Psychology of guns

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2015, 08:36 AM
Psychology of guns
Interesting article about the psychology of guns.

"Over the years, Bushman explains, dozens of studies have confirmed what researchers dub the "weapons effect": People act more aggressively in the presence of a weapon, especially when something angers them."

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015...ring-minds
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
26-10-2015, 09:03 AM
RE: Psychology of guns
Should be retitled The Psychology of a Gun Nut. Wink
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
26-10-2015, 10:21 AM
I have a friend who's quite fond of their few weapons.

I have yet to see them act "...Act more aggressively in the presence of a weapon."

That being said, I also highly doubt they would even be bothered to investigate their weapons when emotionally excited/angered....
26-10-2015, 11:04 AM
We're surprised when people who hold anti-gun attitudes have studies that come up with results skewed against firearms????

Next we'll be surprised to find out that water is wet, and starving people prefer food to fiberglass insulation.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
26-10-2015, 12:52 PM
I can see in some instances arguments could get out of hand and end in a horrible outcome if someone has access to a weapon. But that "weapon" could be anything from a car to a knife to smashing someone's face in with their own fists. If someone is angered to the point of physically harming another person--they will find a way to do it--whether a gun is involved or not.

I can understand the aversion some people have to guns--especially in light of recent events. But at the same time, I believe in being able to protect myself. I have had so many *potentially* dangerous situations happen to me just being a woman walking around in society--never mind the fact that I often go hiking by myself and have come across a group of men on the trails. I have heard so many stories of women being attacked and raped in various situations. I want to be able to protect myself and that is why I believe in guns and self-defense courses. I don't want to have to rely on a man to protect me--I want to be able to protect myself, imo owning a gun is a part of that.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
26-10-2015, 12:59 PM
(26-10-2015 11:04 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  We're surprised when people who hold anti-gun attitudes have studies that come up with results skewed against firearms????

Color me equally not surprised when people who are pro-gun chose to ignore said results assuming investigator bias.
[+] 3 users Like Mr. Boston's post
26-10-2015, 01:01 PM
(26-10-2015 12:59 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 11:04 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  We're surprised when people who hold anti-gun attitudes have studies that come up with results skewed against firearms????

Color me equally not surprised when people who are pro-gun chose to ignore said results assuming investigator bias.

Yup... There is one difference though.. Those people that tend to be the most anti-gun are also the ones that have the least actual knowledge of firearms.

People that are pro-gun are generally very well versed in the safe use of firearms.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
26-10-2015, 02:29 PM
(26-10-2015 01:01 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 12:59 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Color me equally not surprised when people who are pro-gun chose to ignore said results assuming investigator bias.

Yup... There is one difference though.. Those people that tend to be the most anti-gun are also the ones that have the least actual knowledge of firearms.

People that are pro-gun are generally very well versed in the safe use of firearms.

I don't think that your first point is true in places outside the USA. In places other than America, there's a big difference between being "pro-gun" and "pro-handgun-for-personal-protection"

There are many very competent, gun-safe hunters in Canada who are quite knowledgeable about weapons but don't think of their hunting rifles as a weapon for personal protection (except from bears). I think that such attitudes towards firearms are much more culturally specific than you may realize.

As a former Canadian army engineering officer and range safety officer, who has studied and fired weapons of pretty much every calibre, I would never consider carrying a firearm for personal protection in any area of any major metropolitan centre in Canada. So that would make me a gun-knowledgeable, "anti-handgun-for-"personal-protection" person. And I don't know of anyone who feels differently, among all my middle-aged army and hunter friends and acquaintances, be they politically liberal or conservative.

My son recently obtained his firearms license because his girlfriend and her family are avid hunters. He too would never consider obtaining a non-hunting-related firearm. And neither would his friends. Yet all are first-person-shooter video game players, Call-of-Duty fans, and paintball aficionados.

My father-in-law is the most bad-ass 70 year-old you ever met, goes deer and moose hunting yearly, regularly supplemented his family's diet with game meats, still hunts deer with a crossbow, subscribes to "chasse et pêche" (a hunting and fishing magazine) and yet would never consider owning a handgun for self-protection, even though he lives in Montreal.

