Proxima Centauri Has a Terrestrial Planet

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2016, 04:29 PM
RE: Proxima Centauri Has a Terrestrial Planet
(25-08-2016 02:03 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(25-08-2016 12:52 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Yep, Footfall. Niven and Pournelle, please.

Ah! *Nods* Though Niven and Pournell are 'borrowing' real science. Look up the TED talk with Dyson's Son about Orion.

Thumbsup

Looked up the science on that book when I was at Purdue. Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2016, 04:31 PM
(25-08-2016 03:14 PM)unsapien Wrote:  
(25-08-2016 12:51 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Remember that Venus is a terrestrial planet.

No it isn't, at best it's an intersolar planet.

I can't find a definition that sounds like what you might be saying for "intersolar". A little help?
25-08-2016, 05:04 PM
He's using "terrestrial planet" in the colloquial sense, to mean "earth analogous" planet. If we were looking at our solar system from Proxima Centauri, with our current tech, we wouldn't be able to tell which of the two (Earth and Venus) was habitable, only that they're both within a zone of size and distance from the star which could render both/either habitable.

If we take a shot at a planet this is in the range earth is in, and we arrive to find a Mars or Venus (more likely the latter, given that this planet we've found seems to be larger than earth), it would be the death of the colonists.

That's why we want to send probes and wait for the return data.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
25-08-2016, 10:20 PM
(25-08-2016 03:14 PM)unsapien Wrote:  
(25-08-2016 12:51 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Remember that Venus is a terrestrial planet.

No it isn't, at best it's an intersolar planet.

Astronomers use the terms "terrestrial planet" and "gas giant" (or "Jovian planet") to identify the two broad classes of planets.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
25-08-2016, 10:36 PM
(25-08-2016 10:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-08-2016 03:14 PM)unsapien Wrote:  No it isn't, at best it's an intersolar planet.

Astronomers use the terms "terrestrial planet" and "gas giant" (or "Jovian planet") to identify the two broad classes of planets.

That's what I was thinking.
Terrestrial planet refers to a rocky, Earth-like planet.
26-08-2016, 02:44 AM
Why I think Scott Manly is amazing. Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
26-08-2016, 05:46 AM
(25-08-2016 04:31 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(25-08-2016 03:14 PM)unsapien Wrote:  No it isn't, at best it's an intersolar planet.

I can't find a definition that sounds like what you might be saying for "intersolar". A little help?

Ok (you got me) technically "intersolar" or "intrasolar" aren't real words according to the dictionary but as we begin traveling out of our solar system we are going to start needing words like these which mean (even if just to me) planets that orbit the same star, Proxima b would be "interproximacentauri" or "intrapromixacentauri" or something like that.

I just meant that the only thing that Earth & Venus share in common is that they orbit the same star.

Venus is to Earth as Chimpanzee is to Human, sort of close in a way...but not really.

In our solar system I would consider the moon Europa to be the most terrestrial, liquid water being most important thing on my check list.

If we are going to spend hundreds of billions of dollars on a probe to another star system we're going to need to know it's worth the trip before we send it.

Hence the need for a large array of telescopes capable of determining surface temperature, atmospheric composition...etc. If Proxima b turns out to be another Mars or Venus then we can look at the next closest candidate and onwards, then send the probe.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
26-08-2016, 06:01 AM
(25-08-2016 11:48 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(25-08-2016 06:56 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Ehem,

sorry if i have to spoil all the fun here, but...
sending a probe to Alpha Centauri with our current propulsion technology will take thousands of years, and then at least 4y back to transmit the data.

This is just as relevant as discovering an expolanet 100LJ away.

It however shows us how probable it may be that there are in fact lots of habitable planets in the universe and maybe civilizations, if only the closest system to ours already has one. This is the much bigger impact on us imho.

As RocketSurgeon76 said. Though I'd add that with 1960's tech a big enough 'Boom, boom" Orion would get there in possibly 80 years. (With no slow down after half way) THEN 4.5 years for transmission back.

Tongue

We should still get to learn a great deal about interstellar. Even if we die before eventual arrival. Maybe even the occasional rogue planet Smile

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
28-08-2016, 12:07 AM
Tongue RE: Proxima Centauri Has a Terrestrial Planet
(24-08-2016 12:20 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Only about a thousand years from here using currently available technology. Who's up for a road trip.

We could send a ship now which we could overtake with a newer ship and then a newer ship. It might not take that long. Think about it. With time dilation, assuming we could get a ship up to a sizable fraction of the speed of light, they might only be a couple weeks into the journey when something like the star ship enterprise pulls up and beams them all aboard for the 2 day trip at warp 2. Wink

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
28-08-2016, 04:18 AM
(28-08-2016 12:07 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(24-08-2016 12:20 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Only about a thousand years from here using currently available technology. Who's up for a road trip.

We could send a ship now which we could overtake with a newer ship and then a newer ship. It might not take that long. Think about it. With time dilation, assuming we could get a ship up to a sizable fraction of the speed of light, they might only be a couple weeks into the journey when something like the star ship enterprise pulls up and beams them all aboard for the 2 day trip at warp 2. Wink

[startreknerd]
Technically, Warp 2 would be eight times the speed of light, resulting in roughly a six-month journey.
[/startreknerd]

But we get your point.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post