Psychology of guns

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2015, 04:02 PM
RE: Psychology of guns
(27-10-2015 03:59 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 03:58 PM)epronovost Wrote:  What about Gollum or Nazgul. I have heard they target hobbits all the time.

Silly! That's what swords are for. Duh.

Dodgy Well played master hobbit...well played....

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
27-10-2015, 04:05 PM
Wonder what the publics reaction would be to someone walking around with a sword on their back or waist

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
27-10-2015, 04:07 PM
(27-10-2015 04:05 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Wonder what the publics reaction would be to someone walking around with a sword on their back or waist

I'd be happy to try it.

Sorry about the loss of manhood btw.
27-10-2015, 04:08 PM
(27-10-2015 04:07 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 04:05 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Wonder what the publics reaction would be to someone walking around with a sword on their back or waist

I'd be happy to try it.

Go for it and it's ok, did not use it much anyways

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
27-10-2015, 04:11 PM
(27-10-2015 04:08 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 04:07 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I'd be happy to try it.

Go for it and it's ok, did not use it much anyways

Tongue
27-10-2015, 04:35 PM
(27-10-2015 03:55 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  This is where not being a pretty girl comes in handy. Hobbits don't get assaulted so I don't need a gun Tongue

You're gorgeous. I am glad you haven't had any bad situations happen to you though.
27-10-2015, 04:36 PM
(27-10-2015 03:38 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 03:22 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Going to a crack house in the Tenderloin in San Francisco at 2am with wads of cash hanging out of my pockets would be putting myself in a dangerous situation.

Why do you know where crack houses in SF are? Consider

Hobo Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
27-10-2015, 05:45 PM
(27-10-2015 09:57 AM)epronovost Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 09:36 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  But I thought rubber bullets or plastic bullets were good for self-defense? You do realize you need a gun to shoot those right? So how can the gun not be worthwhile for protection but the bullets can?

Actualy my argument was more under the line that a gun shooting real bullets and a gun shooting plastic bullets are about has efficient to protect yourself from a predatory criminial (AKA a stranger who attack you). The real bullet might be a little bit more efficient because of its greater lethality, but not that much. In most situation where a criminal attack you, your chances of drawing a firearm before you are incapacitated are fairly low. All in all, they offer little actual protection and have a very limited use, but offer good psychological support which can help you avoid being targeted by criminals. The idea of a gun is much more useful and powerful than the gun itself.

The reason I favor non lethal weapons over lethal ones are mostly based around the idea that guns which fire real bullets create higher risks of injury to yourself and, apparently, suicide attempt compared to non lethal weapon. Considering my social status, sex, age and way of life. My chances of developping suicidal tendencies or being shot by accident while hunting are much higher than those of being attacked by a predatory criminal in a circomstance where my martial art training would be useless, but where a gun could have saved my skin.

Basically, if you have several means of protection that are about has efficient, its more wise to take the one that generate the less risk to your person has a secondary effect.

A lot of that sounds like opinion, not fact. Consider

Non-lethal bullets (which can, in fact, be lethal) can temporarily delay or disable an attacker. The shot must be quite accurately placed to have a real effect, e.g. hitting the arm or leg is more of an annoyance than a deterrent. It may give you a chance to escape or flee. However, there are many situations where retreat is not practicable , and for some people it is never practicable due to physical limitation.

Real bullets will have a much greater immediate effect, including a quite permanent one. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-10-2015, 05:52 PM
(27-10-2015 05:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 09:57 AM)epronovost Wrote:  Actualy my argument was more under the line that a gun shooting real bullets and a gun shooting plastic bullets are about has efficient to protect yourself from a predatory criminial (AKA a stranger who attack you). The real bullet might be a little bit more efficient because of its greater lethality, but not that much. In most situation where a criminal attack you, your chances of drawing a firearm before you are incapacitated are fairly low. All in all, they offer little actual protection and have a very limited use, but offer good psychological support which can help you avoid being targeted by criminals. The idea of a gun is much more useful and powerful than the gun itself.

The reason I favor non lethal weapons over lethal ones are mostly based around the idea that guns which fire real bullets create higher risks of injury to yourself and, apparently, suicide attempt compared to non lethal weapon. Considering my social status, sex, age and way of life. My chances of developping suicidal tendencies or being shot by accident while hunting are much higher than those of being attacked by a predatory criminal in a circomstance where my martial art training would be useless, but where a gun could have saved my skin.

Basically, if you have several means of protection that are about has efficient, its more wise to take the one that generate the less risk to your person has a secondary effect.

Non-lethal bullets (which can, in fact, be lethal)

I think the alternate name, Less-lethal fits the description better.

27-10-2015, 05:58 PM
(27-10-2015 05:52 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 05:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  Non-lethal bullets (which can, in fact, be lethal)

I think the alternate name, Less-lethal fits the description better.

You are right. Less-lethal should be the term employed. Legaly, martial arts are considered non lethal technics of defense. As a karate teacher and an advance student of White Crane kung-fu, I would say that's rather stupid.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.