Psychology of guns

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2015, 03:12 PM
RE: Psychology of guns
(27-10-2015 02:32 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 02:19 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I've legally carried a gun, every day for 14 years. I find myself AVOIDING situations where I might have previously gone...

I just shudder to think how much paperwork might be involved if I have to shoot some asshole who needs being shot..............
This doesn't make any logical sense. You were happy to take on the risk of being assaulted but not the risk of doing paper work.
And hence when carrying a gun you avoid certain places. Seems to me an easy solution to your problem would be to not take the gun then you have zero risk of doing the paperwork and by your logic this would then give you the freedom to go to those places.
Carrying everyday for 14 years, seems to me you don't do international travel then? Is that because it would seperate you from your needed gun? Does being dependant on a gun reduce your freedom?

Of course it doesn't make any logical sense -- it's gallows humor.... A joke?? You may have heard of such things....

I don't see where you drew the conclusion that I'm happy to take on the risk of being assaulted.....

And no -- I don't travel internationally. I have no need to. I'm quite happy where I am.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2015, 03:13 PM
(27-10-2015 02:52 PM)Stevil Wrote:  We don't have bears or coyotes, or wolves or lions or tigers or pumas or bobcats etc
We do have wild pigs

We don't have tigers but we have everything else on that list. Bears and mountain lions [a/k/a pumas] don't often attack people, and my horse has a couple mountain lion friends, but I've been attacked by bears a few times but I spend a lot of time in the back mountains. However, sprinkle a little rabies in our high coyote population and you have a prescription for big trouble. I've had the rabies series vaccine and I don't want to go through that again and I really don't want my grandson to ever go through it.

A gun is just a tool with a fairly steep learning curve. Once you've gone over the learning curve, there is no reason for anyone to fear you.
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
27-10-2015, 03:22 PM
(27-10-2015 02:19 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 02:09 PM)Stevil Wrote:  It seems (to me) that having a gun may make you brave and may result in you excercising less caution than you would if you didn't have a gun. Which ultimately may mean that your life is at more risk than it would be had you not had a gun

I've legally carried a gun, every day for 14 years. I find myself AVOIDING situations where I might have previously gone...

I just shudder to think how much paperwork might be involved if I have to shoot some asshole who needs being shot..............

That may be the best reason yet to carry a gun. Self-restraint. Thumbsup

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
27-10-2015, 03:22 PM
(27-10-2015 02:09 PM)Stevil Wrote:  If you feel the need to carry a gun then you seem to be putting yourself into dangerous situations. The gun may or may not save you.

It seems (to me) that having a gun may make you brave and may result in you excercising less caution than you would if you didn't have a gun. Which ultimately may mean that your life is at more risk than it would be had you not had a gun

Going to a crack house in the Tenderloin in San Francisco at 2am with wads of cash hanging out of my pockets would be putting myself in a dangerous situation. I don't view hiking by myself and enjoying nature to be the equivalent of that--but I do believe that it is wise to take precautions in order to be extra safe. Even if you hike with other people, the potential of something bad happening still exists.

Hiking is something I really enjoy doing and while I do enjoy going with a group of people or with a boyfriend, I also like just going by myself because it allows me time to just disconnect from everything and everybody. As BE mentioned in his post, unfortunately, there are situations that could potentially arise. I think it is good to be prepared if and when that happens, but that doesn't mean I should avoid doing something I love doing just because that potential exists. To me that is the equivalent of living in a bubble.
27-10-2015, 03:33 PM
(27-10-2015 02:34 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 02:09 PM)Stevil Wrote:  If you feel the need to carry a gun then you seem to be putting yourself into dangerous situations. The gun may or may not save you.

I don't know what it's like where you live, Stevil, but hiking out here in the Rockies can be dangerous no matter where you go. That is the nature of the Rocky Mountains and you have no control over the people you will meet on the back trails. There have been gangs that attack hikers and campers and you always hope you have picked a campsite where nobody will find you. Virtually everybody I know out here, with one or two exceptions, carries a handgun when hiking, camping, or fishing. The most common problems are the bears who come into your tent at 2:00 a.m. and you might get chewed up a little bit but you usually can get rid of them without shooting them. If you have a very young child with you, you may well need to kill the bear. There are also the robberies of campers. Hell, my son and I once got attacked by a couple of coyotes. We were archery hunting and my son put an arrow in each coyote before I could even react. They turned out to be rabid. By the way, there is a rabies epidemic in the southern Rockies right now. The stupid person is the one who goes out there unarmed.

A person with proper training is not going to be a threat to anybody but bad guys, bears, etc.

^ This ^
27-10-2015, 03:38 PM
(27-10-2015 03:22 PM)jennybee Wrote:  

It seems (to me) that having a gun may make you brave and may result in you excercising less caution than you would if you didn't have a gun. Which ultimately may mean that your life is at more risk than it would be had you not had a gun

Going to a crack house in the Tenderloin in San Francisco at 2am with wads of cash hanging out of my pockets would be putting myself in a dangerous situation.

Why do you know where crack houses in SF are? Consider

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
27-10-2015, 03:55 PM
This is where not being a pretty girl comes in handy. Hobbits don't get assaulted so I don't need a gun Tongue
27-10-2015, 03:58 PM
(27-10-2015 03:55 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  This is where not being a pretty girl comes in handy. Hobbits don't get assaulted so I don't need a gun Tongue

What about Gollum or Nazgul. I have heard they target hobbits all the time.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
27-10-2015, 03:59 PM
(27-10-2015 03:55 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  This is where not being a pretty girl comes in handy. Hobbits don't get assaulted so I don't need a gun Tongue

You not pretty? Psh yeah and I am not a man Dodgy

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
27-10-2015, 03:59 PM
(27-10-2015 03:58 PM)epronovost Wrote:  

What about Gollum or Nazgul. I have heard they target hobbits all the time.

Silly! That's what swords are for. Duh.
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post