??

In regards to protests:

By definition, protesting is not "doing nothing". You are going out to a location, marching, waving signs, yelling, being visible. You are exposing yourself to public scrutiny and in some instances, physical violence and or arrests.

So, calling it "doing nothing" is not really fair.

Personally, I would say "Is protesting effective?" Does it accomplish anything? Are changes brought about because of the protests?

I would say that yes, sometimes protests can do these things.

One example are the protests that started Arab Spring:
Wikipedia
The protests led to uprisings which led to regime changes in multiple countries.

I would say that the anti-war protests in the US during the 60's led to changes, although perhaps not the ones that were intended.

I think protests can lead to change but that the change might not be better and it might not be the changes anticipated.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
05-05-2017, 07:49 AM
Protest is the public demonstration of public opinion.

It does get under most politician's skin.

It creates an enthusiasm among protesters that translates into votes.

Shout your protest from the roof tops, it's worked before and it will work again.

Comparing it to prayer is just - pfffft. (The sound of hot air escaping)

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
05-05-2017, 07:50 AM
(05-05-2017 07:31 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  

Not so much, huh??

Well... I'm won't be quite as... passionate? (shall we say) as Brian37 in my response. But I will say we all know prayer is shit so that's a given. Peaceful protesting has it's place. We are lucky we live in a country that allows for protesting of issues we perceive as unjust or just flat out wrong. I agree with Brian that if the civil right's protests didn't happen we would still be living in a segregated world. We still have a long way to go with race relations but protesting moved the civil rights movement forward. Same thing with women and the right to vote (among various other issues). What if that wasn't protested? Women (and men) should be protesting every single day for equal pay for the same job. It's asinine to think a woman gets paid less just because of gender.
LGBT? Look how far we've come? That didn't happen overnight. It happened by protesting and gaining awareness. That said, we still have a very long way to go with the issues that the LGBT community but eventually I believe it will move forward. That is my hope.

So yes... I think protesting is a good thing. And although it may just look like a bunch of people waving signs. If it weren't for the grassroots efforts of people like that we would be much further back in history than we are now.

Why not be passionate? You see what is going on. Trump and the GOP are in power because of 36 years of cold war bullshit and have demagogue'd and race baited the entire time just to rip tax payers off to protect corporate welfare. Now they are trying to undo much needed health care.

I take this shit very seriously, because I am 50 and I am not getting any younger, and if the GOP gets what they want, that WILL drain what my mom left me. This is no longer simply politics, this is literally going to be life and death for millions.

I am really pissed at my fellow liberals for allowing the GOP to divide us. We could have improved on what Obama left us, but WE let the GOP divide us. I am sick of that shit, there was no reason one bit we cannot win in the future. But we have to want it, and we have to get better in volume speaking out every day, and showing up to protests and vote in every local and state and national election EVERY YEAR as well as expanding our map.

It was because of liberals giving up when Reagan busted the airline Unions we gave up and have been held hostage since.

Passionate? DAMNED RIGHT!

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-05-2017, 07:51 AM
(05-05-2017 07:05 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  

Not so much, huh??

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Nobody should fucking listen to you. Just because things don't happen overnight does not mean they cannot change. It took the GOP 36 years of their bullshit scare tactics and gerrymandering. It isn't going to get fixed in 1 day.

Glad blacks and women listen to you, we'd still have separate bathrooms and women would still not be allowed to vote.

FUCK OFF. Nobody listen to this idiot. We know that Trump lost by 3 million. We know that his inauguration was a fucking joke and many of the following protests beat his numbers.

Liberals reading this bullshit, don't listen to him. We have the numbers and we can win but it is an every day thing. We have the numbers, but it is an every day thing. Every voice counts and every voice adds up.

FUCK YOU ASSHOLE.

NOBODY LISTEN TO THIS FUCK, WE CAN PROTEST AND WE WILL MAKE IT WORK!
I knew I could count on you as a great example of the angry asshole sign waver.

Thanks for your (innefective) contribution.

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
05-05-2017, 07:58 AM
(05-05-2017 07:50 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(05-05-2017 07:31 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  Well... I'm won't be quite as... passionate? (shall we say) as Brian37 in my response. But I will say we all know prayer is shit so that's a given. Peaceful protesting has it's place. We are lucky we live in a country that allows for protesting of issues we perceive as unjust or just flat out wrong. I agree with Brian that if the civil right's protests didn't happen we would still be living in a segregated world. We still have a long way to go with race relations but protesting moved the civil rights movement forward. Same thing with women and the right to vote (among various other issues). What if that wasn't protested? Women (and men) should be protesting every single day for equal pay for the same job. It's asinine to think a woman gets paid less just because of gender.
LGBT? Look how far we've come? That didn't happen overnight. It happened by protesting and gaining awareness. That said, we still have a very long way to go with the issues that the LGBT community but eventually I believe it will move forward. That is my hope.

Why not be passionate? You see what is going on. Trump and the GOP are in power because of 36 years of cold war bullshit and have demagogue'd and race baited the entire time just to rip tax payers off to protect corporate welfare. Now they are trying to undo much needed health care.

I take this shit very seriously, because I am 50 and I am not getting any younger, and if the GOP gets what they want, that WILL drain what my mom left me. This is no longer simply politics, this is literally going to be life and death for millions.

I am really pissed at my fellow liberals for allowing the GOP to divide us. We could have improved on what Obama left us, but WE let the GOP divide us. I am sick of that shit, there was no reason one bit we cannot win in the future. But we have to want it, and we have to get better in volume speaking out every day, and showing up to protests and vote in every local and state and national election EVERY YEAR as well as expanding our map.

It was because of liberals giving up when Reagan busted the airline Unions we gave up and have been held hostage since.

Passionate? DAMNED RIGHT!

I agree with you completely. My "passionate" quote was the way you approached onlinebiker. I feel there is a better way to get a point across than telling someone "Fuck you asshole".

Now as far as being passionate about the things you bring up I agree with you. Damn near everything you posted is correct. We are in a sad state now. And as long as Trump is in office I don't see things getting better anytime soon so now is the time to be passionate. I'm just not into attacking a member of the forum for posting something that might not completely elaborate on the subject of protesting.

I'm just as frustrated as you.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
05-05-2017, 08:20 AM
People can go as ballistic as they want about it and hurl ignorant and unnecessary comments at onlinebiker but if you really want change you should be open to what he's saying. To say unequivocally it's not worth considering (or much worse, even personal attacks) says to me you may be afraid to look at the possibility that all your political efforts are a useless waste of time. Why shouldn't that at least be open for examination?
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post