Public 'Education'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2013, 03:22 AM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2013 04:26 AM by Nappa.)
Public 'Education'
I was not taught enough in school. It's plain and simple I was simply not taught enough! Textbooks of nothing which were about something! In history I was taught nothing! nothing! NOTHING! Save for a few scattered bits of information. Oh but I was taught about American history! Oh yes siree I was! (even though I wasn't taught the other 'darker' half).

Anything involving the caliphates and persia when did I learn about them? I never did! Save for the incident of Thermopylae and Alexander the great. I never learned about them. Sure I learned a bit of 'english' history and a little bit of french, but those were mid section events. I was never taught about the beginnings of europe, the beginnings of the middle east or africa. (and certainly not the beginnings of asia who I might as well just consider another planet) I did not learn of how civilization evolved and into what political and ethnic factions they would identify themselves with. And after that I was never given a detailed general depiction of the social, cultural, and political timeline.

Instead I learned a little bit of joan of arc, the crusades (but not their betrayal of the byzanines), speaking of the byzantines, you can bet your sweat pieces of eight that I was taught about how the roman empire converted to christianity, constantine, the schism of the church. Now that I think about it I don't know if I could call the history I learned as secular. Note to self, that might be what helps influence 'mericans so much.

But seriously history in our public 'education' is biased as fuck! Maybe that's why I preferred math and science, because math is never biased, and science is science. Sorry, but I'm just a little peeved at how... 18,000 hours/750 days of my time could have been squandered on so little information. Besides if I had it my way 'higher education' for what that's worth would be mandatory AND FREE!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2013, 04:23 AM
RE: Public 'Eduction'
(17-01-2013 03:22 AM)Nappa Wrote:  Besides if I had it my way 'higher education' for what that's worth would be mandatory AND FREE!
Free I can understand and agree with, but mandatory? Really? That seems bizarre.

[Image: opforum1.png]
17-01-2013, 04:31 AM
RE: Public 'Eduction'
(17-01-2013 04:23 AM)frankiej Wrote:  
(17-01-2013 03:22 AM)Nappa Wrote:  Besides if I had it my way 'higher education' for what that's worth would be mandatory AND FREE!
Free I can understand and agree with, but mandatory? Really? That seems bizarre.
Everyone should be treated equally, and given equal opportunities. Don't even get me started on the reforms I'd make for the curriculum. To quote Major Payne "I'm gonna make you STRONG"... intellectually.
17-01-2013, 05:11 AM
RE: Public 'Education'
This doesn't look like the right section... Odd.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
17-01-2013, 06:02 AM
(17-01-2013 05:11 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  This doesn't look like the right section... Odd.

I'm sorry I was only taught one spoken language and one written language in school, which both happen to be english god forbid I learn arabic and spanish as well! And I had poor english teachers at times.
17-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Re: Public 'Education'
Yes the educational system is flawed, especially in much of the US. What's curious is your fascination with ideas of teaching other facts and informational ditbits.

I see you say you were never taught about Asia much, interesting, could that be why you claim Japan has no morals?

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
17-01-2013, 09:10 AM
(17-01-2013 09:03 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Yes the educational system is flawed, especially in much of the US. What's curious is your fascination with ideas of teaching other facts and informational ditbits.

I see you say you were never taught about Asia much, interesting, could that be why you claim Japan has no morals?
Sorry did I say Japan? I meant China. Someone get's run over in China? Just keep on driving.
17-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Those filthy commie reds.

They got themselves no dignity t'all.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
17-01-2013, 11:57 AM
(17-01-2013 11:54 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Those filthy commie reds.

They got themselves no dignity t'all.
Now that you mention it Russia has some real social issues as well.
17-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Everywhere has social problems. That fact will never change as long as humans are able to maintain the balance of the individualistic - large herd/clan based social structure which itself all but guarantees that societies will have problems due to the individualist nature we humans have as that will always cause conflicts through lesser emotions such as greed.

You speak of mandatory and free higher education?

It's not just the US, or China or Russia that can be singled out, to my knowledge, there is no nation on earth which has the massive resources needed to balance a mandatory, high level educative infrastructure as well as having other forms of hard and soft infrastructure at a high level as well, the only possibility I can think of that might be an exception in today's world would be Japan; it is able to afford a reasonably high level of education because of it's stranglehold on technological development which provides a powerful economy, however it has weakened infrastructure in other areas as a result.

To make high level education mandatory and free, you would have to subtract significantly from other important hard and soft infrastructure within the nation such as law enforcement, disaster response programmes, defence programmes, medical and industrial infrastructure, transportation, water, energy, communications, waste disposal, Earth monitoring networks. Every one would see a decrease in funding and resources due to the undoubtedly enormous amount the purposed educative system would eat up. That problem would not be helped by the inevitable population growth, which would tax the weakened areas even more, whilst taxing the educative system too.

Besides, putting the resources aside, education on such a scale would not remove social issues, unless of course you go the path of North Korea, wherein the educative system is surprisingly high level, but filled with propaganda and indoctrination methods. Or you could force everybody to be educated in sociological sciences, that might help a little, but it's not going to do much.

Your idealistic views are admirable certainly, especially giving everybody the same educative opportunities, but, I submit to you sir, that it is simply infeasible.

[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post