Psychology of guns

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2015, 06:52 PM
RE: Psychology of guns
(27-10-2015 06:41 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I have a pretty high sex drive. Many women I know also have pretty high sex drives. I think men tend to underestimate a woman's desire for sex. Wink

On a side note, and maybe I misread your post, I am really hoping you are not using a man's sex drive as an explanation for rape.

Definitely not, though that's why I threw in all the caveats; it's easy to misunderstand. I've been adamantly, publicly anti-rape my whole life, including in print. There is no excuse for rape, end of story.

And believe me, I'm not saying women can't, or don't, have sex drives every bit as high as men's (as with anything, it depends also on the individual).

But there does seem to be a greater propensity among male mammals to, shall we say, be willing to hump everything that moves; females may be more discriminating (again, generalizations, but I do think biology bears this out).

It is, as I say, tricky territory.

There is an interesting science-fiction book, "The Shore of Women" by Pamela Sargent that takes place in a future where men are exiled outside of walled cities, and a religion and technology have been set up so the women can obtain semen. That may sound like the wet dream of a SCUM activist (look 'em up; stands for Society to Cut Up Men, and they are weeeiiiirrrd), the book actually does thoughtfully examine the issues and is not anti-men.

Male violence is cultural ... and biological. Watched (again) the pathetic video posted (by you, I think) earlier of the woman walking down NYC streets. Men notice women (or men) they are attracted to, but goddamn it, fellas, when you call out or comment, you are intruding ... you may think you are just giving her a compliment, but what you are really doing is imposing yourself on her.

I'm embarrassed by a rather large majority of my fellow men, frankly.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes claywise's post
27-10-2015, 06:57 PM
Edit: Nvm lol he answered.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
27-10-2015, 07:00 PM
Also this thread has really gone off track.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
27-10-2015, 07:02 PM
(27-10-2015 07:00 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Also this thread has really gone off track.

Agreed; my apologies.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
27-10-2015, 07:04 PM
(27-10-2015 07:02 PM)claywise Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 07:00 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Also this thread has really gone off track.

Agreed; my apologies.

No worries, would not be a TTA thread if it didn't at some point.

27-10-2015, 07:06 PM

From guns to the sex drive of women...yeah, makes total sense. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
27-10-2015, 07:09 PM
You'd think a gun comparison to sex drive would fit men better.

Point, bang, done.
27-10-2015, 07:12 PM
(27-10-2015 07:09 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  You'd think a gun comparison to sex drive would fit men better.

Point, bang, done.

Yeah, it would.

But when you need to get info out there...

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
27-10-2015, 07:12 PM
(27-10-2015 07:09 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  You'd think a gun comparison to sex drive would fit men better.

Point, bang, done.

Not always that easy, sometimes get jammed.

27-10-2015, 07:51 PM
(27-10-2015 06:17 PM)claywise Wrote:  Sorry, mate. Can't agree with you on how dangerous it is out there in the southern Rockies.

I walked the 500-mile Colorado Trail this summer, Denver to Durango, solo. Loved every second of it, never once felt fearful (though I did have a dream that a bear stomped my tent).

Meanwhile, there was this dude on the trail who made a big deal about the fact that he was packing. Everyone who met him said he'd come striding into camp and the first thing he said was, "Now, don't be afraid of me just because I have a gun! I brought it because ... bears!" (Later, perhaps because he wasn't getting the, 'Wow, we're really impressed!" reaction he wanted, he started saying his wife "made" him bring it for protection.)

If someone wants to bring a gun into the wilderness, no problem. But the people I met on the trail pretty much agreed that its just a) extra weight and b) an unnecessary injection of fear into a great experience.

And no, I'm not anti-gun, per se. I'm anti gun obsession.

We have different perspectives. I've spent 45 years in these mountains and I've seen people mauled by bears and I've seen lots of people who have been bitten by wild animals and who need to head to town to start the rabies shots [Which are very painful]. As a criminal defense lawyer, I've also defended people who have robbed backpackers and hikers. [I've defended about a half a dozen of these guys.]

Now, I don't care whether you carry or don't carry. That's entirely up to you. I don't think people who carry inject an unnecessary element of fear into the experience either. Most people I know never tell anyone they carry; I certainly do not. And, I can honestly say I do not fear ANYTHING. My own death is meaningless to me. However, I do not want rabid coyotes or feral dogs anywhere near my ranch where my family plays. I don't think I am gun obsessed but I will kill those animals every time I see them and I would venture a guess that you will too when you have children of your own. Keeping a gun handy is a good way to protect your family from that stuff. If I don't need the gun, great; if I do need it, it is a simple way to solve a problem. I will never go hiking with my grandson up the mountain adjacent to my ranch if I am not carrying a gun. If we run into aggressive coyotes as my son and I did, my grandson is not going to get bitten and there is not even going to be a risk of him getting bitten. Other people can try to fend them off with a stick but not me.Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post