Psychology and Cognitive Neuroscience

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2011, 02:40 AM
Psychology and Cognitive Neuroscience
Hello fellow atheists! Here are some things to think about, and some of you may already know these things. Nevertheless, it's interesting.

I wrote this to a christian and put it on my facebook- probably not the best idea, but I got sick of being told that I was going to hell. I was also told to fuck off and all sorts of rediculous things, so I replied with this:

Our nervous system is a biochemical structure, not a vessel for a spirit.

The experience of god is probably nothing more than a small group of brain-cells in your right temporal lobe undergoing a process of stimulation.

If you have had a near death experience where you traveled down a tunnel toward a bright light, I have good news for you: When blood and oxygen flow is depleted to the eye, you can experience seeing your life flash before your eyes and a light at the end of the tunnel; which also can occur during severely stressful situations or actual near-death situations.

Perfectly important, when you Think that you have experienced a departure to another reality, your almost certainly experiencing abnormal functioning of the neurotransmitter dopamine which can evoke hallucinations.

There is a neurological and psychological explanation for why you feel what you feel and why you believe what you believe.

The probability of the existence of an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, and benevolent Deity is slim to none. Welcome to Reality! Smile

Cheers to RealityWink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like FreeAtheism's post
25-09-2011, 04:36 AM

RE: Psychology and Cognitive Neuroscience
(25-09-2011 02:40 AM)FreeAtheism Wrote:  Hello fellow atheists! Here are some things to think about, and some of you may already know these things. Nevertheless, it's interesting.

I find neuroscience fascinating. I recently read "Brain That Changes Itself" - By Norman Doidge and was amazed by his explanation of brain plasticity.

I have always been a believer in cause-and-effect chains and long suspected that many of our cherished psychological reactions are determined by neurological processes in the brain.

Would not be surprised if religious beliefs could be pin-pointed in some lobe or other. Isn't it just marvelous? We are both the observers and the observed. Our minds are are corridor lined with mirrors on both sides, just like Douglas R. Hofstadter described it in his book: "I Am a Strange Loop".

Fascinating!
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
25-09-2011, 11:01 PM
(25-09-2011 04:36 AM)Zatamon Wrote:  
(25-09-2011 02:40 AM)FreeAtheism Wrote:  Hello fellow atheists! Here are some things to think about, and some of you may already know these things. Nevertheless, it's interesting.

I find neuroscience fascinating. I recently read "Brain That Changes Itself" - By Norman Doidge and was amazed by his explanation of brain plasticity.

I have always been a believer in cause-and-effect chains and long suspected that many of our cherished psychological reactions are determined by neurological processes in the brain.

Would not be surprised if religious beliefs could be pin-pointed in some lobe or other. Isn't it just marvelous? We are both the observers and the observed. Our minds are are corridor lined with mirrors on both sides, just like Douglas R. Hofstadter described it in his book: "I Am a Strange Loop".

Fascinating!

Yes, it is absolutely amazing! As I mentioned earlier, the god experience is probably nothing more that your right temporal lobe undergoing a heavy process of stimulation.

This is an interesting video about the God experience which can now be simulated in a scientific lab:

If you would like me to send you a PM about some other studies inNeurotheology, just let me know.

Also, the American Psychological Association released, "The Varieties of Anomalous Experiences" in 2008, which describes experiences from mystical, religious, all the way up to alien encounters. The human mind is interesting and it provides a compelling arguement on how and why we experience these experiences.

Take care
[+] 1 user Likes FreeAtheism's post
26-09-2011, 08:14 AM

(25-09-2011 11:01 PM)FreeAtheism Wrote:  Yes, it is absolutely amazing! As I mentioned earlier, the god experience is probably nothing more that your right temporal lobe undergoing a heavy process of stimulation.

Awesome video -- but not surprising. If min-altering drugs can create false experiences and hallucinations, why not going directly to the brain?

Quote:If you would like me to send you a PM about some other studies inNeurotheology, just let me know.

Why not post some here? Others might be interested. Keep it on the layman level, for me at least, I am quite ignorant in the science.

Sad
26-09-2011, 03:14 PM
(26-09-2011 08:14 AM)Zatamon Wrote:  
(25-09-2011 11:01 PM)FreeAtheism Wrote:  Yes, it is absolutely amazing! As I mentioned earlier, the god experience is probably nothing more that your right temporal lobe undergoing a heavy process of stimulation.

Awesome video -- but not surprising. If min-altering drugs can create false experiences and hallucinations, why not going directly to the brain?

Quote:If you would like me to send you a PM about some other studies inNeurotheology, just let me know.

Why not post some here? Others might be interested. Keep it on the layman level, for me at least, I am quite ignorant in the science.

Sad

Well, your right on that one hahaha. Here is an interesting documentary:

Notice how they all explain the White Light
26-09-2011, 03:50 PM

FreeAtheism, I watched the video (most of it) and I had several problems with it.

First of all, the quality was quite poor -- I have difficulty understanding the text.

Second, it kept jumping from one mid-sentence to another.

Third, the visuals were both confusing and unnecessary.

Just give me the facts, give me the description and the results of the experiments, but don't try to dazzle me with the visuals.

Sorry, but I think this was done mostly for entertainment rather than serious discussion.

Sad
26-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Quote:Just give me the facts, give me the description and the results of the experiments, but don't try to dazzle me with the visuals.

Sorry, but I think this was done mostly for entertainment rather than serious discussion.

Sad

It was to show how common traveling toward a white light is during Near-death experience and now that they have scientific explanations for this, I thought it would be interesting to watch. Even though it has horrible quality.

I will focus more on my original Thread instead of videos from now on.

[/quote]
26-09-2011, 05:40 PM

(26-09-2011 05:20 PM)FreeAtheism Wrote:  It was to show how common traveling toward a white light is during Near-death experience and now that they have scientific explanations for this, I thought it would be interesting to watch. Even though it has horrible quality.

I will focus more on my original Thread instead of videos from now on.

Sorry for not being appreciative -- I do find the topic fascinating and I would like to get past the entertainment level to the next one where I get more information. Something like the books I mentioned in my first post. Results of serious research, explained to laymen who can actually follow the discussion and have a long enough attention span to take it all in.

Smile
27-10-2011, 06:47 PM
(25-09-2011 02:40 AM)FreeAtheism Wrote:  There is a neurological and psychological explanation for why you feel what you feel and why you believe what you believe.

I like what you wrote, and I subscribe to that belief as well. Probably not in the best form to put it on the facebooks, though, I feel what you are saying about the hypocrites who tell you that you're going to hell. That's real sweet of 'em.
28-10-2011, 04:08 AM
neuroscience is a bitch but the goverment needs people skilled in that field so I find myself learning about it's deep complexities which is usualy followed by long hours of sitting alone in the dark by myself. There is some really freaky things to be learned in that field. Life altering, sanity destroying, happy fun time making things.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post