Psychology of the Miami Uber "Attacker"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2016, 09:08 AM (This post was last modified: 31-01-2016 09:11 AM by Adrianime.)
RE: Psychology of the Miami Uber "Attacker"
(31-01-2016 07:30 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  She acted like an entitled, spoiled bitch. Whether charges were filed is irrelevant, (as are the threats ... bad as they are, they are a separate matter). She committed felony assault, destroyed his business records (or attempted to), and trespassed. If a man had done this to a woman, he would be locked up. She should be charged anyway. She publicly brought disrepute on her program and employer. She'll be terminated or suspended. "Leopards don't change their spots". No physician I know, would, in a million years act this way. She probably has a history of being an arrogant fuckwad. People don't just suddenly start acting this way, out of the blue. What's going on ? She's denying her behavior by "compartmentalizing" it and excusing it, saying "it's not me". Guess what bitch ? It IS you. Not to worry. She'll get a reality TV show offer, no doubt. If the driver had acted this way at her place of business, he would have been arrested. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compartmen...sychology)

I wouldn't put it past most people to act this way at some point in their lives. Behavior when you are intoxicated and emotionally damaged is not representative of the normal behavior of an individual. The people I know who know doctors tell me that doctors "party hard" because of how stressful their lives can be. It doesn't excuse her behavior, but her situation explains it to some extent. Demonizing her because of a single (and relatively harmless) incident is silly.

Also, what is the total damage towards this Uber driver that is worth raising a stink over? He was compensated (by her) and his business won't be affected. At best you could argue that he now might have a distrust of fear of passengers (which frankly, I would already have if I was him, which I why I will never be an Uber driver or get into an Uber).

And I disagree about the "if she were a man". I feel like she is being treated worse by the public because she is a female. If this were a guy I think the story would have blown over. As far as charges filed, it depends on the driver. I can't say whether or not he would have chosen to charge a male vs female.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
31-01-2016, 09:54 AM
(31-01-2016 07:30 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  She acted like an entitled, spoiled bitch. Whether charges were filed is irrelevant, (as are the threats ... bad as they are, they are a separate matter). She committed felony assault, destroyed his business records (or attempted to), and trespassed. If a man had done this to a woman, he would be locked up. She should be charged anyway. She publicly brought disrepute on her program and employer. She'll be terminated or suspended. "Leopards don't change their spots". No physician I know, would, in a million years act this way. She probably has a history of being an arrogant fuckwad. People don't just suddenly start acting this way, out of the blue. What's going on ? She's denying her behavior by "compartmentalizing" it and excusing it, saying "it's not me". Guess what bitch ? It IS you. Not to worry. She'll get a reality TV show offer, no doubt. If the driver had acted this way at her place of business, he would have been arrested. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compartmen...sychology)
I will say, that I've seen physicians behave the way she behaved. I've even seen this behavior from one physician to another: a first year resident was being berated in front of his peers and other staff over a non-issue and it went on for longer than this girl's rant. Having said that, though, I don't think "doctor" is a separate species of human being, rather, it's a vocation for some, perhaps, but only yields unique behavior to the profession so much. They are still "just people".

As far as her compartmentalizing ... this is what I'm most interested by. This response of hers. I mean, it seems like a classic response. Like it should be a textbook response of some kind. The things she says in her apology, about not being able to watch her behavior to the end, denying it's "her", etc. What is this called ? What psych phenomenon is it called ? I feel like it's on the tip of my tongue, but I'm not seeing it. Like it should be obvious. This behavior IS her, and she can't face it, or even admit to it fully in her own speech. So is this a textbook example of some type of disorder, or psychological phenomenon ? I keep mentioning cognitive dissonance, but that seems like only part ... ?

(31-01-2016 09:08 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  I wouldn't put it past most people to act this way at some point in their lives. Behavior when you are intoxicated and emotionally damaged is not representative of the normal behavior of an individual. The people I know who know doctors tell me that doctors "party hard" because of how stressful their lives can be. It doesn't excuse her behavior, but her situation explains it to some extent. Demonizing her because of a single (and relatively harmless) incident is silly.

Also, what is the total damage towards this Uber driver that is worth raising a stink over? He was compensated (by her) and his business won't be affected. At best you could argue that he now might have a distrust of fear of passengers (which frankly, I would already have if I was him, which I why I will never be an Uber driver or get into an Uber).

And I disagree about the "if she were a man". I feel like she is being treated worse by the public because she is a female. If this were a guy I think the story would have blown over. As far as charges filed, it depends on the driver. I can't say whether or not he would have chosen to charge a male vs female.
I would point out, that in her rant, she was playing the "I'm a small tiny girl" card on her own. IOW, one of the reasons her intoxicated display went in the direction it did go, was arguably BECAUSE she had an innate sense of entitlement due to her size/gender/etc. She kept mentioning it herself, as though she would get away with all she was doing BECAUSE she was a tiny 100 pound girl. So when her inhibitions were lowered, this side of her came out.

And not all doctors respond to the stress of their job the same. Depends on the person.

