Psychology - sane choice?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2015, 09:18 PM
Psychology - sane choice?
It's no secret I have mental illness, as I've posted about it here. My counselor suggested that since I have a strong interest in both neurology and the mind I could consider going into psychology. I did enjoy a couple introductory courses in it long ago. A couple issues come to mind:

Can someone with chronic mental illness be a good psychologist?
I understand how some will immediately say yes, seeing as alcoholics do become sponsors and AA counselors. My ex is a psychologist, but only in the area of studies and not in counseling, and she had her own demons. I know it's possible. So I'm wondering, is it a good idea?

I've seen a few ask about secular counseling. Is or will this be useful?
The reason I even bother with this clinic is because it's the only one in my area that isn't faith-based. The others are either run by a church or are openly religious. This clinic mostly deals with court-mandated substance abuse clients, so I'm one of the very few who aren't there for substance abuse. I ask myself, with secularism on the rise, is this a field that will need those who are specifically interested in this? I've never had a counselor/therapist who overtly used religion, but is focusing on secular options even a worthwhile goal?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Clockwork's post
28-12-2015, 09:22 PM (This post was last modified: 28-12-2015 09:54 PM by Banjo.)
RE: Psychology - sane choice?
Rubbish post. See below.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
28-12-2015, 09:28 PM
(28-12-2015 09:18 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  It's no secret I have mental illness, as I've posted about it here. My counselor suggested that since I have a strong interest in both neurology and the mind I could consider going into psychology. I did enjoy a couple introductory courses in it long ago. A couple issues come to mind:

I understand how some will immediately say yes, seeing as alcoholics do become sponsors and AA counselors. My ex is a psychologist, but only in the area of studies and not in counseling, and she had her own demons. I know it's possible. So I'm wondering, is it a good idea?

The reason I even bother with this clinic is because it's the only one in my area that isn't faith-based. The others are either run by a church or are openly religious. This clinic mostly deals with court-mandated substance abuse clients, so I'm one of the very few who aren't there for substance abuse. I ask myself, with secularism on the rise, is this a field that will need those who are specifically interested in this? I've never had a counselor/therapist who overtly used religion, but is focusing on secular options even a worthwhile goal?

It would seem to me that someone who deals with such issues could have more empathy for patients/clients.

Yes, I do believe that there is a huge need for secular counseling. The counselor I went to when dealing with some issues a few years back was wonderful. She was so helpful...not once was religion or belief brought up other than a question asking if I had sought any other counseling in either a medical or faith-based setting.

I say check it out further and go for it if it seems right for you. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
28-12-2015, 09:49 PM
I think you would be great at this. If you are interested and you want to do it--go for it. The only thing I would say is just be aware of the coursework involved (I believe you need two degrees to be a psychologist and possibly depending on where you live, you may need to be board certified as well?). My point in saying this is that I know a few friends who graduated with a psych degree (bachelor's) and had trouble finding work with that degree alone. I guess my only advice would be to find out what type of schooling/certification is required and take it from there. I hope you pursue it, I know you would be wonderful at it Smile
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
28-12-2015, 09:53 PM
My reading comprehension is all over the shop. You want to be a psychologist. Forgive me. I am elsewhere today. Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
28-12-2015, 10:01 PM
(28-12-2015 09:53 PM)Banjo Wrote:  My reading comprehension is all over the shop. You want to be a psychologist. Forgive me. I am elsewhere today. Wink

Now I'm wondering what you originally thought. Smile

Jenny, yeah, here you'd need at least a master's degree and a certification. (And that's a huge obstacle.)
28-12-2015, 10:04 PM
(28-12-2015 10:01 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(28-12-2015 09:53 PM)Banjo Wrote:  My reading comprehension is all over the shop. You want to be a psychologist. Forgive me. I am elsewhere today. Wink

Now I'm wondering what you originally thought. Smile

Jenny, yeah, here you'd need at least a master's degree and a certification. (And that's a huge obstacle.)

And I think you mentioned before that school loans are a no, right?

Financially are you able to get a Bachelor's? The reason I ask is that some jobs will pay for you to go back to school to further your degree (i.e. masters). And some will pay for cert as well.
28-12-2015, 10:15 PM
(28-12-2015 09:18 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  It's no secret I have mental illness, as I've posted about it here. My counselor suggested that since I have a strong interest in both neurology and the mind I could consider going into psychology. I did enjoy a couple introductory courses in it long ago. A couple issues come to mind:

Can someone with chronic mental illness be a good psychologist? I don't know but you could talk to other professionals and psych professors if your illness would be a barrier or an insight.

I've seen a few ask about secular counseling. Is or will this be useful? In my opinion, YES! And more so as we continue to see atheists come out and nones who'll admit they have no need of churches.

I've never had a counselor/therapist who overtly used religion, but is focusing on secular options even a worthwhile goal? Very possibly as the secular are going to have to come to terms with dealing with the believers who don't accept them, politics who vilify them, family pressures and any issue where their atheism might enhance the problem.

Just my 2 cents.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post
28-12-2015, 10:17 PM
Yeah, no loans or grants available. I'm not even able to afford a diploma/certification course (like A+, Adobe certs, etc). So really it's more of a hypothetical question.

My main question was the first one. For instance, for alcoholics, I assume they have to wait until X number of days sober before being counselors. (I'm not sure how AA, et alia, work.) In mental illness, there is no test for suitability. My father was an alcoholic; even though I never saw him drunk, he still considered himself a drunk -- his words. Would that be a similar issue in mental illness?
28-12-2015, 10:20 PM
I just realized the thread title sounds like I'm asking if pursuing psychological help is sane. Ugh. Smile