Psychology of guns

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2015, 12:59 PM
RE: Psychology of guns
(27-10-2015 12:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I like bear spray best.

I also have bear pepper spray Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
27-10-2015, 01:00 PM
My concern about carrying is the responsibility for the safety and security of that gun, 24/7. Anybody can provide some statistics or examples, I am talking about the bottom line. This is a huge responsibility, to keep that gun out of the hands of anyone else, including children.
I own and used to carry and regularly practice, FYI.
27-10-2015, 01:37 PM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2015 01:41 PM by yakherder.)

He's right on one point. The spray is indeed very effective against bears. As for it's self defense applications against humans, I've gotta disagree with him on its usefulness...

He mentions that his mother keeps some bear spray in her dresser. Holy shit, I hope she never has to use it Tongue One of the main differences between bear spray and human spray is that human spray is generally designed to produce a more targeted stream (spray or foam). This is because you pretty much have to hit a determined attacker in the eyes for it to have any real effect. Bear spray is designed to act more like a fogger, spraying a higher volume farther and in a wider pattern. Great for a bear, with its senses being much more sensitive than those of humans, not so great for a human. A determined attacker that isn't a pansy like this guy isn't even gonna slow down. Unless, of course, it's used in a confined space. If his poor mother, for example, were to try and hit a home invader with that stuff indoors, even with a direct hit she'd be almost as incapacitated as the attacker. Do not, under any circumstances, use this stuff in a confined space unless your intention is to hit everyone in the vicinity, yourself included.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
27-10-2015, 01:48 PM
(27-10-2015 01:37 PM)yakherder Wrote:  

He's right on one point. The spray is indeed very effective against bears. As for it's self defense applications against humans, I've gotta disagree with him on its usefulness...

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
27-10-2015, 01:51 PM
I love guns. I shoot every week, I hunt, I build guns, I carry a handgun, and I load my own ammo. I hate discussions about guns because they usually get emotional. I've taught shooting in the Army and I've taught the Colorado concealed weapons course for 2 decades plus. The school where I teach teaches over 40 students a month and I don't know how many years they have been in business but I've taught for them for over 20 years. Some of our students are alive today ONLY because they took the course, gained proficiency with a handgun, and were able to stop an attacker. Most of them are women and nobody will ever convince them to give up their guns today. We have never had a student whose gun was turned against him/her and that is NOT going to happen to someone who is properly trained. We have never had a student who was charged with a firearms crime. We follow our students quite closely after they finish our course and we invite them back, free of charge, to shoot with us on range days to keep them proficient. Many of them take advantage of this.

One lady came back for a "tune-up" recently after shooting a serial rapist who was climbing in her apartment window. The cops had been trying to catch this guy for many months. He preyed on older women [ my student was 80 years old] and he would break in to their homes and beat them and rape them. He climbed in my students window and was met with a hail of bullets. Cops established he was the serial rapist through DNA testing.

I've never used a taser or bear spray but I will tell you this. In a life threatening situation I much prefer a bullet to pepper spray or an electrical shock.
[+] 7 users Like Black Eagle's post
27-10-2015, 01:56 PM
Pepper spray is good for tacos.....

Wink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
27-10-2015, 02:00 PM
(27-10-2015 01:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 01:37 PM)yakherder Wrote:  He's right on one point. The spray is indeed very effective against bears. As for it's self defense applications against humans, I've gotta disagree with him on its usefulness...

Add a touch of adrenaline and the outcome can be quite different. There are plenty of videos of people completely ignoring spray. Next time we do riot control training I'll have them use bear spray on me and I'll record it Tongue. Yeah, it hurts like hell. But after one or two times, or again with some actual aggression flowing through your system, the effects can be tolerated.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
27-10-2015, 02:00 PM
I love reading the stories on "The Armed Citizen" Page in American Rifleman Magazine. This (post 65) should be there!
27-10-2015, 02:01 PM
True -- it's possible to build up a tolerance to pepper spray...

I've yet to hear anyone claim to have a tolerance for high speed lead...........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
27-10-2015, 02:06 PM
(27-10-2015 01:37 PM)yakherder Wrote:  

He mentions that his mother keeps some bear spray in her dresser. Holy shit, I hope she never has to use it Tongue One of the main differences between bear spray and human spray is that human spray is generally designed to produce a more targeted stream (spray or foam). This is because you pretty much have to hit a determined attacker in the eyes for it to have any real effect. Bear spray is designed to act more like a fogger, spraying a higher volume farther and in a wider pattern. Great for a bear, with its senses being much more sensitive than those of humans, not so great for a human. A determined attacker that isn't a pansy like this guy isn't even gonna slow down. Unless, of course, it's used in a confined space. If his poor mother, for example, were to try and hit a home invader with that stuff indoors, even with a direct hit she'd be almost as incapacitated as the attacker. Do not, under any circumstances, use this stuff in a confined space unless your intention is to hit everyone in the vicinity, yourself included.

I would agree with you on that. Pepper spray can take a few second to take effect and will more often than not hit you at the same time. All in all, pepper spray is mostly useful against animals or if you possess a gaz mask. It's also good to note that around 10% of the population is extremely resistent to pepper spray and you can build a certain resistence to it.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post