On a side note, what's interesting to me is her continued response in the media ... if she's ashamed, and doesn't want to receive threats, etc, then why go on national TV and advertise the threats and continue to make a thing about it on a national scale ? The attention ? It almost smells of histrionic tendencies. I mean, a part of her surely understands that the more attention she gives it, the worse it will likely become. So why continue on trying to bring it into the spotlight in the ways which she is doing ? Couple this with her inability to recognize her behavior fully, etc ... what is this all an example of from a psych standpoint ? Again, I'm thinking from a "case study" look.
31-01-2016, 09:58 AM
Her behavior is common regardless of her job, she was drunk and disorderly as well as abusive. Again, this happens every day of the year. Nothing special except it got caught on tape, she's female (usually jackass vids are of guys) and she has a career worth losing.

She's in denial of her own bad behaviors. Her "it's not me" is more "I stupidly humiliated myself by acting a bitch". Our whole society is one of "he did it". Taking ownership of our behaviors is not something we teach much anymore. So much easier to point fingers to someone else. Another, "I'm so sorry.... sorry I got caught."

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
31-01-2016, 10:22 AM
(30-01-2016 09:34 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  People screw up. People do things they regret. Must that brand them for the rest of their lives? Why are people holding on to hating her. The harm she has caused is NOTHING compared to the harm caused by so many others.

I feel bad for this girl. Am I too nice? I don't know. Do you all hate her?

I completely agree. She was drunk, she had had a bad day, and she snapped. This should not have been escalated like it was. It seems like her reputation before this incident was spotless, and NO ONE deserves a first time lapse of judgement to be put under the microscope like this. Especially knowing that she's righted the situation with the Uber driver.

She seems genuinely remorseful and there is no reason to think that this behavior was, or will be a pattern.

I think the only psychology issue to discuss here are the commenters to these videos who, after seeing a glimpse of this woman's life, felt it was appropriate to demonize her and suggest that she should have been raped for her transgression.

Was it the driver who posted the video, or was it a by-stander? Does anyone know? Also, she did the right thing by calling for a driver to take her home. Uber drivers know that they're going to be picking up drunk people and they need to be prepared to handle situations like this professionally.
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
31-01-2016, 10:40 AM
(30-01-2016 09:03 PM)Juice4Cheezits Wrote:  Hello, first post Smile

After seeing the video of the Miami physician who attacked the Uber driver, and then the follow up video where she apologized on national television, claimed she could not watch the entire video, claimed "When I look at the video, that's not me," etc ... I'm curious as to how you (whomever desires to respond to the thread) would break down what is going on psychologically with her response. Her shame, her inability to view her own behavior and accept it, her choice of phrases giving insight into her state of mind (i.e. "That's not me," and "I can't watch it," etc). I think one of the obvious things she is experiencing would be cognitive dissonance, for example. But what else ? For those who respond to the thread, I'd appreciate it if you would watch the video, and break it down from a psych point of view. Because she exhibits behavior that is quite common, in my opinion, concerning people who do not accept responsibility for their actions, who they are, thrive on cognitive dissonance, etc. So please feel free to give your take on the contrast between her actions with the driver, verses her position during her apology. Thanks !

Apology video, which shows some of the attack:

Her apology seems pretty honest to me. If you ever found yourself drunk and doing something incredibility stupid, looking back on it you'd probably say that isn't you either, or find it unbearable to watch.

What's interesting is how people on the internet have just vilified her beyond excess, her actions were deplorable. She's young, stupid, and probably did have a bad day, and drunk. Did anyone get hurt, no? Her and the driver already settled the issue between them. You don't see him with anywhere near the level of vitriol you found among folks online, who would like to see her life completely ruined by a single drunk incident in her life.

People really need to get over it, let her move on with her life. She's seem authentically ashamed of what she did, sorry for her actions, so give her a break already.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 4 users Like Tomasia's post
31-01-2016, 10:56 AM (This post was last modified: 31-01-2016 11:02 AM by Adrianime.)
(31-01-2016 09:54 AM)Juice4Cheezits Wrote:  I would point out, that in her rant, she was playing the "I'm a small tiny girl" card on her own. IOW, one of the reasons her intoxicated display went in the direction it did go, was arguably BECAUSE she had an innate sense of entitlement due to her size/gender/etc. She kept mentioning it herself, as though she would get away with all she was doing BECAUSE she was a tiny 100 pound girl. So when her inhibitions were lowered, this side of her came out.

On a side note, what's interesting to me is her continued response in the media ... if she's ashamed, and doesn't want to receive threats, etc, then why go on national TV and advertise the threats and continue to make a thing about it on a national scale ? The attention ? It almost smells of histrionic tendencies. I mean, a part of her surely understands that the more attention she gives it, the worse it will likely become. So why continue on trying to bring it into the spotlight in the ways which she is doing ? Couple this with her inability to recognize her behavior fully, etc ... what is this all an example of from a psych standpoint ? Again, I'm thinking from a "case study" look.
Still, I wouldn't put much of what people say when they are drunk under the microscope. Sure, she might have a (culturally supported) view of herself as a harmless little girl, which may have manifested in her intoxicated stupor. But I find it pointless to fixate on THAT when this behavior had other obvious catalysts (alcohol and end of a relationship).

If I were in her situation I might do what she is doing as a matter of safety. Making the public aware that she is receiving death threats and other harassment is certainly better than keeping it to herself or solely relying on law enforcement (which many times can't really do much until after something terrible has happened). It's just...sad that the public reaction to her putting this knowledge out there is still hostility.

This makes me think of how I view the word "Criminal". It's a label that tends to come along with fear or hostility in those who say it towards those who it is directed towards. But each "criminal" is an individual as well. Yet it seems, so often, that people want to wrap up an entire individual and use a single word to represent them, rather than try to view them from the angle of a fellow human who has made some mistakes. Possibly mistakes that anybody could have made if they were put in similar circumstances or raised in a similar way.

Put simply, after watching this video, the public reaction has mostly been "She is beneath me and doesn't deserve kindness, compassion, or understanding." I find that outlook pathetic.

Quote:And not all doctors respond to the stress of their job the same. Depends on the person.
Yes, I wouldn't say otherwise.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
31-01-2016, 11:00 AM
Personally, I'm not surprised by the commenters who demonize her, wish her ill will, etc. Mob mentality is nothing new, and it's much easier to participate in when one can do it from a distance (i.e. online attacks, leaving things on her car, calls, etc). To me, it's very similar to the depersonalization of using a gun: attempting to kill/harm/defend against someone with your bare hands, verses aiming a gun at them from a safe distance, are two wildly different things. One puts you at risk, the other you can do from a distance. A fast projectile does the dirty work, not your bare hands, so there is something depersonalized about it. Similar to online attacks and anonymous notes left on her car, etc. Such people would probably not say things to her face and risk physical confrontation, it's easier to do it from a distance. So that mob mentality doesn't surprise me. Animals gang up on one another, prey upon weaknesses, etc.

I just found her own response in her apology, to be almost textbook "something". And I'm curious what it is. Personally, I don't demonize her. Nor am I all that interested in her behavior towards the Uber driver. I'm more interested in the psychology behind her own response in her apology to her actions, and the contrast. But I'm sure I'll lose interest within the next 24 hours anyways, so lol.
[+] 1 user Likes Juice4Cheezits's post
31-01-2016, 11:12 AM
(31-01-2016 11:00 AM)Juice4Cheezits Wrote:  I just found her own response in her apology, to be almost textbook "something". And I'm curious what it is. Personally, I don't demonize her. Nor am I all that interested in her behavior towards the Uber driver. I'm more interested in the psychology behind her own response in her apology to her actions, and the contrast. But I'm sure I'll lose interest within the next 24 hours anyways, so lol.

Have you ever been drunk and done something you were totally embarrassment or ashamed of doing the next day? Her psychology seems to be exactly what you would expect from any remorseful person who did something like that while they were intoxicated, on a bad day.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 3 users Like Tomasia's post
31-01-2016, 11:58 AM
(31-01-2016 11:00 AM)Juice4Cheezits Wrote:  Personally, I'm not surprised by the commenters who demonize her, wish her ill will, etc. Mob mentality is nothing new, and it's much easier to participate in when one can do it from a distance (i.e. online attacks, leaving things on her car, calls, etc). To me, it's very similar to the depersonalization of using a gun: attempting to kill/harm/defend against someone with your bare hands, verses aiming a gun at them from a safe distance, are two wildly different things. One puts you at risk, the other you can do from a distance. A fast projectile does the dirty work, not your bare hands, so there is something depersonalized about it. Similar to online attacks and anonymous notes left on her car, etc. Such people would probably not say things to her face and risk physical confrontation, it's easier to do it from a distance. So that mob mentality doesn't surprise me. Animals gang up on one another, prey upon weaknesses, etc.

I just found her own response in her apology, to be almost textbook "something". And I'm curious what it is. Personally, I don't demonize her. Nor am I all that interested in her behavior towards the Uber driver. I'm more interested in the psychology behind her own response in her apology to her actions, and the contrast. But I'm sure I'll lose interest within the next 24 hours anyways, so lol.

The mob mentality is far worse than a drunk woman behaving inappropriately. We're not animals and behaving as such does no favors to our advancement as a species. This isn't expected behavior and it should not be tolerated or excused.

The poster of this video was wrong to put it on the internet. This may have been a public incident, and the law may be on the poster's side, but just because it's not illegal doesn't mean that it's not an expression poor, callous, and heartless judgment. This action has caused a disproportionate amount of backlash for this otherwise highly intelligent and talented woman and it will haunt her for the rest of her life. Why? For shits and giggles? Because someone decided on a whim that she deserved public humiliation?

Let's leave crime and punishment to the police and court system.
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
31-01-2016, 12:33 PM
She got drunk and lost her shit over some silly shit. Shit happens.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus