Proud Atheist, finally!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-07-2017, 06:35 PM
Proud Atheist, finally!
Hello to everyone! My name is Audrey, I'm 40 years old, married with 2 great kids and have an adorable border collie/Aussie shep. mix dog. Smile I'm an all around geek/fangirl of many sci-fi/fantasy/comic and tv shows, as well as animation nerd, costume maker, cosplayer and a furry. Big Grin And, pretty much as of a few weeks ago, an Atheist.

I regret how long it took me to get to this point, regarding religion, since I know, in my heart, I haven't really believed in a long time. I know also that the main reason for my clinging so long is my mother, who is devoutly Christian. For as long as I can remember, she was wanted to be a Nun, and is still actively seeking to become one. When I little, church was a huge part of our lives...I remember going to choir, and after school youth groups, and playing 'church' with my brothers where we'd give each other necco wafers as the host. ;P I even recall these things with fondness.

I don't recall any specific point where I stopped believing, but I do know that it was the questioning of morality that gave me doubts. How could a loving god ignore the world's pain? Why would be send good people to hell just because they didn't believe? And from there, the exact teachings of the Catholic church just fell apart. I knew the Bible wasn't real...it was pretty obvious, really. But I still wanted to hang onto god...like, a god existed, just humans had gotten it wrong in the writing of the Bible. So, for many years, I just went with my own god, making him 'better', in my head.

Still, I got married, and my husband agreed, a little grudgingly, to a catholic wedding..which was more to please my mother. I didn't care, to be honest. My husband had also grown up Catholic, but, I think at that point I would have said he was an apathetic atheist. Religion was never something we talked about, or bothered with. And then came my kids. This is the point where I could no longer just go along with whatever. I tried to hold on...I went to non-denominational churches for a few years, wanting to keep believing in something. I thought church would be good for the kids, but, I also really didn't want them to be indoctrinated into a Christian church. But, my mom guilted and harped at me, and still does, about getting them Baptized. That is a longer story which I will try and get help with later, but, basically, by that point, I was squarely stating I was agnostic.

I still didn't like saying I was an Atheist, because, I hate to admit it, I had the thought that 'atheism is a religion', and had them pegged and mean and angry. (I know better now!!) Then, a couple of months ago, I started following a couple of atheist Youtube video creators, and they made me laugh and see things in new ways, learned things I'd never known, like a better understanding of evolution. Then, about two weeks ago, I watched a video of Christopher Hitchens...I fell in love with him. Since then, I've barely left youtube! I've been devouring information as much as I can. I love the debates. I found this forum through the Thinking Atheist youtube channel. But really, I feel like I've been peering through the mist for a long time, but finally, the smoke has cleared for good. I'm very happy, and not embarrassed, or ashamed to say that I'm an Atheist now.

Tried not to make this too long, sorry! But I feel like it's been such a long road to get here.
<3
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Dreamerwolf's post
04-07-2017, 06:40 PM
RE: Proud Atheist, finally!
Welcome!!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

04-07-2017, 06:46 PM
Welcome! Pull up a chair and chime right in. Drinking Beverage

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
04-07-2017, 07:16 PM
Welcome!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
04-07-2017, 07:40 PM
Hello, welcome! Shy

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
04-07-2017, 07:55 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2017 08:26 PM by outtathereligioncloset.)
Welcome! I LOVE this place. I think you're a little further on your path than I am yet. I am still one foot in the closet with who I will share my beliefs with. Honestly, where I live I'm a little afraid of waking up to a burning cross in my yard.

Atheists on YouTube? Have you checked out Tim Minchin? There are soooo many of his videos. You can tell by some of the titles. Thank You God, Religion, the Pope Song, Ten foot C*ck and a Few Hundred Virgins, etc. etc. etc. Although in all fairness I should mention that my favorite of his is not religion-related. It's called "Inflatable You." He does drop a incredible number of F bombs though so if you're offended by language he's rough.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
04-07-2017, 08:35 PM
Thanks everyone!

Outtathereligioncloset: No, I haven't! I'll look him up. If you have any other suggestions for good videos, I'd love to know. Deterlucem was the first Youtuber that I binge-watched. Then Cosmic Skeptic, and then I went on to Hitchens, Dawkins, Seth Andrews and many other debaters.
04-07-2017, 08:42 PM
Hello! Big Grin
04-07-2017, 11:06 PM
G'day mate, and welcome to the forums. Smile

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
05-07-2017, 01:13 AM
Welcome.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.