Proverbs 31 Woman

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2015, 07:20 AM
RE: Proverbs 31 Woman
In one of the videos she mentions being abused by her first husband.

I'm very familiar with this style and with the message. She's advocating that wives not be a doormat within a Christian world view. Good for her for breaking free from an abusive relationship and moving on and finding happiness. Yes, there's some cognitive dissonance there, indoctrination is a bitch.

I'd much rather hear the current trend towards women encouraged to be strong. Women will absorb that message - maybe it will give them strength not to accept abuse. Maybe for others they'll open their bibles, read the misogynistic passages and the contradictory nature, say "WTF is this shit?!" and walk away free.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
01-10-2015, 07:59 AM
RE: Proverbs 31 Woman
(01-10-2015 07:20 AM)Nurse Wrote:  In one of the videos she mentions being abused by her first husband.

I'm very familiar with this style and with the message. She's advocating that wives not be a doormat within a Christian world view. Good for her for breaking free from an abusive relationship and moving on and finding happiness. Yes, there's some cognitive dissonance there, indoctrination is a bitch.

I'd much rather hear the current trend towards women encouraged to be strong. Women will absorb that message - maybe it will give them strength not to accept abuse. Maybe for others they'll open their bibles, read the misogynistic passages and the contradictory nature, say "WTF is this shit?!" and walk away free.

No one deserves to be abused and I do feel bad that she went through that with her first husband. In a sense, she is still being abused (although perhaps doesn't realize it) by going down the path of submissive wife. I agree with you though, it's much better if women are going to go the Proverbs 31 route, that they view it as being a "strong" wife as opposed to a "weak" wife.

In her other videos (and in the promo for her tv show) she is clearly submissive and I am not sure how she thinks she is being strong by letting her husband call all the shots?

To me the church likes to tell women it's a strong passage when in reality it is anything but. Sure, the woman is strong in her household duties, caring for her husband and her children--and I am sure that does take a lot of strength. But that is really where her "strength" ends. Yes, she is allowed to purchase items and even property--but needs to "check" with her husband first. The passage also stresses "serving" her husband and others. I just remember Candace Cameron Bure saying something like "Yes, I'm a submissive wife and it's meek and not weak!" This to me is just more church brainwashing by changing out one word for another so that women will find the role of submissive wife more desirable--when in reality, their role is still that of a submissive woman.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post