Psychology of guns

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2015, 05:42 PM
RE: Psychology of guns
Quote:People that are pro-gun are generally very well versed in the safe use of firearms.

Yeah...they're all fucking geniuses.

http://aattp.org/dont-paint-us-as-ignora...s-himself/

Quote:‘Don’t Paint Us As Ignorant Hillbillies’ — Gun Nut Guarding Anti-Muslim Gun Store Accidentally Shoots Himself

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-10-2015, 05:48 PM
I think it's good to learn some martial arts techniques. I personally think all women should learn at least basic self-defense. If I had a child (especially a daughter), she would be taking martial arts classes.

I feel good learning how to fight and protect myself--but I know if I'm out in the woods somewhere by myself and there is a group of 4 guys, I am probably not going to be able to protect myself with martial arts against all 4 of them. That is why I want a gun. My options are to hike by myself and run the risk of something bad happening, hike with a guy (which why should I have to do that), not hike at all, or get a gun to hike with for peace of mind and protection.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
26-10-2015, 05:51 PM
(26-10-2015 05:42 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:People that are pro-gun are generally very well versed in the safe use of firearms.

Yeah...they're all fucking geniuses.

http://aattp.org/dont-paint-us-as-ignora...s-himself/

Quote:‘Don’t Paint Us As Ignorant Hillbillies’ — Gun Nut Guarding Anti-Muslim Gun Store Accidentally Shoots Himself

Because that's not a biased website at all. Also just because there are a couple of idiots does not mean they are all bad. So to you, all Muslims are terrorists right?

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
26-10-2015, 05:54 PM
(26-10-2015 05:48 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I think it's good to learn some martial arts techniques. I personally think all women should learn at least basic self-defense. If I had a child (especially a daughter), she would be taking martial arts classes.

I feel good learning how to fight and protect myself--but I know if I'm out in the woods somewhere by myself and there is a group of 4 guys, I am probably not going to be able to protect myself with martial arts against all 4 of them. That is why I want a gun. My options are to hike by myself and run the risk of something bad happening, hike with a guy (which why should I have to do that), not hike at all, or get a gun to hike with for peace of mind and protection.

Nothing wrong with martial arts, just won't help if the guy with the gun is not within reaching distance, unless you can run fast and get him before he can take a shot.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
26-10-2015, 07:18 PM
(26-10-2015 05:25 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 05:09 PM)epronovost Wrote:  I personnaly believe in non-lethal weapon like tasers, plastic bullet guns and good grasp of a martial art suited for your age, body type and sex to defend myself and it's the strategy I would recommand. Firearms are overkill and potentially dangerous in close encounters.

If they are even legal where you are, some states or places do not allow tasers. Martial Arts won't do any good against a gun from afar and guns that shoot rubber bullets are still firearms and rubber bullets are not very good for defending, they hurt but won't stop someone from shooting you, that's why they are mostly used for riot control and to break up protests.

I find it odd that area that allow personal firearms can prevent the use of taser weapon. What's the ogic behind it? As for rubber bullets, they can cause serious injury or even death if you shoot someone in the head. They can stop a person from attacking rather efficently. Note that shooting someone with a real bullet might not prevent him from shooting you too if you were shooting nearly simultaniously.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
26-10-2015, 07:27 PM
(26-10-2015 05:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 05:09 PM)epronovost Wrote:  I personnaly believe in non-lethal weapon like tasers, plastic bullet guns and good grasp of a martial art suited for your age, body type and sex to defend myself and it's the strategy I would recommand. Firearms are overkill and potentially dangerous in close encounters.

It may make you feel better believing that, but it is not a survivable strategy for most people.

Sincerely,
An armed Canadian Drinking Beverage

Statistically speaking, I am safer without gun since guns are used about as often to defend yourself as they are involved in accidental shooting (making them safety neutral). The most common use for a gun in Canada beside hunting is suicide (and its not even a very efficient fashion to kill yourself). Despite this, I still support your right to have a gun for any reason that don't involve the desire to commit a crime.

[+] 2 users Like epronovost's post
26-10-2015, 07:33 PM
(26-10-2015 05:54 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 05:48 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I think it's good to learn some martial arts techniques. I personally think all women should learn at least basic self-defense. If I had a child (especially a daughter), she would be taking martial arts classes.

