Public Displays of Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Public Displays of Religion
I really get annoyed at the constant references to religion in the media. I don't really watch TV and things very often, but I do see these references often. I don't even want to talk about politicians. Just makes me want to shake my head in disgust at some of the things that go on, and I'm not very knowledgeable about politics!

One common source of these references are in sports. "Thank God for letting me achieve such and such."

YOU WORKED HARD FOR YOUR ACHIEVEMENTS!! God didn't do anything!
Tim Tebow is an example, but he was extreme, and it was fun watching him. I liked his eccentricity compared to your average NFL player.
I see many players thanking God for their achievements all the time, and it just annoys me. Anyone else like this?
Jeremy Lin recently said something like: "I want to thank my family, bla bla, bla bla, ...", and here, I had a smile on my face, because of his incredible story. Then, he said: "And I'd just like to thank God... " and that kinda ruined it for me. I mean, he can believe what he wants, but it'd be nice to see a popular atheist once in a while.

I'd like to see an atheist run for president (U.S.), although I know he wouldn't get elected, and I doubt he could even get far enough to even make a run. I'd like to see him or her have an excellent track record, and be very popular, and then see what would happen once he said he was an atheist. I'd predict huge percentage drops, especially if he was republican, but it would expose the lack of concern for policies and intent and capability in office, and focus on religion, in a country where there is supposedly freedom of religion.

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned" - Anonymous
I am glad to live where there is no God, for I am moral, and mortal; I do not wish to worship He who crafts an immoral immortality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2012, 06:00 PM
RE: Public Displays of Religion
(24-02-2012 05:46 PM)nsguy1350 Wrote:  I'd like to see an atheist run for president (U.S.)

Oh, I'm pretty damn sure that plenty of atheist presidents have been elected. TJ's political opponents threw that one on him all the time, and I think they were right. Politicians just can't call themselves atheist, not openly. Not in a culture where sports stars thank God for helping them beat fellow Christian sports stars at sports games and are praised for their faithfulness to the Supreme, at least.
24-02-2012, 06:25 PM
We are the chosen team of God. We know this because we cut off our foreskins in the locker room after Coach spoke personally with God about this via the internet. God told Coach that if we did this we would win every game and inherit the land of Canaan, though we don't quite know where that land of Canaan is.

BTW, Obama is an atheist. He just claims Christian to get elected.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
24-02-2012, 06:36 PM
As a white guy in Asia, every other taxi driver asks me which team (English Football is huge in Asia) I support. I'm now in the habit of replying... "I'm an atheist, I don't worship any team"

What pisses me off is the vulture-like do-gooding after a disaster ... Headline: Father X Leads the Service of Memorial for etc.

But on a lighter note. How good was it when Ricky Gervaise pooh-poohed the whole thing at the end of Golden Globes with "...and thank you god.... for making me an atheist"
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
24-02-2012, 09:44 PM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2012 09:48 PM by free2011.)
(24-02-2012 06:36 PM)DLJ Wrote:  But on a lighter note. How good was it when Ricky Gervaise pooh-poohed the whole thing at the end of Golden Globes with "...and thank you god.... for making me an atheist"

Yes that was awesome. He is my new hero.

(24-02-2012 05:46 PM)nsguy1350 Wrote:  I'd like to see an atheist run for president (U.S.), although I know he wouldn't get elected, and I doubt he could even get far enough to even make a run.

The best chance for an atheist presidential candidate would be someone that is independently wealthy and can fund much of their own campaign. Of course, anybody like that is too damn smart to want to be President.

I wasn't . . . until I was
I am . . . until I'm not
25-02-2012, 12:38 AM
(24-02-2012 05:46 PM)nsguy1350 Wrote:  I really get annoyed at the constant references to religion in the media. I don't really watch TV and things very often, but I do see these references often. I don't even want to talk about politicians. Just makes me want to shake my head in disgust at some of the things that go on, and I'm not very knowledgeable about politics!

One common source of these references are in sports. "Thank God for letting me achieve such and such."

YOU WORKED HARD FOR YOUR ACHIEVEMENTS!! God didn't do anything!
Tim Tebow is an example, but he was extreme, and it was fun watching him. I liked his eccentricity compared to your average NFL player.
I see many players thanking God for their achievements all the time, and it just annoys me. Anyone else like this?
Jeremy Lin recently said something like: "I want to thank my family, bla bla, bla bla, ...", and here, I had a smile on my face, because of his incredible story. Then, he said: "And I'd just like to thank God... " and that kinda ruined it for me. I mean, he can believe what he wants, but it'd be nice to see a popular atheist once in a while.

I'd like to see an atheist run for president (U.S.), although I know he wouldn't get elected, and I doubt he could even get far enough to even make a run. I'd like to see him or her have an excellent track record, and be very popular, and then see what would happen once he said he was an atheist. I'd predict huge percentage drops, especially if he was republican, but it would expose the lack of concern for policies and intent and capability in office, and focus on religion, in a country where there is supposedly freedom of religion.

I plan on being the first to openly admit it. Of course I'll have to wait a bit later in life but its a goal I am planning on reaching.

People shouldn't thank some all mighty being into believing that God prefers a wealthy athlete over starving people.

It just shocks me people can't believe in themselves and have to resort to some flying noodle based being for their achievements. Of course their training, coaching and teamwork has nothing to do with their win.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
25-02-2012, 05:34 AM
In egypt mosques are built with tax money and muslim preachers get a government paycheck

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus