Proud of your Police ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Re: Proud of your Police ?
Every organization has it's 10%. I doubt anyone here has a harder job.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBlackKnight's post
20-01-2013, 02:02 AM
RE: Proud of your Police ?
(19-01-2013 08:20 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  Every organization has it's 10%. I doubt anyone here has a harder job.
I can only speak on what I've encountered personally, and it is definitely much greater than 10% in my county. Additionally their job is a joke 99.9% of the time. I've had a harder job as a dishwasher in a restaurant; obviously you have had a different experience. My grandfather worked as a police officer for the county I am speaking about for several years. He would probably agree with me were he still alive.

20-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Here in Australia I think our police do a reasonably good job.
There are occasional unfortunate shootings of innocents, along with a few tazer deaths.
Often the police have little time for negotiating, or a safer alternative.
We have strong gun control over here; that is of course another story.

The people I really admire a lot are the firies. We are having quite bad bush fires currently
and these people are real heroes. Thumbsup
20-01-2013, 04:02 PM
Well, i'm not proud of the police here.

They swarmed a party I was at on Friday. We locked ourselves in a bedroom and clambered out the window... very calmly I might add. The only reason for it I can think of is that they were somehow tipped off that there were drugs about. We had too much weed on us anyway... we HAD to get out. Tongue

[Image: opforum1.png]
20-01-2013, 04:11 PM
(20-01-2013 02:02 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(19-01-2013 08:20 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  Every organization has it's 10%. I doubt anyone here has a harder job.
Additionally their job is a joke 99.9% of the time.
That's most cops to be honest. I'm not sure where you live or what metric you are going by but TV shows and movies, plus the fact that cops are only gonna tell you the cool stories about the 1 day out of years where they actually got to full out chase someone or give some POS their 1 time lead shot for health reasons give people a warped view.

Most of the time it's responding to the same calls from the same places from the shitbags of your community and traffic stops for improper equipment that leads to more arrests for serious shit then you'll ever get for "real crimes".
20-01-2013, 04:24 PM
(20-01-2013 04:11 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  
(20-01-2013 02:02 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Additionally their job is a joke 99.9% of the time.
That's most cops to be honest. I'm not sure where you live or what metric you are going by but TV shows and movies, plus the fact that cops are only gonna tell you the cool stories about the 1 day out of years where they actually got to full out chase someone or give some POS their 1 time lead shot for health reasons give people a warped view.

Most of the time it's responding to the same calls from the same places from the shitbags of your community and traffic stops for improper equipment that leads to more arrests for serious shit then you'll ever get for "real crimes".
Then I don't know why you'd be surprised that if someone on the forum had a harder job. I'd consider it a fairly easy job.

20-01-2013, 05:58 PM
(20-01-2013 04:24 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(20-01-2013 04:11 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  That's most cops to be honest. I'm not sure where you live or what metric you are going by but TV shows and movies, plus the fact that cops are only gonna tell you the cool stories about the 1 day out of years where they actually got to full out chase someone or give some POS their 1 time lead shot for health reasons give people a warped view.

Then I don't know why you'd be surprised that if someone on the forum had a harder job. I'd consider it a fairly easy job.
Wow you really don't have a clue do you? The part bolded above is routine, that dosent mean it's easy. Cops arnt gonna tell you about the felony they found on a traffic stop who was calm as anything until they see cuffs, go from 0-200mph and you have to make sure not to use 1 pound more force then is needed while dodging elbows, bc if the guy's lawyer wants to skylight you, the news channel will play the 5 seconds of you pushing his shit in after 5 mins of running around,wrestling, getting punched in the face etc to try and getting this douche to the magistrate and go to the next call. Sound fun?

Oh lemme guess, they signed up for it.
20-01-2013, 06:45 PM
(20-01-2013 05:58 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  
(20-01-2013 04:24 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Then I don't know why you'd be surprised that if someone on the forum had a harder job. I'd consider it a fairly easy job.
Wow you really don't have a clue do you? The part bolded above is routine, that dosent mean it's easy. Cops arnt gonna tell you about the felony they found on a traffic stop who was calm as anything until they see cuffs, go from 0-200mph and you have to make sure not to use 1 pound more force then is needed while dodging elbows, bc if the guy's lawyer wants to skylight you, the news channel will play the 5 seconds of you pushing his shit in after 5 mins of running around,wrestling, getting punched in the face etc to try and getting this douche to the magistrate and go to the next call. Sound fun?

