Proud dad

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2014, 07:56 PM
Proud dad
My second daughter made District VII Jr High Honor Choir. District VII is our little part of the state. It is our parish and the two that adjoin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like wazzel's post
04-11-2014, 08:38 PM
RE: Proud dad
Clap Grats!!! Big Grin Hug

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
04-11-2014, 08:48 PM
Cool. Tell her, good job.

But will she be able to earn a living from that? Just kidding. There's a few of here who did the choir thing. Good times.

And if you'd please excuse my ignorance, what's the age range for that kinda choir?

Cheers

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
05-11-2014, 07:40 AM
The grade range is 8th and 9th. She is in 9th. This is the first time she auditioned for an honor ensemble. She is also working on her pieces for Jr High honor band. She plays French horn.

She has no idea what she wants to do as a profession. She has expressed interest in music in some way. We will see, she has lots of time to make up her mind.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
05-11-2014, 07:45 AM
(05-11-2014 07:40 AM)wazzel Wrote:  The grade range is 8th and 9th. She is in 9th. This is the first time she auditioned for an honor ensemble. She is also working on her pieces for Jr High honor band. She plays French horn.

She has no idea what she wants to do as a profession. She has expressed interest in music in some way. We will see, she has lots of time to make up her mind.

Fair enough. But I hope she's focusing on keeping you in luxury in your dotage. Big Grin

btw, I have no idea how old 9th grade is and nor do have any idea what an 'honor ensemble' is but it sounds impressive.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
05-11-2014, 07:57 AM
(05-11-2014 07:45 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 07:40 AM)wazzel Wrote:  The grade range is 8th and 9th. She is in 9th. This is the first time she auditioned for an honor ensemble. She is also working on her pieces for Jr High honor band. She plays French horn.

Fair enough. But I hope she's focusing on keeping you in luxury in your dotage. Big Grin

btw, I have no idea how old 9th grade is and nor do have any idea what an 'honor ensemble' is but it sounds impressive.
9th grade is 14-15. My daughter is 14. An honor ensemble is a group taken from the district schools based on the performance during an audition. There is a set number of seats so to make it is a big deal since there is several times more people auditioning than the number of available seats.

I am not sure home many high schools we have in the district. I know we had 15 compete in the district marching festival. I know for sure there are a few more that are smaller schools that do not field a marching band. There are two of those in the town I live in like that and one for sure in the town just north of us.

She promised to take care of me when I am an old fart.
[+] 2 users Like wazzel's post
05-11-2014, 08:21 AM
Sorry, I'm a bit confused.. Honor band or honor choir? Is she singing or playing french horn in this particular scenario?

I mean good on her either way, I'm just curious. Big Grin

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
05-11-2014, 08:26 AM
(05-11-2014 08:21 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  Sorry, I'm a bit confused.. Honor band or honor choir? Is she singing or playing french horn in this particular scenario?

I mean good on her either way, I'm just curious. Big Grin

YesSmile

She auditioned and made the cut for the honor choir.

She is working on the audition material for honor band, it is in December. Yes she plays French horn.

She is in the band and choir. The music program works together so the kids can do both if they like. The directors work around each others rehearsal schedule. To be in the band you have to take band as a class, but choir offers the option for after school only or the class. My daughter does after school only.
05-11-2014, 09:03 AM
That's fantastic! I wish my high school had been that involved with music. Congrats to her! Smile

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
13-11-2014, 08:00 AM
More proud dad stuff. Last weekend was the state championship for high school marching bands. The school my kids go to won their division, which is based on school size and a whole bunch of other sub-categories. They finished 8th over all out of 30+ other bands and was the highest placing small band.

Here is the show if interested. One girl is in the color guard and the other is playing melophone (Marching French horn)

[+] 3 users Like wazzel's post