Public Education Rant

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Public Education Rant
Hey guys. Just wanted to get this off my chest since it's been bugging me all day.

Well, today while I was in my Environmental Science call, we had a substitute teacher due to the fact that my teacher was sick today. Now usually substitute teachers (for me at least) don't really know too much about the subject that is being taught. But in all honesty, he was one of the coolest substitutes I've ever had. He's was a very intellectual fellow (and he had a pretty cool coin collection), and he was just an all around cool guy.

The kids in my class, however, really aren't the respectful type at all. Throughout the majority of the class period they constantly made fun of him for what he said. Even when he was relating to us the best he could they still continued to make snide comments at him to the point where he had to go get the principal and say that the couldn't teach this class due to some of these students.

It really upset me and made me feel really sorry for the guy. He did nothing wrong but yet he constantly got harassed. I just don't understand why some students can't be respectful towards teachers when they are trying their best to actually HELP them learn new things even if they do not think it's important.

Sorry if I'm just rambling on. It really upset me and I needed to get it off my chest. Some students just baffle me with their lack of respect for teachers. Does anybody else have these problems in their high school/college? Or do I just have the most disrespectful school district in America?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2013, 06:04 PM
RE: Public Education Rant
Pass.

I never went to high school/college.

Are you implying (by the thread title) that this does not happen in Private Education?

22-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Are you implying (by the thread title) that this does not happen in Private Education?
[/quote]
I didn't add Private Education because I have no experience with it nor do I know anyone in Private Education. Sorry that I left that out. I just wasn't too sure on it.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people. - Carl Sagan
22-10-2013, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 22-10-2013 06:39 PM by ridethespiral.)
Back in 9th grade I was in honors biology and for whatever (incredibly stupid) reason some administrator decided to put the 10th grade drop outs into 9th grade honors bio. We also had a little mousy Asian woman named Miss Chun who was fresh out of private school for a teacher and a brand new bio lab 2 floors above a preschool...

Some of the things that transpired in no particular order:

Some kid named Eric took the keys to all the lab drawers in class and sold them for $0.50 a piece but kept copies for himself.
Chun's phone wound up in the ceiling more than once.
Chun's fan was absconded with on multiple occasions
Chun's pencils, erasers, markers, answer keys, etc where all pilfered at various points
Chun's efforts at maintaining order where met with open defiant laughter
Chun was driven out of the room in tears on more than one occasion
Administrators came and went but lasting order was never established
Dead crickets and paper towel rolls where hewn out the window at pre-schoolers.
Countless Chun charactures where drawn and circulated
2 sinks where turned into water fountains
Every test was open book...only they where not supposed to be
We played 'Scorched Earth' daily on my Palm Pilot until Eric got it taken away...He then proceeded to steal it back (along with some other stuff) mid lecture.
Even the most dedicated students broke down and started bringing in novels (I read the first few chapters of the smart girl's copy of Lolita and in retrospect she probably needed a good poking)

...Chun quit
.......Nobody learned anything

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
22-10-2013, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2013 01:37 PM by Ferdinand.)
Man, you will find disrespect almost anywhere in the world. The entire world is drowning in it. Sad
25-10-2013, 04:43 PM
I've experienced it both ways, students disrespecting teachers and teachers disrespecting students. It's a shame it happens.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
25-10-2013, 05:32 PM
I really don't know what made some teachers cool, while others were treated like shit. I do know why the strict assholes were mostly treated with respect...

I had an art teacher who seemed to be cool with pretty much anything, and she was treated with respect. I also had a really hot science teacher who was pretty laid back, and she got respect. And the photography teacher was everybodys friend, he was cool too. But the geography teacher was treated like shit... and I still don't know why. She was attractive, kind, knowledgeable and seemed very similar to the other "nice" teachers... It was so disturbing, frustrating, sad, and aggrivating to see her leave the room in tears.