Psychic Mediums

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Lightbulb Psychic Mediums
Hi from South Africa, a very very very religious country. Oh brother don't get me started! Most locals are at least willing to listen and not be (too) judgmental/defensive.

But a fat fly in the ointment goes by the name of John Edward who is in my country at the moment selling his snake oils to a awe struck populace. Eish!

There must be ways to debunk this deuce-bag for the lyer he is!

ps. Urban Dictionary - populace
Term used instaed of "ignorant masses" basicly stands for 99.9% of the worlds population. quite fun to utter under your breath.
the populace really pisses me off Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Neels's post
20-10-2011, 08:27 PM
RE: Psychic Mediums
Welcome to the forum Neels, glad to have you here. I know very little but what I see on tv of your country. What I see doesn't sound that great, to be honest so what can you tell me about the place that will brighten my outlook?
One thing I see that seems pretty awesome is the landscape is just incredible looking.
I also know that pretty much nothing on tv should be taken at face value, because it is a medium built on lies and distortion, but behind every lie or half truth there is something to be learned.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
21-10-2011, 06:34 AM
When people are insecure and anxious, they always turn to magic. Church or witches, gurus or psychics, faith healers or ju-ju men.
Psychics are big in North America, too. By phone or internet or private session, people are spending incredible amounts of money to have their fortunes invented, to be given bogus advice.... to be reassured that somebody or something is in control and the world is an orderly, predictable place.
Nobody can convince them to trade wishful thinking for realism - reality is just too scary.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
21-10-2011, 07:40 AM
Thanks lucradis, glad to be here. Already got the T-shirts lol!
South Africa is great, love it to bits. Don't care much for the ruling party though, bunch of a-class a-holes. We're losing Mandela's legacy very fast. But it could have been worse I guess. Enough good people around to make this country great.

(20-10-2011 08:27 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I also know that pretty much nothing on tv should be taken at face value, because it is a medium built on lies and distortion, but behind every lie or half truth there is something to be learned.

Yip, you're right. I'm a video editor and know very well how a program like Edwards are put together. Time manipulation, a quick reaction shot etc.
Cool Anyone who believe what they see should have their eyes examined Rolleyes
[+] 1 user Likes Neels's post
21-10-2011, 08:57 AM (This post was last modified: 22-10-2011 09:57 AM by kim.)
Hi Neels - South Africa looks beautiful! Hope to get there one day. Smile

I've seen this John Edward guy - he's a slick one. I think he used to have his own TV show in the US. I'm always updated on these thieves by a friend who continually falls for them and their antics. It's difficult to convince people they are a victim of fraud.
Sadly, a hawk knows his prey better than anyone. Undecided

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
21-10-2011, 09:04 AM (This post was last modified: 21-10-2011 09:33 AM by morondog.)
You need to generate a total shit-storm if you want to take him down.

It's been done before. I'm sure lots of people on the forum have read Bad science and the take down of 'Dr' Gillian McKeith. She got nailed 'cos she was high high profile and she was running around with a fake Phd. The papers *loved* that. If you can get the same to happen to him... I personally think he's too clever for that though.

James Randi (cool guy) has exposed a few of these types of guys - one I remember in particular was a televangelist who used an earpiece - hardly difficult - to appear to be getting instructions from God about people's sicknesses. That's the kind of thing you're looking for. The problem with arguing against cold reading is that it's quite a hard thing to understand (at least for me). To someone who's not thinking about it it looks very much like the real deal and to understand how they do it takes effort. Compared to an ear-piece it's a very nebulous thing. With the ear-piece the news guys could say 'aha, we've definitely caught this guy cheating' and it's clear that it was *deliberate* cheating too, i.e. that he's a crook and a liar.

Unless John Edwards is doing something like that, where he can really get caught out - then ja, I think you won't have the right story and you'll just have to let him do his thing...
Have a read of this:

https://www.johnedward.net/content/how-d...television

Wow. He really comes across as intelligent and interesting. I even went to look at infinitequest.com but he's a bright boy, you need a code to get in Smile

The thing that I notice about this is that he sounds very much like an atheist would sound debating religion or something like that. He deliberately comes across as a skeptic kind of guy, just to the normal skepticism he adds:
Ghosts are real
There is another side
and a bunch more such twaddle...

but the tone and delivery are *flawless*, absolutely flawless. He doesn't state these as things that can be argued about, he weaves it into his performance. He makes no statement which could be taken as critical of another psychic - merely mentions that his particular brand of hocus pocus doesn't quite fit with the movie or whatever. He's also careful to draw a distinction between the movies and 'real' life - everyone knows movies are exaggerated caricatures, what he's doing is pushing the idea that ghost movies are caricatures of *real life*, but he does it so casually, not really making an outright brutal statement which might open a debate, just talking about it as if it's something that everyone knows about really.

He's a marketing genius.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
21-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Hi Kim!
You will love it in South Africa. Amazing experience to be in the Bushveld and get close to an Elephant or Lion. Your $$ will take ya far Wink

I found an interesting site about Edwardass - John Edward: Hustling the Bereaved -
http://www.csicop.org/si/show/john_edwar..._bereaved/
[+] 2 users Like Neels's post
22-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Christians used to burn witches at the stake. As a witch, I can tell you this - they got that part right. I actually never heard of this cat, but just from reading this OP; you toss him into the pit and don't bat an eye. Exploitation of the weak is a moral wrong - and people in need are weak. It may sound harsh, but these types get debunked one place, they just go somewhere else.

Witchcraft exists, and is largely beneficial in nature. Plenty of witches in the world, keeping a low profile, doing their bit at the local level to make the world a better place. I'm working on a scientific explanation of witchcraft involving simulation and electromagnetic communication - just waiting for the experts in the field of neuroscience and evolutionary biology to catch up to this witch - and if it is what I think it is, there ain't gonna be no more "psychic mediums."

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
23-10-2011, 05:07 AM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2011 05:28 AM by Neels.)
(21-10-2011 09:04 AM)morondog Wrote:  James Randi (cool guy) has exposed a few of these types of guys

Just watched the TED talk given by JR http://www.ted.com/talks/james_randi
Refreshing to see someone like him who thinks so rational, who doesn't believe in all this hocus-pocus supernatural crap.

It just makes me so angry to think this bastard of a John Edwards has one of the most watched programs in South African TV. A lying charlatan, spewing rubbish in every episode. He even appears on actuality programs and talk shows. Fokken hond!

To think James Randi's organization wants to give away $1million to a meduim who can prove they are for real. Not one professional psychic came forward or even tried. Sick.
WTF! Do you know you're on a Forum for people who try their best to think rational?
People who don't believe in the supernatural?
People who don't believe in ghosts and magical powers?
People who don't believe in boiling a concoction to able to put a spell on someone?
People who don't rub magic potion onto their genitals to make it work better? (we'll maybe a few.)

Why would you talk about being a witch, wtf! That's far from rational talk dude.
Do you know what a Sangoma is?
We'll, you get good ones and bad ones. The good ones work with nature, they use mind expanding drugs - a friend of mine is a White Sangoma. But even she believes in the spiritual world and have weird ideas of the afterlife and fore-father spirits. Weird is maybe not the right word.

Then you have the bad Sangoma - or Witchdoctors. They kill children for their body parts. Human flesh makes for strong potions - they believe. Just recently a young black couple was 'harvested" for their body parts. And off course the Muti is stronger if your victim is still alive when you take it.

So again WTF! Do you even know what it means to be a witch? Do you know the strong ties it has with Devil worship? Fuck man, we are trying our utmost to get away from these ancient bull-shit but people like you drag it back onto our mids with it is like this but we are more like that. Shit smells the same no matter how you phrase it!

(22-10-2011 08:00 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Witchcraft exists, and is largely beneficial in nature. Plenty of witches in the world, keeping a low profile, doing their bit at the local level to make the world a better place. I'm working on a scientific explanation of witchcraft involving simulation and electromagnetic communication - just waiting for the experts in the field of neuroscience and evolutionary biology to catch up to this witch - and if it is what I think it is, there ain't gonna be no more "psychic mediums."
23-10-2011, 12:23 PM
(23-10-2011 05:07 AM)Neels Wrote:  So again WTF! Do you even know what it means to be a witch? Do you know the strong ties it has with Devil worship? Fuck man, we are trying our utmost to get away from these ancient bull-shit but people like you drag it back onto our mids with it is like this but we are more like that. Shit smells the same no matter how you phrase it!

Ease up there, killer. I only mention the witchcraft because if Edwards has some skill in this area, one is not going to be able to debunk him so easily. There are no ties to devil worship - that's crazy talk. I'm talking about science, but if you don't want to hear this kind of talk, then it's over. No reason to get worked up.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]