Nothing wrong with martial arts, just won't help if the guy with the gun is not within reaching distance, unless you can run fast and get him before he can take a shot.

If a guy want to shoot you from more than ten feet away, having a gun in your pocket or worse in a locked gunsafe outside of reach from children like most gun owner do won't help much either. You will be dead before you can use it. The bad thing about self defense, is that you must be attacked first and with deadly weapons like guns in the equation, there might be no time for defense. In the same fashion, it will be useless if you get shanked by three gangsters while searching for the keys of your car. In the end there is no foolproof method to protect yourself.

[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
26-10-2015, 07:34 PM
(26-10-2015 07:18 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 05:25 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  If they are even legal where you are, some states or places do not allow tasers. Martial Arts won't do any good against a gun from afar and guns that shoot rubber bullets are still firearms and rubber bullets are not very good for defending, they hurt but won't stop someone from shooting you, that's why they are mostly used for riot control and to break up protests.

I find it odd that area that allow personal firearms can prevent the use of taser weapon. What's the ogic behind it? As for rubber bullets, they can cause serious injury or even death if you shoot someone in the head. They can stop a person from attacking rather efficently. Note that shooting someone with a real bullet might not prevent him from shooting you too if you were shooting nearly simultaniously.

Well if the chance I shoot first, I'd rather shoot a real bullet knowing I am going to at least injure him pretty badly rather than a rubber bullet which may just bounce off of him like shooting a bb gun at a whale.

26-10-2015, 07:42 PM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2015 08:11 PM by epronovost.)
(26-10-2015 07:34 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 07:18 PM)epronovost Wrote:  I find it odd that area that allow personal firearms can prevent the use of taser weapon. What's the ogic behind it? As for rubber bullets, they can cause serious injury or even death if you shoot someone in the head. They can stop a person from attacking rather efficently. Note that shooting someone with a real bullet might not prevent him from shooting you too if you were shooting nearly simultaniously.

Well if the chance I shoot first, I'd rather shoot a real bullet knowing I am going to at least injure him pretty badly rather than a rubber bullet which may just bounce off of him like shooting a bb gun at a whale.

Buy the plastic shell that have the same propelant than bullets. The only difference is that they are made of soft plastic. From personnal experience, they pack quite a punch and make the same noise than real gunfire (there is apparently a small difference, but I never noticed it). They realy give the illusion you have been shot by a real gun. It's not you paintball type of weapon. But, considering the real application of guns in a personnal defense scenario, go for the weapon that make you feel the safest and the strongest. Confidence, poise and general «moxy» is the most efficient repellent for predatory criminals. Why risk yourself against someone who will most likely put up a fight when you can prey on a nervous and vulnerable one?

26-10-2015, 08:18 PM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2015 08:25 PM by yakherder.)
Meh I started to type a long drawn out response, but fuck it what's the point? Let me just point out that I think some of you'd be surprised how many gun nuts are actually in Canada and not happy with the current gun laws. I know more than a few people who own guns legally, but illegally keep them loaded and next to their pillows. Granted, most of these people work in law enforcement and are more acutely aware of the dangers out there, not to mention more likely to be a target of retribution, than the general public. Hell when I worked in corrections we even uncovered a plot against me once. Regardless, I've personally made the decision to stay as armed as is legal and practical. South of the border, I've almost always got a semi-auto carbine either concealed (possible w/folding stock) on my person or in a carry pack at my side (I very rarely open carry). North of the border I carry a blade designed for quick draw and cutting through tendons, but small and inconspicuous enough that it doesn't look scary to an officer who doesn't understand the law himself, which I've found to be quite common. In my house I keep a slingshot next to my bed with .54 caliber lead balls, the intent being to put someone down long enough to get my blade into their kidney.

On a side note, assuming legitimacy in the content of the original article, why would I have any interest in not being aggressive in the first place? My governing philosophy revolves around controlled aggression to conquer my goals with maximum efficiency in a reality that is inherently unfair at best and hostile at worst. Pacifism is a joke in my world. But if you want to play nice and hope someone doesn't take advantage of your virtue (fear disguised as ethics), by all means go for it.

'Murican Canadian