Psychology - sane choice?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2015, 10:27 PM
RE: Psychology - sane choice?
(28-12-2015 10:17 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Yeah, no loans or grants available. I'm not even able to afford a diploma/certification course (like A+, Adobe certs, etc). So really it's more of a hypothetical question.

My main question was the first one. For instance, for alcoholics, I assume they have to wait until X number of days sober before being counselors. (I'm not sure how AA, et alia, work.) In mental illness, there is no test for suitability. My father was an alcoholic; even though I never saw him drunk, he still considered himself a drunk -- his words. Would that be a similar issue in mental illness?

I don't think your mental illness would stop you from being a counselor if you have it under control with medication, behavior modification, etc. As others have said, it could be an asset that you are able to understand how someone else is feeling firsthand. Don't let that stop you from pursuing your dreams if it is something you truly want to do.

If it were me, I would go to a local state college to the financial aid office and talk to them re: loans if you are interested in going back to school. The financial aid office may be able to help you or point you in the right direction re: funding.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
28-12-2015, 10:30 PM
(28-12-2015 10:27 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(28-12-2015 10:17 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Yeah, no loans or grants available. I'm not even able to afford a diploma/certification course (like A+, Adobe certs, etc). So really it's more of a hypothetical question.

My main question was the first one. For instance, for alcoholics, I assume they have to wait until X number of days sober before being counselors. (I'm not sure how AA, et alia, work.) In mental illness, there is no test for suitability. My father was an alcoholic; even though I never saw him drunk, he still considered himself a drunk -- his words. Would that be a similar issue in mental illness?

I don't think your mental illness would stop you from being a counselor if you have it under control with medication, behavior modification, etc. As others have said, it could be an asset that you are able to understand how someone else is feeling firsthand. Don't let that stop you from pursuing your dreams if it is something you truly want to do.

If it were me, I would go to a local state college to the financial aid office and talk to them re: loans if you are interested in going back to school. The financial aid office may be able to help you or point you in the right direction re: funding.

Just don't beat the crap out of one of your patients and you'll be fine. Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post
28-12-2015, 10:31 PM
(28-12-2015 10:30 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Just don't beat the crap out of one of your patients and you'll be fine. Big Grin

Well, shit, if you're going to tie my hands like that...
[+] 5 users Like Clockwork's post
28-12-2015, 10:46 PM
I don't know a single psychologist or psychologist that doesn't have a messed up family or whatever.

They're humans. Most I know are also in some sort of therapy to deal with their issues.

That said, they all also say it's therapeutic to help others.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
29-12-2015, 11:54 AM
You know the other thing you could do for funding for your degree(s) is to sell some of your artwork on etsy, art.com or amazon handmade. From what you posted in the member art--I know people would buy it. I would and I am picky about the things I put in my house Smile
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
29-12-2015, 12:11 PM
A lot of people who have suffered from various mental illnesses have gone into business as therapists and social workers. We are often drawn to what we know, and if we know misery, and we know what does and doesn't help, it can make for effective and compassionate therapists. The key, though, is to be well on your way to recovery before getting into a full-time profession. Someone who was abused as a child may want to have a good handle on who they are today, or the first time they hear stories of abuse their own PTSD will kick in and the therapist will be an ineffective helper.

So you're not on the wrong track, if you ever get the money thing figured out!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
30-12-2015, 06:51 PM
Psychology - sane choice?
If you can see yourself enjoying the class go for it! If it's something you like do it! Smile
[+] 1 user Likes musicharmony87's post
31-12-2015, 09:30 AM
I have a friend who is a therapist for abused children. She herself was an abused child. According to her, therapists go into that career because of their experiences, not in spite of their experiences.

Go for it.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
31-12-2015, 10:02 AM
(28-12-2015 09:18 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  is focusing on secular options even a worthwhile goal?

Definitely and much needed in my opinion.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
01-01-2016, 05:52 PM
There is scripture that teaches Christians not to even pray for those who have committed the unpardonable sin (rejecting Christ after having known him). You might point that out to your friend's son and explain that you have no interist in being saved. Been there, done that. http://christiananswers.net/q-eden/unpardonablesin.html