Proud Atheist, finally!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2017, 01:19 AM
RE: Proud Atheist, finally!
You are watching Hitchens? Thats pretty hardcore....but he always had some points, he just liked to make them crystal clear
Tongue

If you like the "direct" approach of Hitches, then you may like Dillahunty too. He did quite a few debates.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2017, 01:37 AM
Welcome to the mountain top. The road was long. The journey hard. You may have fallen. You may have been hungry at points. You may have gotten injured. But you are finally at the top.

And what a view it is too. Wasn't it worth it to have such an amazing view and good people here with you to share it with?
[+] 1 user Likes BlkFnx's post
05-07-2017, 02:35 AM
[Image: 225px-Terry.jpg]
WELCOME TO THE WOOORRLD OF ATHEISM!!!

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-07-2017, 03:58 AM
(04-07-2017 06:35 PM)Dreamerwolf Wrote:  Hello to everyone! My name is Audrey, I'm 40 years old, married with 2 great kids and have an adorable border collie/Aussie shep. mix dog. Smile I'm an all around geek/fangirl of many sci-fi/fantasy/comic and tv shows, as well as animation nerd, costume maker, cosplayer and a furry. Big Grin And, pretty much as of a few weeks ago, an Atheist.

I regret how long it took me to get to this point, regarding religion, since I know, in my heart, I haven't really believed in a long time. I know also that the main reason for my clinging so long is my mother, who is devoutly Christian. For as long as I can remember, she was wanted to be a Nun, and is still actively seeking to become one. When I little, church was a huge part of our lives...I remember going to choir, and after school youth groups, and playing 'church' with my brothers where we'd give each other necco wafers as the host. ;P I even recall these things with fondness.

I don't recall any specific point where I stopped believing, but I do know that it was the questioning of morality that gave me doubts. How could a loving god ignore the world's pain? Why would be send good people to hell just because they didn't believe? And from there, the exact teachings of the Catholic church just fell apart. I knew the Bible wasn't real...it was pretty obvious, really. But I still wanted to hang onto god...like, a god existed, just humans had gotten it wrong in the writing of the Bible. So, for many years, I just went with my own god, making him 'better', in my head.

Still, I got married, and my husband agreed, a little grudgingly, to a catholic wedding..which was more to please my mother. I didn't care, to be honest. My husband had also grown up Catholic, but, I think at that point I would have said he was an apathetic atheist. Religion was never something we talked about, or bothered with. And then came my kids. This is the point where I could no longer just go along with whatever. I tried to hold on...I went to non-denominational churches for a few years, wanting to keep believing in something. I thought church would be good for the kids, but, I also really didn't want them to be indoctrinated into a Christian church. But, my mom guilted and harped at me, and still does, about getting them Baptized. That is a longer story which I will try and get help with later, but, basically, by that point, I was squarely stating I was agnostic.

I still didn't like saying I was an Atheist, because, I hate to admit it, I had the thought that 'atheism is a religion', and had them pegged and mean and angry. (I know better now!!) Then, a couple of months ago, I started following a couple of atheist Youtube video creators, and they made me laugh and see things in new ways, learned things I'd never known, like a better understanding of evolution. Then, about two weeks ago, I watched a video of Christopher Hitchens...I fell in love with him. Since then, I've barely left youtube! I've been devouring information as much as I can. I love the debates. I found this forum through the Thinking Atheist youtube channel. But really, I feel like I've been peering through the mist for a long time, but finally, the smoke has cleared for good. I'm very happy, and not embarrassed, or ashamed to say that I'm an Atheist now.

Tried not to make this too long, sorry! But I feel like it's been such a long road to get here.
<3

> Hi, Audrey! Welcome from Middle Earth! Smile
05-07-2017, 05:19 AM
(04-07-2017 08:35 PM)Dreamerwolf Wrote:  Thanks everyone!

Outtathereligioncloset: No, I haven't! I'll look him up. If you have any other suggestions for good videos, I'd love to know. Deterlucem was the first Youtuber that I binge-watched. Then Cosmic Skeptic, and then I went on to Hitchens, Dawkins, Seth Andrews and many other debaters.

Nice to meet you Dreamer. I rather like this forum myself, gives me easy access to funny pictures and people of like mindness to talk to. And unlike church, it's no demanded or guilt-tripped you be on here all the time.