Now maybe that's because Canada has much stricter laws concerning firearms, and handguns in particular, but there is no significant movement to change this aspect of our culture. Rather, there is pressure to stop the illegal flow of handguns from the US.

At least in Canada, (and probably in Europe) there is A HUGE difference in attitude towards owning a firearm for hunting and owning a firearm for self-defence: the idea of owning a firearm for self-defence just doesn't enter into the equation for "ordinary" people in Canada and Europe, regardless of whether they live in urban or rural areas. (By "ordinary" I mean those not involved in gangs and/or organized crime).

IMO, the real question here is: What are you (individual Americans) afraid of?
Now ask yourself: Why are you afraid of this?

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 6 users Like Reducetarian's post
26-10-2015, 02:41 PM
(26-10-2015 02:29 PM)Reducetarian Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 01:01 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yup... There is one difference though.. Those people that tend to be the most anti-gun are also the ones that have the least actual knowledge of firearms.

I don't think that your first point is true in places outside the USA. In places other than America, there's a big difference between being "pro-gun" and "pro-handgun-for-personal-protection"

There are many very competent, gun-safe hunters in Canada who are quite knowledgeable about weapons but don't think of their hunting rifles as a weapon for personal protection (except from bears). I think that such attitudes towards firearms are much more culturally specific than you may realize.

As a former Canadian army engineering officer and range safety officer, who has studied and fired weapons of pretty much every calibre, I would never consider carrying a firearm for personal protection in any area of any major metropolitan centre in Canada. So that would make me a gun-knowledgeable, "anti-handgun-for-"personal-protection" person. And I don't know of anyone who feels differently, among all my middle-aged army and hunter friends and acquaintances, be they politically liberal or conservative.

My son recently obtained his firearms license because his girlfriend and her family are avid hunters. He too would never consider obtaining a non-hunting-related firearm. And neither would his friends. Yet all are first-person-shooter video game players, Call-of-Duty fans, and paintball aficionados.

My father-in-law is the most bad-ass 70 year-old you ever met, goes deer and moose hunting yearly, regularly supplemented his family's diet with game meats, still hunts deer with a crossbow, subscribes to "chasse et pêche" (a hunting and fishing magazine) and yet would never consider owning a handgun for self-protection, even though he lives in Montreal.

Now maybe that's because Canada has much stricter laws concerning firearms, and handguns in particular, but there is no significant movement to change this aspect of our culture. Rather, there is pressure to stop the illegal flow of handguns from the US.

At least in Canada, (and probably in Europe) there is A HUGE difference in attitude towards owning a firearm for hunting and owning a firearm for self-defence: the idea of owning a firearm for self-defence just doesn't enter into the equation for "ordinary" people in Canada and Europe, regardless of whether they live in urban or rural areas. (By "ordinary" I mean those not involved in gangs and/or organized crime).

IMO, the real question here is: What are you (individual Americans) afraid of?
Now ask yourself: Why are you afraid of this?

I'm afraid of getting raped or worse. I have had many scary situations happen. While I was in a grocery store parking lot, a man came up from behind me while I was getting a shopping cart, put his arm around me tightly and started hitting on me. I had another guy show up at my house and try to get in saying he was a repair man and would not leave. This was after I caught him peering through the holes in my fence at me and would have continued to do so if I had not asked him what the fuck he wanted. I have had situations where I have been stuck in really bad areas of the city and had a man follow me for several blocks at night. I have been hiking by myself in the woods and have come across a group of men and I just think to myself fuck, if something happened to me out here I'd be fucked without a gun or some way to protect myself. This is only a snapshot of some of the shit I have had to deal with. And unfortunately, I know many women who have had similar situations.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
26-10-2015, 02:48 PM
Humans are not the only ones who use guns anymore it seems

anews.yahoo.com/dog-named-trigger-shoots-owner-foot-indiana-194207976.html

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze