Psychology of guns

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2015, 06:03 PM
RE: Psychology of guns
(26-10-2015 03:52 PM)julep Wrote:  I've been in similar situations also. I've had a man try to throw me into traffic in broad daylight, had men follow me, had a man stick a gun in my back ... I understand that feeling of having to always be on your guard and being afraid of what might happen.

I must say, every time I read about ISIS, or Mexican drug gangsters, or rapists, or war mongers, or red-faced sports fans, I think what we really need is "men control."

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2015, 06:12 PM
(27-10-2015 06:03 PM)claywise Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 03:52 PM)julep Wrote:  I've been in similar situations also. I've had a man try to throw me into traffic in broad daylight, had men follow me, had a man stick a gun in my back ... I understand that feeling of having to always be on your guard and being afraid of what might happen.

I must say, every time I read about ISIS, or Mexican drug gangsters, or rapists, or war mongers, or red-faced sports fans, I think what we really need is "men control."

Hey now, not all men are like that and women are not the only rape victims.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
27-10-2015, 06:17 PM
(27-10-2015 03:13 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 02:52 PM)Stevil Wrote:  We don't have bears or coyotes, or wolves or lions or tigers or pumas or bobcats etc
We do have wild pigs

We don't have tigers but we have everything else on that list. Bears and mountain lions [a/k/a pumas] don't often attack people, and my horse has a couple mountain lion friends, but I've been attacked by bears a few times but I spend a lot of time in the back mountains. However, sprinkle a little rabies in our high coyote population and you have a prescription for big trouble. I've had the rabies series vaccine and I don't want to go through that again and I really don't want my grandson to ever go through it.

A gun is just a tool with a fairly steep learning curve. Once you've gone over the learning curve, there is no reason for anyone to fear you.

Sorry, mate. Can't agree with you on how dangerous it is out there in the southern Rockies.

I walked the 500-mile Colorado Trail this summer, Denver to Durango, solo. Loved every second of it, never once felt fearful (though I did have a dream that a bear stomped my tent).

Meanwhile, there was this dude on the trail who made a big deal about the fact that he was packing. Everyone who met him said he'd come striding into camp and the first thing he said was, "Now, don't be afraid of me just because I have a gun! I brought it because ... bears!" (Later, perhaps because he wasn't getting the, 'Wow, we're really impressed!" reaction he wanted, he started saying his wife "made" him bring it for protection.)

If someone wants to bring a gun into the wilderness, no problem. But the people I met on the trail pretty much agreed that its just a) extra weight and b) an unnecessary injection of fear into a great experience.

And no, I'm not anti-gun, per se. I'm anti gun obsession.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
27-10-2015, 06:25 PM
(27-10-2015 06:12 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 06:03 PM)claywise Wrote:  I must say, every time I read about ISIS, or Mexican drug gangsters, or rapists, or war mongers, or red-faced sports fans, I think what we really need is "men control."

Hey now, not all men are like that and women are not the only rape victims.

Yes, I know. I like to think I'm a decent, non-creepy guy (and have never been told otherwise).

But come on, the vast majority of unsavory violence in the world is committed by us men.

Incidentally - and I'm sure some will read this as offensive - except if a woman were forcibly penetrating me, I've never quite understood how I could be "raped." To boot, if I'd had an attractive teacher come on to me as a teenager, I would have taken that opportunity hook, line, and sinker.

Not justifying rape or meaning to minimize it in any way. But I do think there are some pretty clear biological differences between males and females when it comes to sex drive.

I stand ready to be stoned.

27-10-2015, 06:41 PM
(27-10-2015 06:25 PM)claywise Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 06:12 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Hey now, not all men are like that and women are not the only rape victims.

Yes, I know. I like to think I'm a decent, non-creepy guy (and have never been told otherwise).

But come on, the vast majority of unsavory violence in the world is committed by us men.

Incidentally - and I'm sure some will read this as offensive - except if a woman were forcibly penetrating me, I've never quite understood how I could be "raped." To boot, if I'd had an attractive teacher come on to me as a teenager, I would have taken that opportunity hook, line, and sinker.

Not justifying rape or meaning to minimize it in any way. But I do think there are some pretty clear biological differences between males and females when it comes to sex drive.

I have a pretty high sex drive. Many women I know also have pretty high sex drives. I think men tend to underestimate a woman's desire for sex. Wink

On a side note, and maybe I misread your post, I am really hoping you are not using a man's sex drive as an explanation for rape.
27-10-2015, 06:46 PM
(27-10-2015 06:17 PM)claywise Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 03:13 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  We don't have tigers but we have everything else on that list. Bears and mountain lions [a/k/a pumas] don't often attack people, and my horse has a couple mountain lion friends, but I've been attacked by bears a few times but I spend a lot of time in the back mountains. However, sprinkle a little rabies in our high coyote population and you have a prescription for big trouble. I've had the rabies series vaccine and I don't want to go through that again and I really don't want my grandson to ever go through it.

A gun is just a tool with a fairly steep learning curve. Once you've gone over the learning curve, there is no reason for anyone to fear you.

Sorry, mate. Can't agree with you on how dangerous it is out there in the southern Rockies.

I walked the 500-mile Colorado Trail this summer, Denver to Durango, solo. Loved every second of it, never once felt fearful (though I did have a dream that a bear stomped my tent).

Meanwhile, there was this dude on the trail who made a big deal about the fact that he was packing. Everyone who met him said he'd come striding into camp and the first thing he said was, "Now, don't be afraid of me just because I have a gun! I brought it because ... bears!" (Later, perhaps because he wasn't getting the, 'Wow, we're really impressed!" reaction he wanted, he started saying his wife "made" him bring it for protection.)

If someone wants to bring a gun into the wilderness, no problem. But the people I met on the trail pretty much agreed that its just a) extra weight and b) an unnecessary injection of fear into a great experience.

And no, I'm not anti-gun, per se. I'm anti gun obsession.

I think for the most part hiking is a "safe" activity 95% of the time. It's the 5% of the time you should be prepared for and imo, it is foolish not to be prepared when going off into the woods with wild animals and people who could react in a variety of different ways. I belong to several hiking and backpacking forums and almost all of the people on those forums carry guns. That said, I don't think you should be a dick about having a gun like that guy you were describing in your post.
27-10-2015, 06:48 PM
(27-10-2015 06:41 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 06:25 PM)claywise Wrote:  Yes, I know. I like to think I'm a decent, non-creepy guy (and have never been told otherwise).

I have a pretty high sex drive. Many women I know also have pretty high sex drives. I think men tend to underestimate a woman's desire for sex. Wink

On a side note, and maybe I misread your post, I am really hoping you are not using a man's sex drive as an explanation for rape.

"Not justifying rape or meaning to minimize it in any way. But I do think there are some pretty clear biological differences between males and females when it comes to sex drive."

Did ya even read the entire sentence Tongue

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
27-10-2015, 06:50 PM
(27-10-2015 06:48 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 06:41 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I have a pretty high sex drive. Many women I know also have pretty high sex drives. I think men tend to underestimate a woman's desire for sex. Wink

"Not justifying rape or meaning to minimize it in any way. But I do think there are some pretty clear biological differences between males and females when it comes to sex drive."

I saw that but then the next sentence sure sounds like a justification.
27-10-2015, 06:51 PM
(27-10-2015 06:50 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 06:48 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  "Not justifying rape or meaning to minimize it in any way. But I do think there are some pretty clear biological differences between males and females when it comes to sex drive."

I saw that but then the next sentence sure sounds like a justification.

The next sentence was "I stand ready to be stoned." If anything sounds like he is ready to light up and get high.

[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
27-10-2015, 06:52 PM
I'm not saying I'm sexist, but.....
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post