So welcome to the forum, and I'm glad to here you are found out truths behind lies you were told.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
05-07-2017, 09:46 AM
(04-07-2017 06:35 PM)Dreamerwolf Wrote:  Hello to everyone! My name is Audrey, I'm 40 years old, married with 2 great kids and have an adorable border collie/Aussie shep. mix dog. Smile I'm an all around geek/fangirl of many sci-fi/fantasy/comic and tv shows, as well as animation nerd, costume maker, cosplayer and a furry. Big Grin And, pretty much as of a few weeks ago, an Atheist.

I regret how long it took me to get to this point, regarding religion, since I know, in my heart, I haven't really believed in a long time. I know also that the main reason for my clinging so long is my mother, who is devoutly Christian. For as long as I can remember, she was wanted to be a Nun, and is still actively seeking to become one. When I little, church was a huge part of our lives...I remember going to choir, and after school youth groups, and playing 'church' with my brothers where we'd give each other necco wafers as the host. ;P I even recall these things with fondness.

I don't recall any specific point where I stopped believing, but I do know that it was the questioning of morality that gave me doubts. How could a loving god ignore the world's pain? Why would be send good people to hell just because they didn't believe? And from there, the exact teachings of the Catholic church just fell apart. I knew the Bible wasn't real...it was pretty obvious, really. But I still wanted to hang onto god...like, a god existed, just humans had gotten it wrong in the writing of the Bible. So, for many years, I just went with my own god, making him 'better', in my head.

Still, I got married, and my husband agreed, a little grudgingly, to a catholic wedding..which was more to please my mother. I didn't care, to be honest. My husband had also grown up Catholic, but, I think at that point I would have said he was an apathetic atheist. Religion was never something we talked about, or bothered with. And then came my kids. This is the point where I could no longer just go along with whatever. I tried to hold on...I went to non-denominational churches for a few years, wanting to keep believing in something. I thought church would be good for the kids, but, I also really didn't want them to be indoctrinated into a Christian church. But, my mom guilted and harped at me, and still does, about getting them Baptized. That is a longer story which I will try and get help with later, but, basically, by that point, I was squarely stating I was agnostic.

I still didn't like saying I was an Atheist, because, I hate to admit it, I had the thought that 'atheism is a religion', and had them pegged and mean and angry. (I know better now!!) Then, a couple of months ago, I started following a couple of atheist Youtube video creators, and they made me laugh and see things in new ways, learned things I'd never known, like a better understanding of evolution. Then, about two weeks ago, I watched a video of Christopher Hitchens...I fell in love with him. Since then, I've barely left youtube! I've been devouring information as much as I can. I love the debates. I found this forum through the Thinking Atheist youtube channel. But really, I feel like I've been peering through the mist for a long time, but finally, the smoke has cleared for good. I'm very happy, and not embarrassed, or ashamed to say that I'm an Atheist now.

Tried not to make this too long, sorry! But I feel like it's been such a long road to get here.
<3

Welcome! Your story sounds very similar to mine, except I grew up in the crazy hothouse of Pentecostal fundamentalism.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
05-07-2017, 09:47 AM
Welcome aboard! Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
05-07-2017, 01:41 PM
Welcome, Dreamerwolf. Smile

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
05-07-2017, 02:22 PM
Welcome!! I'm new here myself, but so far it seems like a great place. Thumbsup

I always loved watching Eddie Izzard videos on Youtube...I love English comedy, which is a prerequisite, as he is an English comic, but he is also an atheist, and he is the first person I ever heard (back in the mid 90's, if not before) LAUGH about being an atheist, LAUGH at the beliefs of the religions- all of them, if you give him time. Smile He isn't offensive, somehow- although I'm sure the crazy religious nutbags find him so- but to me he is so matter-of-fact about the silliness of religious beliefs, and he makes examining them fun, and- to me- hilarious.

What is really odd is that you will very probably learn something about history at one of his shows.

If you have never heard him, I recommend "Dressed to Kill" on youtube.
[+] 1 user Likes Flyboy60's post
06-07-2017, 07:41 PM
Thanks everyone! I appreciate all of the warm welcomes. Smile I'm definitely looking into all of the suggestions made for videos/people to watch. If you've got any more, please let me know! I work from home and love watching videos while I do, it's been so much more interesting than listening to the same songs over the radio 10 times a day.