Proxima Centauri Has a Terrestrial Planet

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2016, 10:46 PM
RE: Proxima Centauri Has a Terrestrial Planet
At work.

I agree. We should be trying to get the same sort of hype going for a probe being sent as Kennedy generated in the race for the Moon.

BECAUSE.

The infrastructure to make such a probe would thence be turned to building craft to explore the rest of our system.

Any drive able to get their within a 'Reasonable' time would move craft around our system quite well.

Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Peebothuhul's post
24-08-2016, 10:48 PM
And all those efforts to get to Alpha or Beta Centauri were sent instead.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
25-08-2016, 05:26 AM
(24-08-2016 10:03 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Ohmygosh Iamsoexcited!!!

Seriously, this is awesome news. Exoplanets are cool, but if they're all too far away to even potentially reach in my lifetime... meh. But this changes everything; even if it's not habitable, it's worth exploring. Oh, what a thing to hear before I die, the first reports coming back from the arriving probe, the first images of a planet around another star.

If only Asimov and Heinlein could have lived to see that day.

What you said! Thumbsup

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
25-08-2016, 06:07 AM
I love that they found a planet this close to us.

But instead of sending probes out there (which even if we could make them fast enough to get there in 20 years) will still take a further 4.2 years to get any data back, we should build a large array of space telescopes in solar orbit big enough to view the surface. Then at least I'll be able to see it before I die.

Also...technically it's not a "terrestrial" planet, terrestrial refers specifically to the earth. I did a search for "earth-like" planet and got "sicut in terra" or "analog terram" (earth analog). Consider

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
25-08-2016, 06:56 AM
Ehem,

sorry if i have to spoil all the fun here, but...
sending a probe to Alpha Centauri with our current propulsion technology will take thousands of years, and then at least 4y back to transmit the data.

This is just as relevant as discovering an expolanet 100LJ away.

It however shows us how probable it may be that there are in fact lots of habitable planets in the universe and maybe civilisations, if only the closest system to ours already has one. This is the much bigger impact on us imho.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
25-08-2016, 07:25 AM
(25-08-2016 06:56 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Ehem,

sending a probe to Alpha Centauri with our current propulsion technology will take thousands of years, and then at least 4y back to transmit the data.

It however shows us how probable it may be that there are in fact lots of habitable planets in the universe and maybe civilisations, if only the closest system to ours already has one. This is the much bigger impact on us imho.

The key phrase there is with our current propulsion technology. There are several ideas on the drawing board for higher velocity propulsion, some going back decades but not really feasible until the recent advent (or near-advent) of better electronics, materials, and manufacturing techniques.

In the year of my birth, 1976, one could easily have predicted that the communicators in Star Trek would never be a reality; now, they are laughably simple technology, and communication with/via satellites is as routine as hitting the "on" button.

Who knows where technology will be in ten years, especially now that we have a goal in sight? Imagine if (as already suggested) the President declared such a project a national or international priority, akin to the Apollo project.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
25-08-2016, 10:00 AM (This post was last modified: 25-08-2016 10:39 AM by Deesse23.)
(25-08-2016 07:25 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  

The key phrase there is with our current propulsion technology. There are several ideas on the drawing board for higher velocity propulsion, some going back decades but not really feasible until the recent advent (or near-advent) of better electronics, materials, and manufacturing techniques.

In the year of my birth, 1976, one could easily have predicted that the communicators in Star Trek would never be a reality; now, they are laughably simple technology, and communication with/via satellites is as routine as hitting the "on" button.

Who knows where technology will be in ten years, especially now that we have a goal in sight? Imagine if (as already suggested) the President declared such a project a national or international priority, akin to the Apollo project.

I agree with you on every point, particularly on what can be done once a strong incentive is there (Mercury-Gemini-Apollo). Thumbsup
I am just a bit more sceptical as to what fractions of c we are going to achieve in what timeframe from now on.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
25-08-2016, 10:27 AM
(24-08-2016 03:57 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

Who's up for building an old "Boom! Boom!" Nuclear pulse Orion?

A million ton or so ship should have both the 'Oomph!' to get up and go plus the space to stretch out and relax on the way.

Tongue

Thumbsup

Edit: Also.... look up "Valkyrei" the actual hypothetical ship work which was thence depicted in 'Avatar' the movie.

Thumbsup

I believe he idea comes from Jerry Pournelle's science fiction to begin with.
25-08-2016, 11:22 AM
Here's a recent, and plausible proposal for sending a probe to the Alpha Centauri system:

Is the New $100 Million 'Starshot' for Real?

This entails building a 100 Gigawatt ground-based laser to propel a tiny postage stamp-sized spacecraft to 20% the speed of light in just a few days!

So this could get to Proxima Centauri in less than 20 years, but there is a lot of engineering and very expensive hardware to build before we even attempt this.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
25-08-2016, 11:48 AM

It however shows us how probable it may be that there are in fact lots of habitable planets in the universe and maybe civilizations, if only the closest system to ours already has one. This is the much bigger impact on us imho.

As RocketSurgeon76 said. Though I'd add that with 1960's tech a big enough 'Boom, boom" Orion would get there in possibly 80 years. (With no slow down after half way) THEN 4.5 years for transmission back.

Tongue