Oh lemme guess, they signed up for it.
The routine stuff is easy stuff though. Doing paperwork, giving out traffic tickets, going to court...that's normal, routine, and easy. Occassionaly they have to chase a madman or fight a drunkard or something, but overall it's an easy job. There are certain risks involved which makes it more dangerous, but I'd still call it a relatively easy job. I've done a bit of the equivalent to police in the military...various sentry duties, gate-guard, etc and I found it to be very easy. The hardest part about the job was making sure your log books stayed correct. The training for sentry duty was a little rough, but that was about it. Firefighting on the other hand I've had extensive experience in...that is a tough job. A lot of heat, a lot of weight, a lot of work, and confusion.

20-01-2013, 06:50 PM
The problem is that people over-generalize when things like this happen. The news is full of police officers acting inappropriately, and suddenly every 17-year-old on the internet starts shouting "Fuck tha police!" The thing is, not all police officers abuse their power. Not all police officers are the cliche "highschool jock who joined the police academy at 19 and now bullies people on the streets". As much of a cynic as I am, even I have to admit that many police officers are genuinely trying to help people and do good in their respective communities.

Personally, I've never had anything but good experiences with cops (thus far, anyway). When I was 18, I was late for work and decided to be a dumbass by speeding 30 miles over the limit. I of course got pulled over, and while she could have (and legally should have) arrested me for reckless driving, she decided to knock the speed down to just 19 miles over the limit, when earned me a ticket but spared me jailtime. On a second occasion, about a year later, I was carrying a gun on my hip when I wasn't legally allowed to (I honestly thought I was). I went through a police checkpoint, and once again, while the trooper legally should have taken me in for illegal possession of a firearm, he realized that I genuinely didn't realize I had done anything illegal, and he called my dad to collect the firearm and sent me on my way. I've had numerous other encounters with police, but only because I've stopped at accident scenes and such. They've always been quite courteous to me. Even prompted me to look into joining the police department myself.

There are fuck-heads out there, sure, but there are also plenty of teachers who molest their students. Doesn't mean we should demonize all teachers as a result.

I think the reason people tend to be more harsh when it comes to police is that they're a symbol of authority. Teachers educate, so nobody comes down on education in general when a kid gets molested. But police officers are guys (and gals) who can get you in trouble. They're mom and dad waiting to punish you if you do something wrong. What's more, some of them are mom and dad who try to punish you for no good reason. Our inner child resents this, so people start to generalize when it comes to police. It's not exactly rational.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-01-2013, 08:37 PM
Good intentions or not, the police are compelled to point guns at, kidnap and/or shoot peaceful individuals who violate the opinions of other people. To wit: In a post above it was mentioned that peaceful individuals had to lock themselves in a bedroom and then escape out a window in order to avoid being kidnapped and thrown in a cage because they happened to have the wrong sort of vegetation on their person.

This is not protecting and serving the public. It is protecting and serving the interests of the ruling classes. Among them are the sociopathic politicians who write these abhorrent rules and the weapons manufacturers who profit from selling police departments military style weaponry. The end result of this war on drugs is that millions of families have been destroyed to feed the prison industrial complex, provide arrogant judges and prosecutors with non-violent perpetrators of victimless crimes with whom to boost their careers and to placate the religious right with the lie that society is somehow being protected by imprisoning a larger percentage of US citizens than the worst conceivable despot ever thought of imprisoning. There is no such thing as a war on drugs, there is only war on people.

Likewise with the myriad other victimless crimes these people swear to uphold... including but not limited to the exchange of sex for money, the selling and consumption of raw food products, the selling of professional decorating services, the selling of prepared food from mobile catering vehicles, and countless other voluntary economic interactions undertaken peacefully and consensually between adults. These people also agree to kidnap, cage and/or shoot to death peaceful individuals who refuse to fund any number of the various wars on people and other destructive programs the state chooses to undertake.

So no, I'm not proud. I'm ashamed.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user